• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2017 Minor League Statlines & Prospects thread

2 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

From a prospect chat with Eric Longerhagen at fangraphs:

12:38      

Rahul: Is Jaime Barria a 50+ FV now? Destroyed high A & now AA, strikeouts up, excellent command. I take it the changeup is now plus plus? Future mid rotation or still back end guy for you?

12:39
Eric A Longenhagen: Scouts think he has a shot to be a #3, so yup he’s firmly a 50FV for me at this point and in the overall top 100 discussion.

This gives me arousal. 

He didn't pitch too well today but he K'd 7 in 6.2 IP and once again didn't walk anybody.

5 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

I don't know what any of that means but it's good to see Thaiss and Ward as "positive". 

Thaiss hasn't even been bad at all, really. Maybe a bit disappointing, but he's not striking out a ton and he's getting on base at a good clip. 

I think we expected more from him given his draft status and how he looked in ST, but he's probably in Mobile at the end of the year which is still pretty good. 

You have to wonder if a 1st round pick who was converted to 1b because of his bat is feeling a little pressure to knock some balls out of the yard.  On top of it, his home park is tough on hitters.  Real tough.  Park factor for runs by LHed hitter is 86.  Tied for 4th toughest in baseball.  For hrs, it's 77.  14th.  The park is even tougher on Rhers.  

25 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

From a prospect chat with Eric Longerhagen at fangraphs:

12:38      

Rahul: Is Jaime Barria a 50+ FV now? Destroyed high A & now AA, strikeouts up, excellent command. I take it the changeup is now plus plus? Future mid rotation or still back end guy for you?

12:39
Eric A Longenhagen: Scouts think he has a shot to be a #3, so yup he’s firmly a 50FV for me at this point and in the overall top 100 discussion.

They can say he's in the conversation for Top 100 until they're blue in the face. They don't put "limited" upside pitchers on these lists. They'd rather put a 22 year old with a 4.50 ERA in A Ball that throws 97 than a 20 year old in AA with an ERA under 3.00 that throws 92.

I think Jones, Adell, Barria, and even Thaiss or Marsh could be one of the top 100 prospects in baseball, and have my doubts as to whether they'll be on it.

20 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

They can say he's in the conversation for Top 100 until they're blue in the face. They don't put "limited" upside pitchers on these lists. They'd rather put a 22 year old with a 4.50 ERA in A Ball that throws 97 than a 20 year old in AA with an ERA under 3.00 that throws 92.

I think Jones, Adell, Barria, and even Thaiss or Marsh could be one of the top 100 prospects in baseball, and have my doubts as to whether they'll be on it.

Still wouldn't sleep on Hermosillo.  Tore up high A in a short span.  hit .151 in his first 20 games at AA.  Since then, he's hit .288 with a .416 obp and an 821 ops.  Curious to see if he adds a little more power.  He's not a top 100 guy anymore, but I think he could be a solid major league starter.  

my point is, while we don't have guys knocking at the door of the top 50, I think we have a whole slew of guys flying below the radar who would be in the 100-200 range.  

I think Adell and Jones will be in most "Top 100" lists because of pure upside. Both likely in the 75-100 range. Barria is probably an honorable mention. 

Regardless, scouts and publications are starting to take notice of this system again. But even if we have 0 top 100 guys according to them, we have a slew of future major league contributors. 

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

Still wouldn't sleep on Hermosillo.  Tore up high A in a short span.  hit .151 in his first 20 games at AA.  Since then, he's hit .288 with a .416 obp and an 821 ops.  Curious to see if he adds a little more power.  He's not a top 100 guy anymore, but I think he could be a solid major league starter.  

my point is, while we don't have guys knocking at the door of the top 50, I think we have a whole slew of guys flying below the radar who would be in the 100-200 range.  

Yes! And Chris Rodriguez too. Heck, if Canning pitches like he's capable of next year you can throw him in there. And if Deveaux's skills transfer, him too.

So Jones, Adell, Barria, Canning, Marsh, Thaiss, Rodriguez, Hermosillo, Pearson, Long, Deaveaux...I don't think anyone with any knowledge of the Angels system can argue the cupboard is bare anymore. 

