• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2017 Minor League Statlines & Prospects thread

My motto on gear is don't use it unless it makes you better. I used to want to wear a shin guard batting because Wally Joyner did, until I realized my game was predicated on speed and I hated getting down the line wearing one of those. I imagine wearing those bulky elbow pads is cumbersome but most players don't seem to mind it. 

So I say if the guard gives you peace of mind when sliding, go ahead and wear it. Trout has slid head first a thousand times in his life, and this was a freak accident. If he or anyone else doesn't want to wear the guard, then fine by me.

Nate Smith sighting at AZL today.  His 3rd appearance.  4.1ip, 0h, 1bb, 6k.  

He's kind of the Cowart of pitchers for our org.  

My guess is he gets another start in AZL and then heads to SLC after the ASB.  

Smith is a guy that's underrated in my opinion.  Has gotten hit hard at SLC with a 5.06era.   That actually makes him avg when park adjusted.  But we all know that certain stuff just doesn't play as well at high altitude.  Especially for guys like Smith who rely on movement, deception, and changes of speed as opposed to velocity.  

Outside of SLC, his era is below 3.  Above avg even when taking the old travs park into account (AA).  

Still think he has the potential to end up a #4 type starter.  How about Jason Vargas as a comp?  

I don't know if it is as much that Smith is underrated but rather that, like Grayson Long, he's just hard to get excited about because of "#4 upside." A #4 starter, in my view, is pretty much the definition of league average. No one gets excited about prospects with league average potential, even if that is still relatively useful.

I find I always try to counter arguments from people talking about how some of our guys in High A are tanking based on the mythology that the Cal League is still an offense first league....   I figured I'd just post this here, let people see the actual indexes for Inland Empire and just how well some of our supposed failures are actually doing.   

http://www.statcorner.com/team/401/2017/Inland Empire 66ers

Green is good..   Red is bad.

I don't know what any of that means but it's good to see Thaiss and Ward as "positive". 

Thaiss hasn't even been bad at all, really. Maybe a bit disappointing, but he's not striking out a ton and he's getting on base at a good clip. 

I think we expected more from him given his draft status and how he looked in ST, but he's probably in Mobile at the end of the year which is still pretty good. 

From a prospect chat with Eric Longerhagen at fangraphs:

12:38      

Rahul: Is Jaime Barria a 50+ FV now? Destroyed high A & now AA, strikeouts up, excellent command. I take it the changeup is now plus plus? Future mid rotation or still back end guy for you?

12:39
Eric A Longenhagen: Scouts think he has a shot to be a #3, so yup he’s firmly a 50FV for me at this point and in the overall top 100 discussion.

8 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

I don't know what any of that means but it's good to see Thaiss and Ward as "positive". 

Thaiss hasn't even been bad at all, really. Maybe a bit disappointing, but he's not striking out a ton and he's getting on base at a good clip. 

I think we expected more from him given his draft status and how he looked in ST, but he's probably in Mobile at the end of the year which is still pretty good. 

Basically -- the indexes argue rather loudly that the park in IE has played like much more of a severe pitcher's park than even Angel Stadium.  Thaiss has been better than the raw numbers indicate, if you click on his name, and then look at the rates, mouse over the numbers and you'll see the league averages....   He's been very quietly having a solid season masked by a tough park to hit in -- and he's been a tad unlucky if you compare his BaBIP to the league average.   But mostly what the data is arguing is that the guys we want to see do well, are doing better than what the raw numbers tell us.   There is reason for hope there.