• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2017 Minor League Statlines & Prospects thread

I went and saw Skaggs in his rehab start. He looked good. He gave up a triple in the first that led to a run. Two other hits in the first were pure luck, a swinging bunt and a ball off the end of the bat that ended up being a double. 

One thing I don't understand at all. The game is tied in the 3rd inning. Ward comes up with no outs and a runner on first and second and he sac bunts. Why is someone that needs to work on their hitting bunting in the first place, on top of that in the third inning, and on top of that in a regular season Single-A game? Not that bunting really helps win games, but if you did believe that, is winning a Single-A game more important than the development of a key prospect?

44 minutes ago, vladdy#27 said:

I went and saw Skaggs in his rehab start. He looked good. He gave up a triple in the first that led to a run. Two other hits in the first were pure luck, a swinging bunt and a ball off the end of the bat that ended up being a double. 

One thing I don't understand at all. The game is tied in the 3rd inning. Ward comes up with no outs and a runner on first and second and he sac bunts. Why is someone that needs to work on their hitting bunting in the first place, on top of that in the third inning, and on top of that in a regular season Single-A game? Not that bunting really helps win games, but if you did believe that, is winning a Single-A game more important than the development of a key prospect?

There's a good chance Ward will be doing a lot of bunting in the majors. It's his defense that'll carry him to the top, but once he's there, he'll be hitting at the bottom of the lineup. You're basically looking at Jeff Mathis with better defense here. So I see no ptoblem in Ward learning to lay one down when it counts.

2 minutes ago, ScottyA_MWAH said:

There's a good chance Ward will be doing a lot of bunting in the majors. It's his defense that'll carry him to the top, but once he's there, he'll be hitting at the bottom of the lineup. You're basically looking at Jeff Mathis with better defense here. So I see no ptoblem in Ward learning to lay one down when it counts.

Exactly.  Being realistic about Ward means accepting that he's a starting defensive catcher at best and likely a career backup who might not actually get to the majors.  

1 minute ago, Dochalo said:

Exactly.  Being realistic about Ward means accepting that he's a starting defensive catcher at best and likely a career backup who might not actually get to the majors.  

I think I'm a little more optimistic that he'll reach the majors. He's an elite defensive catcher, but yeah, he's a backup or even a platoon catcher. Still shocked that with everyone on the board, they chose him, and were excited about it.

AZL

Williams checks in with a couple hits going 2-4.  

Ryan Vega 2-5, hr

Grieshaber 2-5, 2 doubles. 

Orem

Troy Montgomery 3-4, hr

Thaiss 1-4, double

Barash 1-3

Sam McDonnell 1-3, bb

Robichaux 4ip, 1h, 1er, 2bb, 2k

DSL

Chris Bonilla 

5ip, 1h, 0er, 4bb, 4k

A

Amendolare 1-3, double.  .345/826

A+

Skaggs 4.1ip, 5h, 1er, 5k

Jeremy Rhoades 4ip, 2h, 0er, 0bb, 2k

AAA

Johnson 0-3, 2bb.  .232

Kyle McGowin 6.2ip, 5h, 0er, 1bb, 8k.  

Im

still buying the Baldoquin stock. He's better than this. It's just been a perfect storm of obstacles that have confronted him so far. He was coming off a long layoff, in a new culture, against better competition, dealing with a loss of muscle mass, subsequent injuries and an overall sense that his support system has all gone through a huge change as well.

Its enough to derail anyone.

It may not be this year, but before its all over, I think this kid will be fully back in shape, comfortable, healthy and we'll see him make good on those Yunel Escobar comps.

53 minutes ago, ScottyA_MWAH said:

Im

still buying the Baldoquin stock. He's better than this. It's just been a perfect storm of obstacles that have confronted him so far. He was coming off a long layoff, in a new culture, against better competition, dealing with a loss of muscle mass, subsequent injuries and an overall sense that his support system has all gone through a huge change as well.

Its enough to derail anyone.