Eppler's a heck of a job. Even the guys he didn't draft like Herm, Long and Barria, I give him credit for not trading them away. 

1 hour ago, Scotty@AW said:

So Jones, Adell, Barria, Canning, Marsh, Thaiss, Rodriguez, Hermosillo, Pearson, Long, Deaveaux...I don't think anyone with any knowledge of the Angels sys

Shall we keep track to see who the first person to make that claim from this point on ? 

we got Jesus Castillo for Joe Smith last year.  (HA!  never realized we swapped Joe Smith for Jesus).  A nice underrated prospect for a guy who was not much on an expiring contract.  

If we should decide to sell at the deadline, there are players of greater value than Smith which could return us some nice talent.  Likely not top 10 from anyone's system, but maybe top 20 for guys like Maybin, Norris, Pettit, Hernandez, Escobar.  Probably not getting anything for Espinosa or Pennington.  Maybe a small return for guys like Nolasco or Chavez.  With the right buyer, we might be able to get a more touted prospect if we can bundle a couple of these guys into one deal.  Even if not, there are enough movable parts to get at least 2-3 additional prospects to slot into our top 30.  

It's unlikely that any of the return is going to be of immediate help in 2018 (unless, as mentioned, you can package a couple of guys for a replacement LFer, 2b, pen arm or SP), but the improved depth makes it possible to consider moving some guys for major league help again.  

8 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

we got Jesus Castillo for Joe Smith last year.  (HA!  never realized we swapped Joe Smith for Jesus).  A nice underrated prospect for a guy who was not much on an expiring contract.  

If we should decide to sell at the deadline, there are players of greater value than Smith which could return us some nice talent.  Likely not top 10 from anyone's system, but maybe top 20 for guys like Maybin, Norris, Pettit, Hernandez, Escobar.  Probably not getting anything for Espinosa or Pennington.  Maybe a small return for guys like Nolasco or Chavez.  With the right buyer, we might be able to get a more touted prospect if we can bundle a couple of these guys into one deal.  Even if not, there are enough movable parts to get at least 2-3 additional prospects to slot into our top 30.  

It's unlikely that any of the return is going to be of immediate help in 2018 (unless, as mentioned, you can package a couple of guys for a replacement LFer, 2b, pen arm or SP), but the improved depth makes it possible to consider moving some guys for major league help again.  

And move the org a little bit closer to having the MLB/minors depth necessary for ongoing post-season contention down the road.

The Angels org could very well have only one or two top 100 prospects this year, but ten next year. They've got a slew of guys who are very young and/or haven't played enough to earn a spot on a top 100 list.

Any idea when Marsh will be back? Seems like he's been out a week. Here we go again.

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

The Angels org could very well have only one or two top 100 prospects this year, but ten next year. They've got a slew of guys who are very young and/or haven't played enough to earn a spot on a top 100 list.

Any idea when Marsh will be back? Seems like he's been out a week. Here we go again.

Sprained thumb I guess? 

2 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Being a top 100 is as much of a consequence of where you were drafted or what general pundits thought of you before you were signed.  

Using mlb.com rankings (which I don't think are great, but typical of the fairly boiler plate approach),

There is one player ranked in the top 30 who wasn't a fairly high profile intl signing or first round pick - Tyler O'neill - who exploded on the scene with big power even as a teenager.  He was drafted in the 3rd round.  

Otherwise, there are a smattering of guys not drafted in the top 2 rounds:

31. Hader (19th)

58. Alford (3rd) - pretty mediocre minor league career so far.  not sure where this ranking is justified.  

62. Bauers (7th) - has played above level for age, but another ranking I don't really get. 

63. Cease (6th) - Kid has been a beast so far.  

69. Calhoun, Willie (4th) - has been excellent so far and some minor league system's prospects get more of a look (he's with the dogs)

78. Gonsalves, Stephen (4th)- has been outstanding in his minor league career as lefty starter and only recently cracked the top 100 even though he was drafted out of HS

81. Bradley, Bobby (3rd) - big time power coming out of HS.  

94. Adams, Chance (5th) - era of 2 for his minor league career, a yankee prospect and only made it for the first time this year

97. Fowler, Dustin (18th) - could turn out to be a nice player, but as a prospect he's hasn't exactly set the world on fire.  but yankees

So that's 9 guys not drafted in the 1st or 2nd round or not an intl sign.  Two of those were drafted after the 7th round.  

