• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2017 Minor League Statlines & Prospects thread

59 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

So many promotions today -- Vega's improvement has been so fun...  Vega, Hermosillo, Jones..   So nice to have the athletic guys showing they might turn into baseball players..  Interesting to see the Angels have moved Blumenfeld to the OF too...

There is definitely stuff going on in the farm system...

There really is. The farm will continue to be regarded as barren by most, but most really don't do much homework. Those that pay attention are downright giddy right now. The Angels farm has some not-so-hidden gems, just waiting for the national media to catch up with team centric sites.

Thee are some solid everyday major leaguers (Jones, Thaiss), mid-rotation starters (Long, Ruxer), backend relievers (Alcantara, Middleton), and a whole collection of intriguing players worth watching (Cowart, Daniel, Mongomery, Lund, Justus, Gibbons, Vega, Rivas, Hermosillo, Paredes, Adams, Smith, McGowin).

This farm system isn't barren. It can use more front end talent (that is on its way), but there's a ton of depth and intrigue.

17 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

How about Alcantara who has the fastball/slider combo to be a lights out back end reliever over a starter due to the inconsistency and feel of his changeup. 

K-Rod circa 2017?   He had a similar path to the bigs, former starter who excelled in the pen with heat and wicked slider.

18 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

How about Alcantara who has the fastball/slider combo to be a lights out back end reliever over a starter due to the inconsistency and feel of his changeup. 

I didn't mention him with Middleton and Gatto because I've always assumed Alcantara will have some sort of a MLB career be it as a reliever or what not -- the stuff is just that good.   Middleton and Gatto have at times looked completely lost and going nowhere whereas with Alcantara it was easy to think that if he fixed one thing, he stood a chance of really upping his profile..   

12 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

They promote him to Burlington, that team will have what... seven... 2016 draft position players??

The Burlington and Inland Empire squads just weren't very good this year. It's easy to see why they'd promote anyone getting the job done.

45 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Well, mostly I think it's nice the guys they drafted actually got the job done ....  for a change..

Yeah. Plus Toolsy kids from years back like Hermosillo. Still waiting on Abbott. Next year seems like it'd be his breakout year.

Does anyone have a scouting report on this Troy Scribner kid?

He was just promoted to AAA after a successful run in AA and has pitched a  complete (9-inning) game shutout.

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?gid=2016_07_30_slcaaa_srcaaa_1&t=g_box&sid=milb

Pretty solid minor league numbers sans last season (although a good K/IP rate in the Cal League). 

Also... Eric Aguilera popped his 13th HR of the season. His season is pretty close to the one Mark Trumbo had while in AA playing for the Arkansas Travelers. 

Eric Aguilera.png

Mark Trumbo's 2009 campaign for the Arkansas Travelers is quite similar to Aguilera's 2016 season thus far. Let's hope EA has the type of season Trumbo did the following year while in the PCL, for the Salt Lake Bees. 

TrumboAguilera.png

31 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Also... Eric Aguilera popped his 13th HR of the season. His season is pretty close to the one Mark Trumbo had while in AA playing for the Arkansas Travelers. 

Eric Aguilera.png

Mark Trumbo's 2009 campaign for the Arkansas Travelers is quite similar to Aguilera's 2016 season thus far. Let's hope EA has the type of season Trumbo did the following year while in the PCL, for the Salt Lake Bees. 

TrumboAguilera.png

Scribner has a very high effort delivery that's better suited for relief. He has a good breaking ball, very much a swing and miss type. His fastball sits in the low-90's/high 80's.

Aguilera doesn't have Trumbo's power, and isn't as young or projectable as Trumbo was. Aguilera reminds me a bit of Efren Navarro. The doubles are HR's but the skill set is similar.

I think that's a poor comparison because Efren Navarro never reached double digits in HR's. EA is two HR's away Trumbo's 15 in AA while with the Travs. Tough to hit them out qhen playing half of your games at that ballpark in Arkansas.

52 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I think that's a poor comparison because Efren Navarro never reached double digits in HR's. EA is two HR's away Trumbo's 15 in AA while with the Travs. Tough to hit them out qhen playing half of your games at that ballpark in Arkansas.

As I said, Navarro's doubles are Aguilera's HR's. It's a confusing way to put it, so let's just saw Navarro had gap power and Aguilera has over the fence power. It isn't elite like Trumbo, but it's enough to say he "has power".

And for what it's worth, scouts have also observed Aguilera's offensive prowess. Other teams aren't viewing him as someone to acquire, but if he ever isn't in the Angels organization, he won't have difficulty finding employment. For me, he projects as a bench bat in the major leagues.

Ive watched a few of Aguilera's games and a few of Towey's, and despite the numbers, I'd still take Towey. He produces a lot of 5+ pitch at bats which is something the last regime emphasized and can still be used at 3B, along with first and LF/RF. 

I dint see either being a quality major league player, but I can see them making it to the highest level, and contributing in some fashion, like late game AB's and defensive duty. Maybe a bit of pinch running for Towey.

9 hours ago, ScottyA_MWAH said:

As I said, Navarro's doubles are Aguilera's HR's. It's a confusing way to put it, so let's just saw Navarro had gap power and Aguilera has over the fence power. It isn't elite like Trumbo, but it's enough to say he "has power".

And for what it's worth, scouts have also observed Aguilera's offensive prowess. Other teams aren't viewing him as someone to acquire, but if he ever isn't in the Angels organization, he won't have difficulty finding employment. For me, he projects as a bench bat in the major leagues.

Ive watched a few of Aguilera's games and a few of Towey's, and despite the numbers, I'd still take Towey. He produces a lot of 5+ pitch at bats which is something the last regime emphasized and can still be used at 3B, along with first and LF/RF. 

I dint see either being a quality major league player, but I can see them making it to the highest level, and contributing in some fashion, like late game AB's and defensive duty. Maybe a bit of pinch running for Towey.

ah gotcha! 

I'd like to see the Angels get EA some time in LF to see how he handles it. Pujols and Cron will be handling 1B for a while, or until Thiass is ready to take over the position.