• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2017 Minor League Statlines & Prospects thread

From Baseball America:

Jordon Adell, dh, Angels. The 10th overall pick last month made his pro debut Thursday and went 1-for-2 in the Rookie-level Arizona League against the Athletics and the No. 6 overall pick Austin Beck, who was 0-for-4. A super-explosive athlete, Adell made hard contact and showed his plus-plus speed, according to the ubiquitous Bill Mitchell.

Marlins purchased the contract of RHP Chris O'Grady from Triple-A New Orleans.

O'Grady is slated to make his major league debut in a start Saturday against the Giants. After being let go by the Angels in April, the 27-year-old has reeled off a 3.29 ERA and 54/15 K/BB ratio over 54 2/3 innings this season in Triple-A. However, he makes for a shaky fantasy option in his MLB debut.

AngelsWin was the only site to ever have O'Grady as a top prospect. I watched him a few times last year and can tell you he's the real deal. He developed into a starter quite nicely. Roster crunch came about, and Eppler just wasn't that high on him, so Chris was let go, which sucks and showed a lack of judgment. Also had the chance to talk to him this offseason. He's a good guy.

Speaking of good guys that the Angels shouldn't have let go, Ji-Man Choi is having a very good season in AAA and was just promoted to New York and he looks great. 

10 hours ago, Dochalo said:

meh.  If I had to choose between a roster spot for O'Grady or Bridwell, I would choose Bridwell.  

Ji-Man cleared waivers and refused assignment to AAA electing to be a free agent.  So they didn't really let him go as much as he wanted to leave.  

Definitely, but given that O'Grady is a lefty and can spot start, he would've made a great alternative to Jose Alvarez. Or if I had to choose between O'Grady and Banuelos or even Scribner, I go with O'Grady.

As for Choi, he was DFA'd, we let him go for nothing. It'd be nice to have him as an alternative to Valbuena, Cron and Marte, who all suck this year.

2 hours ago, arch stanton said:

Choi had a .611 OPS over 129 PA's last year. Was he really a good bet to outhit all three of Cron, Marte, and Valbuena this year?

Given Marte's track record in the minors, yeah Choi was a good bet to outhit Marte. I was rather vocal in my belief that he was a one truck pony last season and that looks to be the case.

Valbuena had a career year last year, but given that he no longer has the protection he had in Houston, nor the ballpark, we had to know regression was coming. So yeah, I think Choi would have been comparable to Valbuena. And Cron's a guy that needs everyday AB's, and even then he's streaky, so to put him in a platoon role, yeah, I think Cron was bound to struggle from the start.

My displeasure isn't in that Choi is better than those options, even though I think he is (except Cron). I think the Angels took a group of players that need everyday at bats (Revere, Cron, Valbuena, Marte) and thrust them into platoon or backup roles that all were ill-suited for and now none of them are the weapons they could be. 

Poor planning.

2 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

Definitely, but given that O'Grady is a lefty and can spot start, he would've made a great alternative to Jose Alvarez. Or if I had to choose between O'Grady and Banuelos or even Scribner, I go with O'Grady.

As for Choi, he was DFA'd, we let him go for nothing. It'd be nice to have him as an alternative to Valbuena, Cron and Marte, who all suck this year.

Yes.  Choi was DFA'd and he cleared waivers meaning no one else wanted him on their 40-man as well.  We didn't let him go.  We wanted to keep him in the minors but he declined.  

7 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

My displeasure isn't in that Choi is better than those options, even though I think he is (except Cron). I think the Angels took a group of players that need everyday at bats (Revere, Cron, Valbuena, Marte) and thrust them into platoon or backup roles that all were ill-suited for and now none of them are the weapons they could

Agree with this for Cron and Valbuena for sure.  Revere gets what he gets.  He's not an everyday player imo.  I'd still have Valbuena play 2b and get both Cron and him in the lineup everyday.  But that's just me and there are a lot of people who do baseball for a living that clearly disagree.  

