• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2017 Minor League Statlines & Prospects thread

12 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

Jaime Barria has been named to the Futures Game World roster.

4 scoreless before the game was suspended tonight.  I don't think any of us truly believe that what he's doing is actually happening.  He's 20 years old with a sub 1 era through 4 starts at AA.  

This is a serious question, but without gaudy k numbers, how is he this good?  I presume his command/control is ridiculous.  Is he the next Greg Maddux?  

On 6/29/2017 at 0:10 AM, TroutField said:

Marsh got hurt tonight trying to steal a base and ended up being pulled from the game after going 1-1. "Precautionary reasons" 

Kiss of death. 

Sprained thumb on a head first slide. 

No surgery yet. Day to day. 

Seriously

6 hours ago, Dochalo said:

4 scoreless before the game was suspended tonight.  I don't think any of us truly believe that what he's doing is actually happening.  He's 20 years old with a sub 1 era through 4 starts at AA.  

This is a serious question, but without gaudy k numbers, how is he this good?  I presume his command/control is ridiculous.  Is he the next Greg Maddux?  

It ain't just Maddux... Bunning, Drysdale, Palmer, Glavine, and even Tommy John had 6 K/9 or lower through their career. If your control, command, and brains are good enough, you can be a damn good pitcher without chalking up whifs. 

13 minutes ago, ScruffytheJanitor said:

It ain't just Maddux... Bunning, Drysdale, Palmer, Glavine, and even Tommy John had 6 K/9 or lower through their career. If your control, command, and brains are good enough, you can be a damn good pitcher without chalking up whifs. 

People need to stop lumping Maddux into this. Dude was low to mid 90s for much of his career. He could bring it when he was a young pitcher.

8 minutes ago, eaterfan said:

People need to stop lumping Maddux into this. Dude was low to mid 90s for much of his career. He could bring it when he was a young pitcher.

More importantly, he could reach back and add a few mire ticks when he wanted to. But as pitchers are learning all the time, harder doesn't mean better. Look at Alex Meyer. He could reach back and throw 99+ consistently, but he's learned that 95 works better for him.

8 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Short answer is yes, he can be effective in the right situation. In Angel Stadium with the marine layer and guys like Simmons, Espinosa and Trout behind him, Barria would flourish.

The biggest thing I notice with Barria is how he doesn't panic when runners reach base, and he doesn't change his game plan when a heavy hitter is up. He executes his plan and his pitches so well.

At this point, the only reasons you don't promote him further are 1-Get him stretched out so he doesn't severely fatigue in a year or two in the majors, 2-Keep him stashed for when an opportunity presents itself. That could take a while as next year we'll have Richards, Heaney, Skaggs, Tropeano, Shoe, Meyer, Ramirez, Bridwell, Long, Canning and Barria himself in AA or higher.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Angels ended up trading Shoemaker and Skaggs for a Ryan McMahon type that solves some offensive questions in the future.

41 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the Angels ended up trading Shoemaker and Skaggs for a Ryan McMahon type that solves some offensive questions in the future.

I'm reading into it way too much, but I wonder if they're getting a little frustrated with Skaggs. Scioscia's recent remark that his injury was 'disturbing' seemed kinda weird.

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

I'm reading into it way too much, but I wonder if they're getting a little frustrated with Skaggs. Scioscia's recent remark that his injury was 'disturbing' seemed kinda weird.

I think disturbing was a poor choice of words on Acioscia's part. I was chatting with Sam Miller back when he wrote for the OCR, and he explained that reporters just need readable quotes, and that Scioscia understands as manager, he wants to give them what they need to do their job. It isn't so much about sharing his personal opinion as much as giving other guys readable quotes. 

He's usually pretty good at it, but disturbing sounds like a slip up on his part.

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

I'd be frustrated with Skaggs too.   How many starts has he made since August 2014?   Maybe 1-2 handfuls tops?

If I know Skaggs, he's probably getting impatient as well. He's very competitive and can come across as a jerk because of it. When guys like that get hurt, they don't handle time on the shelf as easily as someone like CJ Wilson, who was more relaxed.

4 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

If I know Skaggs, he's probably getting impatient as well. He's very competitive and can come across as a jerk because of it. When guys like that get hurt, they don't handle time on the shelf as easily as someone like CJ Wilson, who was more relaxed.

Waaaaay more relaxed ;) 

11 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Go look at his infield fly ball percentages they are ridiculously high. The guy is a flyball inducing machine, it's almost unbelievable. He is acting like Hector Santiago during his good outings but on a regular daily basis (low LD%, pop-up's and no HR's).

I know Skaggs has been frustrating, disappointing, underwhelming...but if you compare his age 22-25 seasons (the others are actually age 23-25 seasons, Skaggs debuted before them) to other great Angel lefties like Washburn, Finley, and Langston, there is a lot to like with what Skaggs has done.
8391ol6.png

It'd have to be quite a prospect return for me to move him, but if the Rockies were offering up Ryan McMahon/Raimel Tapia type guys...

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

I know Skaggs has been frustrating, disappointing, underwhelming...but if you compare his age 22-25 seasons (the others are actually age 23-25 seasons, Skaggs debuted before them) to other great Angel lefties like Washburn, Finley, and Langston, there is a lot to like with what Skaggs has done.
8391ol6.png

It'd have to be quite a prospect return for me to move him, but if the Rockies were offering up Ryan McMahon/Raimel Tapia type guys...

I think Skaggs has the potential to be one of the best, if not the best, lefty the Angels have ever had. Has to be healthy and get the experience though, his timetable is ticking with his remaining years of control.

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

Good point, but Washburn, Finley, and Langston didn't have all of these injuries pile up over a 3 year period.   That is the major worry, and not Skaggs' talent. 

Blame the D-Backs for overworking him in the minors at too young of an age?

Not at all. The D-Backs handled him fine as a prospect until they started tinkering with his delivery, but by that time, the Angels had acquired him and had him revert back to his old mechanics, which was a very good decision.

Can't we just have an organizational rule that if you slide head first you must wear a protective hand guard?  Just hand it to everyone that slides that way and tell them it is required they where it once they get to first or second base.  Obviously this won't help the guy that is sliding into 2nd on a double, but for guys stealing bases, like these two, it would certainly help.