• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Landscaping Pros

I'd recommend against the weed barrier.  Sounds good.  But it pretty much kills and dries out everything underneath.  I actually just ripped the weed barrier out of my front yard, because it didn't prevent weeds, and wouldn't let my groundcover grow.  Around trees might be a different story.  But so far, my experience with weed barrier is it's a waste.  Better to just go with a think layer of mulch.

This is true to an extent, although I have a decent slope in my yard (4'-8') , and all my ground cover filled in nicely. Maybe it depends on if your groundcover needs to root as it branches out, then weed fabric would be problematic.  I'm no expert in fabrics, but some are more permeable (lets water and oxygen through) than others. 

We bought our house right before Christmas, 2013. We have a big front yard and a rather large slope (corner lot). There must've been 25 different trees (orange, peach, apple, lemon, pepper, etc..) on the slope as well as hedges in front of the retaining wall around the entire property.

We got rid of everything except for the Macadamia nut tree in the front. Now, we need to figure out what to do, primarily with the slope itself. *I'm thinking ivy... Wife is thinking expensive. 

There's still some clean up to do. And, there are like 20-30 tall sprinkler heads we need to remove. (Do I need to remove the entire system - pipes underground?)

The fig tree at the top is now gone.

Ideas? Thoughts? Bad jokes about Mexicans? Good jokes?

I am a huge fan of succulents so I would plant succulents in the shape of a penis.

Juniper can be kind of a pain in the ass to upkeep

I find it quite easy.

Twice a year trimming. Planted every three feet, they will grow and spread out covering the ground. Use mulch to fill in the gaps the first couple years.

I'd suggest leaving the terrace.  You will not have as many drainage issues.  I'd also suggest the dry stacked stone walls.  They're cheap and as long as they're not too high, they won't require permits but will hold back the soil.  Furthermore, I'd suggest picking plantings that go with your home's architectural style.  A safe bet are Mediterranean plantings.  They're drought tolerant when mature and bloom often. 

I"d not put any type of vegetative ground cover.  As some have stated, they tend to overwhelm the space and are natural hiding spaces for vermin. 

I do use landscape fabric and because of the drip system, I don't have any problems with weeds.  Or rarely.  Others stated that putting 1 1/2 inches or so of mulch does the same thing.  I agree. However, natural mulch biodegrades over time and can fly away during windy periods, both of which, if untended, will lead to weeds.  I prefer to cover my fabric with 3/8 pea gravel.  It's heavy and permanent and fits well with the Mediterranean landscape that I prefer.   

If you put enough down.  1-2 inches.  Problem is mulch on a slope won't hold.  When it rains next decade, it will all wash away.

Not necessarily because his slope is tiered.

The bastard slope I encumbered that wasn't directly on property lines was much like Adam's but a more severe grade and 10-20'....just a legit, steep, straight slope. Maybe it was by accident that mine held up because of the grade I simply had to use more wood chips due to gravity. The slope and gravity won't allow you to go light with the chips because it won't hold, his will.

I kind of like Adam's setup, he has quite a few options.

Drill 1/2" holes, multiple holes, into each stump but not all the way through, then fill them with stump remover, or the poor man's version: gas.   They'll die.    But I'd recommend getting them ground.  If you wait for the rot out, as they decay the slope will sink in.  Better to bite the bullet and have them ground out then filled in before you relandscape in my opinion. (if of course you are doing any grading.)

I'd stay away from Ivy.  That's a rodent haven.  Good times with all the rats you'll attract.

Queen palms in socal are super easy.  You can get small ones on the cheap too at Home Depot or Lowes (they alternate sales) and they do grow very fast.   (They also do not have invasive root balls like other popular socal trees such as Liquid Amber or Ficus).  Just build a little dirt well around each one.  Then irrigate with a dripline system.  SUPER easy to install drip line and the water goes where you want it to go. 

Then fill in with some Hibiscus.  Another well plant with drip lines.  The red and orange flowered ones do better than the yellow in my experience.  Fairly low maintenance.  If they get aphids just buy some Hibsicus/Rose soap (in a spray bottle) and hose them down.  

And I agree with Brandon, go with wood chips/mulch everywhere else.  Your water bill will be happier if you just drip line to the trees and shrubs.  Plus you'll not have ground cover that is home to vermin and trash.  Don't waste your time with weed fabric/barrier under the chips, just make them at least an inch to inch and a half deep.  Nothing will grow under them.  No sun and no water.  If a couple weeds pop up, hit them with some round up.  You can even strike the gunfighter pose from the TV commercials if you want.  

No need to remove the old system unless you find it ugly.  Just cut it and cap it, or go from that original valve to the new drip line.  Leave the old piping in your slope, it doesn't hurt anything.

Saw someone say to stucco and cap that wall.  Might not want to do that.  If the wall has cracks in the mortar already then water will get in behind the stucco, and can cause it to lift, and crumble/fall off.   I had this happen on my back yard wall.  Sucked big time and was fugly.   If the wall has been there a long time I wouldn't trust it.  Capping isn't a bad idea though, that can make a wall look night and day more expensive at minimal cost.

Damn, Biergott. I didn't know you're a Mexicano.

Paletas on me, esé