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

Yes.  Choi was DFA'd and he cleared waivers meaning no one else wanted him on their 40-man as well.  We didn't let him go.  We wanted to keep him in the minors but he declined.  

Agree with this for Cron and Valbuena for sure.  Revere gets what he gets.  He's not an everyday player imo.  I'd still have Valbuena play 2b and get both Cron and him in the lineup everyday.  But that's just me and there are a lot of people who do baseball for a living that clearly disagree.  

Revere is the type of player that needs to hit .290 to have a decent OBP and swipe 30 bags. I think he can.

I'm with you, I'd rather have Valbuena or EY at 2B.

On 7/7/2017 at 0:26 PM, John Smith said:

Bill ShaikinVerified account @BillShaikin 4h4 hours ago

And #Angels finally have a Top 100 prospect: OF Jordon Adell, their top draft pick last month, at #97:

2017 Midseason Top 100 Prospects

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/2017-midseason-top-100-prospects-july-7/#VWWohDtJMe6h6hZz.97

Wow, Kingery is now a top 50 prospect? He didn't look all that his first two years of pro ball. He was the guy I wanted the Angels to draft in '15  

Edit: holy shit, he had a huge jump in the power department. 22 HRs in 327 ABs 

4 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Jose Rojas - 24yo 3bman.  Hitting .324 in 296 ab for IE this year.  .835 ops.  36th round out of Vanguard in 2016.  .843 ops last year in 221 ab for orem.  

I hope he makes it to MLB -- dude was born in Anaheim and went to Anaheim High School.   Might be the most Anaheim-est player in the history of Anaheim-dom.

14 hours ago, SoWhat said:

Wow, Kingery is now a top 50 prospect? He didn't look all that his first two years of pro ball. He was the guy I wanted the Angels to draft in '15  

Edit: holy shit, he had a huge jump in the power department. 22 HRs in 327 ABs 

The bulk of that power surge was at Reading where the HR index is 145.   So, he's definitely upped his profile but his numbers are definitely being impacted by favorable park conditions.

3 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

The bulk of that power surge was at Reading where the HR index is 145.   So, he's definitely upped his profile but his numbers are definitely being impacted by favorable park conditions.

I watched what Reading did for Rhys Hoskins and Dylan Cozens last year. Ridiculousness. Artifice.

10 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Jose Rojas - 24yo 3bman.  Hitting .324 in 296 ab for IE this year.  .835 ops.  36th round out of Vanguard in 2016.  .843 ops last year in 221 ab for orem.  

I interviewed him in Orem last year. He jumped up to the Cal League and hasn't missed a beat on offense. Great human interest story and an all around great guy. I have heard nothing but praise for him from the coaches and people at both levels. I would love to see him make it. 

2 hours ago, Dave Saltzer said:

I interviewed him in Orem last year. He jumped up to the Cal League and hasn't missed a beat on offense. Great human interest story and an all around great guy. I have heard nothing but praise for him from the coaches and people at both levels. I would love to see him make it. 

Not sure if your interview covered it -- but his little brother, also a Colonist alum, fought cancer his freshman year and managed to come back and play baseball again.  So There is definitely a good human interest story attacked to Rojas.

5 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

I watched what Reading did for Rhys Hoskins and Dylan Cozens last year. Ridiculousness. Artifice.

True, but Kingery has hit 4 HR in a week and a half since being promoted to Leigh Valley in AAA. Cozens and Hoskins have both hit for power in AAA as well.

Rivera was 86-88, mixed in changeup. No breaking ball tonight.

Bill Mitchell added,

Bill Mitchell @billazbbphotog
Nice pro debut by #Angels LHP Jerryel Rivera for AZL #Angels. Tall, lean, high-waisted. Fanned fellow PR native Heliot Ramos for 3rd out.
7:42 PM - 9 Jul 2017 from Tempe, AZ