• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2017 Minor League Statlines & Prospects thread

My worry about Barria last year is that he wasn't striking anyone out (6k/9IP), which spoke to mediocre stuff. But his K rate has improved (7.8/9) this year. I haven't seen him pitch, but my instincts say mid-rotation.

Do you think it is realistic to consider Hermosillo an option for next year, or am I jumping the gun?

5 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

My worry about Barria last year is that he wasn't striking anyone out (6k/9IP), which spoke to mediocre stuff. But his K rate has improved (7.8/9) this year. I haven't seen him pitch, but my instincts say mid-rotation.

Do you think it is realistic to consider Hermosillo an option for next year, or am I jumping the gun?

Something to keep in mind with Herm, he's only 22. He'd be a senior in college right now, and to be in AA already is pretty spectacular. He's instictually and physically a very good player already. But there's a mental and emotional game attached to the high minors, everything is thought through, scouting reports are widely available. The game in short "gets real".

Most players can't just breeze through high minors without taking their lumps first and making an adjustment. Even Benintendi in Boston struggled in AA to start.

I'd expect Hermosillo to take his lumps a little this year. But one thing we know about Michael, is when he's met with failure, he works and adjusts. So to answer your question, I think Hermosillo is an option for the Angels in the second half of next year.

As far as Barria goes, he's got some Nick Tropeano with him. I could see Barria posting an ERA under 4.00 in the majors someday.

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

Jahmai Jones with a nice game. 2-4, 1 BB and his 5th SB.

Baldoquin with 3 hits, 2 RBI and a walk. Up to .296 now. 

I think those three consecutive rain cancellations were just what Jahmai needed to clear his head.  I also think the demotion down to A Ball where no one is watching him or expecting anything was exactly what Baldoquin needed. 

Notes from the back fields

Just some Angels notes today. The club’s 2016 second rounder (and, for me, the club’s second-best prospect) Brandon Marsh has looked good in center field (some scouts think he may outgrow it) and took good at-bats yesterday. Nineteen-year old righty Elvin Rodriguez, one of several interesting young Latin American arms in the system, was mostly 90-92 yesterday. He’s less projectable than he appears on paper because the frame is so slight and this is basically as hard as Rodriguez was throwing last year. Anaheim’s 2016 fourth rounder, Chris Rodriguez, threw on Monday and was mostly 92-95 with a better changeup than he had last year in the AZL. Rodriguez has some reliever risk because of the violence in his delivery but he’s well built and, especially considering how quickly his changeup appears to be developing, has a budding starter’s repertoire.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/instagraphs/daily-prospect-notes-53/

Due for an update...
Salt Lake's 16-15, .5 game out of first.
Almost everyone is hitting in SLC - the entire team is showing great discipline with 147 BB to 201 K and a team BA of .293 and OBP of .380
Ramon Flores: .375/.480/.463/.942 - 17 BB to 17 K
Eric Young: .345/.405/.473/.878 - 3 HR, 8 SB, 9 BB to 17 K 
Shane Robinson: .303/.407/.374 - 16 BB to 10 K
Kaleb Cowart: .297/.415/.423 - 3 HR, 9 SB, 23 BB to 24 K (big jump in walks and steals for Kaleb)
Matt Williams: .344/.425/.531/.956
Sherman Johnson: .268/.360/.392/.752 - 14 BB to 26 K, 6 SB
Rey Navarro: .297/.362/.378/.741 - 12 BB to 13 K
Carlos Perez: .302/.360/.395/.755
Bo Way: .304/.341/.380/.721 - seems to have adapted fine to AAA just fine
Nolan Fontana: .253/.361/.363/.724 - 16 BB to 19 K
Dustin Ackley: .295/.370/.381/.751 - only 2 games at 1B in the field so far - 12 BB to 15 K

Unfortunately, the Bees pitching has been equally awful; the team ERA is 6.00.
Troy Scribner: 5 GS, 4-0, 3.76 ERA, 1.33 WHIP, 26.1 IP, 25 H, 4 HR, 10 BB, 29 K - pretty much the only bright spot
Banuelos: 1st 3 GS: 16.2 IP, 2.70 ERA, 1.20 WHIP 7 BB to 9 K, last 3 GS: 11.1 IP, 12.71 ERA, 2.47 WHIP 12 BB to 6 K
Eduardo Paredes: 4 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K
Luis Diaz: 3 GS, 7.07 ERA, 2.00 WHIP, 14 IP, 25 H, 11 ER, 3 BB to 16 K; getting hammered in AAA, good BB to K ratio still
Vicente Campos: 3 GS, 14.73 ERA, 3.00 WHIP, 7.1 IP, 15 H, 12 ER, 3 HR, 7 BB to 7 K - also getting hammered
Brooks Pounders: 13 IP, 1.38 ERA, .85 WHIP, 13 IP, 8 H 2 ER, 1 HR, 3 BB, 9 K

23 minutes ago, John Smith said:

Mobile BayBearsVerified account @Mobile_BayBears

Newest addition to the #BayBears roster, Zach Gibbons (@zgibbons23)

C_VkG0ZXUAAy0pb.jpg

Awesome - this will be really interesting. Gibbons has absolutely raked so far - .346/.426/.497/.922 over 351 PAs last year against younger competition and this year in hitting friendly Cal League. 22 SBs (9 CS) and 41 BB to 37 K. 

If he can keep hitting in AA his stock could start to rise.

24 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Awesome - this will be really interesting. Gibbons has absolutely raked so far - .346/.426/.497/.922 over 351 PAs last year against younger competition and this year in hitting friendly Cal League. 22 SBs (9 CS) and 41 BB to 37 K. 

If he can keep hitting in AA his stock could start to rise.

Gibbons friend Troy Rallings signed with the Angels today:

He's recovering from Tommy John and is a member of Drivelines which is helping him to rehabilitate his throwing arm.

A little blurb from Baseball America on Nate Smith:

Nate Smith, lhp, Angels. The Angels’ No. 5 prospect made his season debut at Triple-A Salt Lake after being sidelined with a forearm strain. Smith was outstanding, especially considering the layoff, allowing just one hit in 5.2 innings, striking out four and walking none in a 9-1 win over Omaha (Royals). Smith is not overpowering, with a fastball that can touch 92 mph, but has above-average control and a bat-missing slider.

11 hours ago, Angels_Baseball said:

Kyle Survance has been added to the Inland Empire roster. Drafted in the 8th round of 2015, he's an absolute speedster and raked in Orem in 2015. Missed all of last year due to Tommy John surgery. 

Survance is someone we've heard a lot about for a couple of years now. The speed is there and now we'll learn where the bat is at. Definitely Top 30 prospect upside.

16 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Just have to wait about a year for Fletcher to be ready?

Fletcher or Sherman Johnson. There was also some talk about Thaiss learning 2B last offseason. The Angels may also draft a middle infielder here in a month.