It may not be this year, but before its all over, I think this kid will be fully back in shape, comfortable, healthy and we'll see him make good on those Yunel Escobar comps.

no offense, but I am never taking a stock tip from you ever.  :)

10 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Given how poorly he's been hitting this year in A ball I hope the org doesn't promote him just for his defense. 

1 hour ago, hangin n wangin said:

The board was excited about that pick?? Really??

A guy projected at around 100 was picked 26 and people were excited about that??

Video feed from the Angels draft room had them jumping up and down, hands raised in the air, celebrating after the team before them picked.

As for the AW board, I think it was disbelief and a lot of "who?", followed closely by the Mathis comps and finally anger.

11 hours ago, Dochalo said:

11 hours ago, ScottyA_MWAH said:

I guess I disagree. While he is in the lower minor leagues, at the very least, they should be focused on developing his hitting rather than his ability to lay down a bunt. He's currently sporting a .559 OPS in Single-A, a hitter friendly league. The 66ers stadium is pitcher friendly, but he still only has a .654 OPS on the road. If he can't improve his offense there is no way he'll make it to the major leagues, I don't think it really matters how good his defense is. What does a .559 OPS translate to in Double-A? Triple-A? The Major Leagues? For comparison Mathis has a career OPS in the Majors of .557. 

If he can't improve his hitting he might not even make it out of Single-A. He will almost surely repeat Single-A next season, outside of him turning the corner offensively over the next few months. He's not going to turn that corner laying down bunts. I realize that he will never be good offensively, and that offense from a catcher isn't that important. 

If he makes it to Double-A or Triple-A then he can start working on his ability to give the other team a free out. IF he makes it there he will probably spend 2-3 years at those levels giving him plenty of time to work on his bunting. And I mean we are talking about bunting here, something AL pitchers don't really have a problem doing with almost no practice whatsoever. But Ward needs to start practicing in Single-A?

5 minutes ago, HaloNArizona said:

Since Scioscia has been the manager of the Angels, how many catchers have we taken in the first round?

I know its been back to back, but what about before?

Answered my own question....we have drafted four catchers in the first round since 2001:

Mathis, Conger, Ward, and Thaiss

50 minutes ago, HaloNArizona said:

Answered my own question....we have drafted four catchers in the first round since 2001:

Mathis, Conger, Ward, and Thaiss

In all fairness, Thaiss won't be playing catcher at all.  They said they'd move him around the diamond if they can but plan to make 1B his predominant home. 

7 hours ago, hangin n wangin said:

The board was excited about that pick?? Really??

A guy projected at around 100 was picked 26 and people were excited about that??

I thought the real hilarity was when people got pissed off the Angels drafted another "catcher" this year.  

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

Nate Smith named to the Futures Game...   Only Angel.

Nate deserved this honor. He's been pitching out of his mind lately. The PCL is a pitcher's hell and he's making the most of it. If it weren't for service time issues, he'd be toeing the rubber every fifth day for the Angels already.

Orem

Zimmerman 2-4

Lund 4-5, double.  .576 avg.  with 4bb, 6k and 6sbs.  1.490 ops. in 33pa.  That would be a record or something.  Don't think I've ever seen the halos move someone to A ball this early, but they might consider it.  

Sam Pastrone 5ip, 3h, 0er, 0bb, 3k.  17th rounder from 2015

AZL

Rivas 2-4, 2 sbs.  10 steals and 12 bb in 53 at bats.  

Molina 1-4, 2sbs (6)

Wilkel Hernandez 5ip, 2h, 0er, 0bb, 4k.  1.20era in 15ip so far.  14k/5bb

A

Jared Ruxer 5ip, 5h, 2er, 1bb, 8k.  1.26era

AAA

Trop 6.2ip, 3h, 2er, 1bb, 7k

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

I'm assuming this will happen before Trop's next start.

Personally, I don't think we see guys being brought up until after the deadline -- they may be trying to give as much exposure as possible to everyone resembling a veteran player in hopes of seeing them spike their values.   Wishful thinking most likely but it's not like it will alter the outcome of the season any.