• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Speaking of Texas

My suspicion would be that parents were trying to bypass the queue for auto pickup by parking in the school parking lot and/or in the local neighborhood. This would be a legitimate and common problem. My second suspicion is that the administration instead of trying to find a balanced solution for this problem chose the nuclear approach and eliminated all pedestrian pickup. Threatening criminal prosecution would seem to imply this.

On it's face this seems ridiculous...but it would have been nice to have a deeper explanation of why the school felt the policy was necessary

This was the most complete article I found that wasn't from Joe the Plumber or Newsmax (in the 30 seconds I took to research it)

That is my thought as well...as someone who lives half a block down the street from a school I can attest to what douchebags parents are. I mean serious douchebags. They'll park in your driveway, block your driveway, double park...I've seen one lady move trashcans in to the street so she could then park in front of someone's driveway. I enjoyed making her move the trashcans back, and then move her car while everyone else honked at her because for some reason it never dawned on her that putting trashcans in the middle of small street was stupid. Fire hydrants simply do not exist. They let their little germ mongers drop their trash in your lawn.

I think my favorite response is when you suggest to them that maybe parking across your driveway isn't cool is...oh, sorry I didn't realize I was blocking your driveway. As if somehow our cars parked in the driveway weren't a big hint. A few weeks ago I watched some idiot, who had blocked our neighbors driveway for 30 minutes so he could attend a school conference for his future dropout then argue with my neighbor and the police that how was he to know it was a driveway and suggested our neighbor was a bitch for calling the police because she couldn't get her car out of her driveway for 30 minutes...and didn't the police have more important things to do than give him a ticket.

So yeah...the story seems to be leaving a lot out here if that is one of the reasons driving the decision.

Edited by red321

too bad the author of the article couldn't provide as much insight for this as you guys have.

sadly, there are plenty of parents who, if given the chance, will act like morons because they're in more of a hurry than anyone else.

we have a couple of parents that are pure helicopter parents. they walk their 7th graders up to our area and then wait around until it's time for homeroom to start. these parents have two of the worst behaved kids in 7th grade. the kids have been disciplined several times, but the parents sit around and talk with each and start getting worked up over things, so they complain to the principal instead of talking directly to the teachers about issues. all their yacking to each other just seems to make things worse. meanwhile, their kids keep screwing around without any real change. 

and fyi, one of these parents is a cop.

That is my thought as well...as someone who lives half a block down the street from a school I can attest to what douchebags parents are. I mean serious douchebags. They'll park in your driveway, block your driveway, double park...I've seen one lady move trashcans in to the street so she could then park in front of someone's driveway. I enjoyed making her move the trashcans back, and then move her car while everyone else honked at her because for some reason it never dawned on her that putting trashcans in the middle of small street was stupid. Fire hydrants simply do not exist. They let their little germ mongers drop their trash in your lawn.

I think my favorite response is when you suggest to them that maybe parking across your driveway isn't cool is...oh, sorry I didn't realize I was blocking your driveway. As if somehow our cars parked in the driveway weren't a big hint. A few weeks ago I watched some idiot, who had blocked our neighbors driveway for 30 minutes so he could attend a school conference for his future dropout then argue with my neighbor and the police that how was he to know it was a driveway and suggested our neighbor was a bitch for calling the police because she couldn't get her car out of her driveway for 30 minutes...and didn't the police have more important things to do than give him a ticket.

So yeah...the story seems to be leaving a lot out here if that is one of the reasons driving the decision.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't it be better if the police enforced parking rules instead of the school instituting a ban on picking your kids up on foot?

On a side note, I don't think this rule is enforceable by any means.

For years we lived two blocks from the elementary school and walked our kids to school every day. In fact most of the neighborhood walked their kids to that school even if they were several blocks away. No traffic problems, nobody needing to call the police for people parked in their driveway. I guess lower middle class neighborhoods have more respect for people. 

http://www.fox26houston.com/news/117783912-story

Parents not allowed to walk kids to school.

I'm not sure what country this is anymore.

I guess the days of walking about a few blocks (elementary, high school) to a mile (junior high) to school is no longer a good thing?  And most of the time it was walking with neighborhood kids, or if you were late, alone.  Sad that that's no longer possible.

The school district responded to our request for comment with a statement fully supporting Principal Ray, saying the goal is a safe dismissal process.

So parents on school grounds make it unsafe. Got it. It's much better with a bunch of constables around to arrest parents if they dare to step on school grounds.

I rode my bike to school for most of elementary. Before that I took mass transit - by myself, which you would never allow a first grader to do today.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

In my experience in these matters, generally speaking, the people demanding police already did their homework and found obscure laws we dont enforce to tell us to enforce....so even whn we try and calm them down and tell them its silly to complain, they have a point that there are laws on the book.

Were kind of stuck when that happens. Even if its stupid