The other thing to note is that most high upside high school kids who get drafted and suddenly surprise were drafted in the first 5 rounds.  So the rest of the drafted guys who actually sign were college players.  more know quantities.  So if they surprise (like Calhoun), they end up in the majors before they can actually get ranked.  

15 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Being a top 100 is as much of a consequence of where you were drafted or what general pundits thought of you before you were signed.  

Using mlb.com rankings (which I don't think are great, but typical of the fairly boiler plate approach),

There is one player ranked in the top 30 who wasn't a fairly high profile intl signing or first round pick - Tyler O'neill - who exploded on the scene with big power even as a teenager.  He was drafted in the 3rd round.  

Otherwise, there are a smattering of guys not drafted in the top 2 rounds:

31. Hader (19th)

58. Alford (3rd) - pretty mediocre minor league career so far.  not sure where this ranking is justified.  

62. Bauers (7th) - has played above level for age, but another ranking I don't really get. 

63. Cease (6th) - Kid has been a beast so far.  

69. Calhoun, Willie (4th) - has been excellent so far and some minor league system's prospects get more of a look (he's with the dogs)

78. Gonsalves, Stephen (4th)- has been outstanding in his minor league career as lefty starter and only recently cracked the top 100 even though he was drafted out of HS

81. Bradley, Bobby (3rd) - big time power coming out of HS.  

94. Adams, Chance (5th) - era of 2 for his minor league career, a yankee prospect and only made it for the first time this year

97. Fowler, Dustin (18th) - could turn out to be a nice player, but as a prospect he's hasn't exactly set the world on fire.  but yankees

So that's 9 guys not drafted in the 1st or 2nd round or not an intl sign.  Two of those were drafted after the 7th round.  

The other thing to note is that most high upside high school kids who get drafted and suddenly surprise were drafted in the first 5 rounds.  So the rest of the drafted guys who actually sign were college players.  more know quantities.  So if they surprise (like Calhoun), they end up in the majors before they can actually get ranked.  

Let's say 1/3 of the guys are international signings. That means there are only 67 spots in the top 100 for drafted players. There are over 67 players drafted each year in the first two rounds. Let's say an average top 100 type prospect makes MLB in 4 years. It really doesn't leave much room for guys drafted later. Even if 1/4 of the top two rounds picks play up to their potential then that's enough to fill out the list. This is presuming they were drafted that highly because they have the most talent.

Chris Rodriguez went 5 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 4 K last night...   Hes now gone 10 IP, 4 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 11 Ks over his last two starts after a brutal open to the season. 

Leo Rivas is still raking .393/.507/.607 -- 12 BB 8K so far.  His career numbers to date .288/.419/.402...   Maybe we can dream of a leadoff 2B in the future.

4 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Chris Rodriguez went 5 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 4 K last night...   Hes now gone 10 IP, 4 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 11 Ks over his last two starts after a brutal open to the season. 

Leo Rivas is still raking .393/.507/.607 -- 12 BB 8K so far.  His career numbers to date .288/.419/.402...   Maybe we can dream of a leadoff 2B in the future.

I think young guys that succeed in the Pioneer League early on should just be promoted. I know they send the older ones up first, and then youngers (like they did with Jones last year), but I just don't see the purpose in delaying their entry into A Ball.

And as for Rivas, right now I'd say you're looking at minimum a Maicer Izturis or Alexi Amarista. Maxed out, I think the current version of Pedroia, without the home runs maybe.

In AZL, Nonie is holding his own in AZL (.250/.321/.382), which is a lot better than last year but hardly impressive. Still, 5 walks in 8 games is encouraging. Nate Smith has pitched 9.1 scoreless innings in three AZL starts, so should be back in the high minors before too long. Pearson's hitting .211 with no walks in 6 games, but 2 HR. No sign of Adell or Swanda yet.