• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2017 Minor League Statlines & Prospects thread

5 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Sometimes it is a mystery why orgs don't promote certain players. Look at what Bo Bichette is doing: he's hitting .388/.454/.625 in A Lansing...in 260 PA! I don't get it. But what a prospect he is - 19 years old. The Blue Jays have the kids of two former Angels, both of whom look like potential superstars.

Sometimes teams are slow to promote.  The same can be said for Brendan Rodgers of the Rockies organization.  He was hitting .400 in the Cal League with ridiculous HR totals.  He would've shattered every record Brandon Wood held there.  They finally just promoted him to AA.  All I can say is that sometimes, some teams keep players back because of age or maturity.  That's a big reason why guys that put up great numbers in the Dominican Republic won't go stateside until they're 21.  Either they never grasped the English language during lessons, or learned to behave properly, or work ethic. 

2 hours ago, John Smith said:

Steve Goldberg @Steve_Goldberg1 4m4 minutes ago

Jaime Barria (Angels No. 8 prospect) recorded 17 straight outs to cap a complete game (7 inn) shutout. Final line: 7 IP, 0 R, 2 H, 0 BB, 6 K

This kid is pitching out of his mind right now.  They may need to keep promoting him to try and find some competition.  

It might be time to to re-assess Barria's upside. Maybe he doesn't have ridiculous stuff, but neither did plenty of great pitchers - Glavine, Pettitte, Mussina, Weaver, etc. Maybe Barria just knows how to pitch.

Not saying he's a future ace, but a guy who dominates like this at 20 years old in AA may have a higher upside than a #3-4.

Baseball America

Most Projectable 2017 Draft Picks

LHP Jerryell Rivera3202.png

Drafted: Angels, 11th round
School: Beltran Baseball Academy, Florida, P.R.

The Puerto Rican southpaw could be on the verge of big-time velocity because his 6-foot-3, 180-pound frame could easily support more weight. Rivera pitches with a loose delivery and repeats his motions incredibly well, allowing scouts to project a plus fastball down the line. He topped out at 93 mph this spring. Rivera still is getting a grip on his secondary pitches, but with enough time he could develop into a legitimate starter.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/projectable-2017-draft-picks/#ygeUmQa2plgsmx7v.97

32 minutes ago, John Smith said:

Baseball America

Most Projectable 2017 Draft Picks

LHP Jerryell Rivera3202.png

Drafted: Angels, 11th round
School: Beltran Baseball Academy, Florida, P.R.

The Puerto Rican southpaw could be on the verge of big-time velocity because his 6-foot-3, 180-pound frame could easily support more weight. Rivera pitches with a loose delivery and repeats his motions incredibly well, allowing scouts to project a plus fastball down the line. He topped out at 93 mph this spring. Rivera still is getting a grip on his secondary pitches, but with enough time he could develop into a legitimate starter.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/projectable-2017-draft-picks/#ygeUmQa2plgsmx7v.97

So weird.  I didn't see this but posted in the 11-20 prospects thread that this guy intrigued me because he was our top 'non slot' pick.  

I think with the way the draft is structured, we are going to be seeing a lot guys from the 11-15 range being those 'out of nowhere' types.  

The halos are playing that game by drafting sure signs at 6-10 where they can save money and then taking big upside guys at 11-15 and paying them over the 125k allotment.  I think a lot of other teams are doing this as well.  

5 hours ago, Dochalo said:

So weird.  I didn't see this but posted in the 11-20 prospects thread that this guy intrigued me because he was our top 'non slot' pick.  

I think with the way the draft is structured, we are going to be seeing a lot guys from the 11-15 range being those 'out of nowhere' types.  

The halos are playing that game by drafting sure signs at 6-10 where they can save money and then taking big upside guys at 11-15 and paying them over the 125k allotment.  I think a lot of other teams are doing this as well.  

You always have to look at the 11th round as a team's chance to get 4th or 5th round talent but for one reason or another, didn't go earlier. Last year it was Brennon Lund. He never made it clear that he wasn't going to go on a Mormon mission because it's a personal choice and people would honestly judge him for that decision. So he was non-commital. It wasn't until a private workout that the Angels learned he may forego the mission. Even when they drafted him it wasn't a sure thing, and the consensus was, "that's a good pick if you can get him to sign". Well once they made the offer there wasn't any hesitation.

I can't speak for this kid the Angels just picked up but I know Lund is equally as likely to be a major leaguer as Gibbons or Montgomery.

4 hours ago, John Smith said:

Maria I. GuardadoVerified account @mi_guardado 14m14 minutes ago

Tyler Skaggs (oblique) is slated to pitch in an Arizona League game tonight.

Tyler Skaggs was scratched from AZ League start tonight bc of "general soreness" in his oblique. He will continue throwing "as tolerated"

4 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

You always have to look at the 11th round as a team's chance to get 4th or 5th round talent but for one reason or another, didn't go earlier. Last year it was Brennon Lund. He never made it clear that he wasn't going to go on a Mormon mission because it's a personal choice and people would honestly judge him for that decision. So he was non-commital. It wasn't until a private workout that the Angels learned he may forego the mission. Even when they drafted him it wasn't a sure thing, and the consensus was, "that's a good pick if you can get him to sign". Well once they made the offer there wasn't any hesitation.

I can't speak for this kid the Angels just picked up but I know Lund is equally as likely to be a major leaguer as Gibbons or Montgomery.

or like Francisco Del Valle who hit cleanup and went yard tonight for AZL.  Drafted 14th round last year out of Puerto Rico.  Born in 1998.  

On 6/22/2017 at 10:36 PM, Scotty@AW said:

This coming on the day I hear from a Rockies source they touched base with the Angels regarding Ryan McMahon makes much less sense.  If any 3B is needed to move over to 2B for 2018, it's looking like Cowart.

Interesting. Im having trouble finding someone on the roster that could fetch a blue chip prospect like McMahon. Who do you think Colorado would want?

1 hour ago, SoWhat said:

Interesting. Im having trouble finding someone on the roster that could fetch a blue chip prospect like McMahon. Who do you think Colorado would want?

They may pay up for some pitching - be it Bedrosian, Norris, Shoemaker, Ramirez.

Could go real deep and say the Rockies are playing 4D chess and are thinking ahead to when Arenado hits free agency, and they're trying to take their biggest competition off the board by giving the Angels a prospect to put their hopes on instead. 

7 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Chris Rodriguez got pummeled to the tune of 5 ER in 4 IP today. 18.00 ERA in his first two starts.

That's the way it goes in the Pioneer League. I think if anything, this league teaches pitchers how to successfully fail, meaning they learn to show no emotion on the mound and have a short memory, no bad start hangovers.