• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2017 Minor League Statlines & Prospects thread

9 minutes ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

Hermosillo has a consistently garbage SB success rate, that needs reigned in because it's more detrimental than anything.

He's gotten better at every level at stealing bases. I don't think he's a guy who will steal 50 bags a year, but if he smartens up on the basepaths a bit he could easily steal 25-30 a year. 

1 hour ago, tdawg87 said:

He's gotten better at every level at stealing bases. I don't think he's a guy who will steal 50 bags a year, but if he smartens up on the basepaths a bit he could easily steal 25-30 a year. 

This

Started off at 71% in 2014 (10 for 14), then fell off to 60% in 2015 (24 for 40) and to 50% in 2016 (10 for 20), before improving back up to 71% so far in 2017 (22 for 31).   Obviously, there's always room for improvement.   Gotta like the aggressive running so far in 2017 (on pace for almost 50 attempts).

He's had OBPs of .402 and .383 since 2016.   Sounds like leadoff material to me, just needs to tweak down the Ks a little. 

I was surprised to see his XBH's being lower than expected given how hard he hits the ball.    Does he have potential to put together say a 25-30 doubles and 5-7 triples season at the MLB level?   His base stealing would of course turn some of the singles into doubles. 

Power is the last tool to develop. Herm's the strongest, most athletic prospect we've had reach the upper minors since Trout. The pull power won't go away, but I think eventually, he'll have the gap to gap and straightaway CF power of Yunel Escobar. 

Before it's all said and done, I think Hermosillo turns into a .260/.350 30 DB 15 HR 20 SB hitter with very good defense in the corner OF. A solid everyday regular.

12 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

Power is the last tool to develop. Herm's the strongest, most athletic prospect we've had reach the upper minors since Trout. The pull power won't go away, but I think eventually, he'll have the gap to gap and straightaway CF power of Yunel Escobar. 

Before it's all said and done, I think Hermosillo turns into a .260/.350 30 DB 15 HR 20 SB hitter with very good defense in the corner OF. A solid everyday regular.

little bit of a Hunter-esque line right there.

2 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

This

Started off at 71% in 2014 (10 for 14), then fell off to 60% in 2015 (24 for 40) and to 50% in 2016 (10 for 20), before improving back up to 71% so far in 2017 (22 for 31).   Obviously, there's always room for improvement.   Gotta like the aggressive running so far in 2017 (on pace for almost 50 attempts).

He's had OBPs of .402 and .383 since 2016.   Sounds like leadoff material to me, just needs to tweak down the Ks a little. 

I was surprised to see his XBH's being lower than expected given how hard he hits the ball.    Does he have potential to put together say a 25-30 doubles and 5-7 triples season at the MLB level?   His base stealing would of course turn some of the singles into doubles. 

Fangraphs rule of thumb is that SB success rate needs to be over 75% to be beneficial. He hasn't reached that once.

Sure hope he can improve that.

54 minutes ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

Fangraphs rule of thumb is that SB success rate needs to be over 75% to be beneficial. He hasn't reached that once.

Sure hope he can improve that.

That's just a general rule. It depends on the environment of the league at the time. It's probably a little higher right now because of the number of HRs. 4 years ago it was probably less because of the low run scoring environment.

48 minutes ago, totdprods said:

So, Hermosillo = Adam Eaton, Jahmai Jones = Torii Hunter, Brandon Marsh = Josh Reddick, Jordon Adell = Adam Jones, right? 

'Cause that'd be cool.

Adell is a lot faster than Jones ever was, and has better bat speed, though less controlled strength and refinement. I think Adell is the best of Jason Heyward.

1 minute ago, Scotty@AW said:

Adell is a lot faster than Jones ever was, and has better bat speed, though less controlled strength and refinement. I think Adell is the best of Jason Heyward.

Funny you say that, he looks a lot like Heyward appearance wise. 

8 hours ago, totdprods said:

So, Hermosillo = Adam Eaton, Jahmai Jones = Torii Hunter, Brandon Marsh = Josh Reddick, Jordon Adell = Adam Jones, right? 

'Cause that'd be cool.

That's a nice comp list - all borderline stars, but probably not true stars. The only thing I'd say is that those are all median comps - what you can expect assuming they all follow the expected developmental path. I think one of them surpasses their comp, one falls short, while two reach the comp.

That said, I think Marsh is toolsier and more dynamic than Reddick. I don't see Jones with Torri's power, but maybe a bit more speed and on-base potential. I love the Hermosillo-Eaton comp. As for Adell-Jones, I'm hoping JoAd develops a bit more plate discipline, which is what has kept Jones from being a true star. But obvious Jones has been a very good player and would be a good outcome for Adell.

It seems to early to get good comps on Pearson and Deveaux, the other members of the Angels' sextet of talented young outfielders.

@Dochalo, I like such ideas on paper but there's a reason they're "outside the box": they rarely work. Very few players can make such a radical shift as the OF to middle infield, unless of course Jones has recently played some 2B. But the problem isn't that he couldn't do it, but that it could potentially delay his development as a hitter.

To put it another way, right now he's doing two main things: developing his hitting and fielding. If he were to transition to 2B, he'd be adding a third thing: learning a new position. Maybe he adjusts and is back on track quickly, or maybe it gets him out of whack and his whole performance suffers and his development slows. I'd rather not mess with it.

Now maybe someone like Pearson - who is another talented player who projects as a future major leaguer, but is in the next tier of OF talent behind Adell, Jones, and Marsh.

Couple different names stood out to me from yesterday's box scores:
Jose Suarez: 19 year old lefty in Burlington, 5 IP, 1 H, 9 K
His July: 3 GS, 14.2 IP, 9 H, 4 ER, 0 HR, 4 BB, 26 K

Also of note in Burlington, Erik Manoah, our Midwest League All-Start (with Baldoquin) whom we received for Salas:
On the season, 17 G, 14 GS, 75.1 IP, 3.94 ERA, 1.43 WHIP, and a 3.50 ERA over his last 10 starts. 
Walks are too high (4.9 BB/9) but still putting up some quality production. The player isn't as important to me as is the fact that this is further evidence Eppler and Co. did a fantastic job of turning Joe Smith and Fernando Salas into decent minor leaguers.

And in the DSL, 19-year old switch-hitting OF Miguel de la Cruz hit his 3rd HR.
That may not seem like a big deal, but typically that team only hits a dozen or so HR's a year, and hitting as many as 2 is a rare event. At 5'11" and only 170, it isn't like he has a slugger's build, and it may be total fluke, but it caught my eye. 29 BBs to 30 K's too.

26 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Wait, we have a 19 year old LH pitcher in A ball? 

He's been a little under the radar this year because he started pretty poorly but he's coming around. 
He's on the slighter side, 5'10" 170, but his last few games have shown that he's starting to come around to the Midwest League hitters. 

2015 (17 years old, AZL/DSL Angels):
15 G, 13 GS, 72.2 IP, 1.14 WHIP, 2.97 ERA, 8.8 H9, 0 HR9 1.5 BB9, 5.7 K9

2016 (18 years old, AZL/Orem):
12 G, 6 GS, 44.2 IP, 1.522 WHIP, 4.84 ERA, 10.9 H9, 0.2 HR9, 2.8 BB9, 10.7 K9

2017 (19 years old, Burlington):
7 G/GS, 30 IP, 1.37 WHIP, 5.10 ERA, 9.3 H9, 1.2 HR9, 3 BB9, 12 K9

Not the prettiest line, and his K9 has been really inflated the last three starts, but I'm going to be watching him a lot more closely.

Any idea how hard he throws? Obviously his build isn't typical of a starter, but that doesn't mean he can't be successful. I was just surprised because 19 seems to be very young for a pitcher to be at A ball unless they're legit as fuck.