• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Infield Defense

So not to be too negative here on Opening Day, but I feel like this is a legit concern. If Pujols is not going to be able to play 1B more than 80 games, we are in serious trouble in this area. Escobar, Giavotella, cron...that's just too many below average fielders in one infield, I don't care how great Simmons is out there. Escobar is significantly worse than Freese from what I've seen. That's hard to do

Right now, Escobar is a concern.  He was a butcher last year.  He looked every bit of that during spring and tonight.  I don't see how he ever become a plus defender.  His hands aren't that great for a former SS.  He really seems like a fish out of water playing 3b.  Gia and Cron looked fine.  Simmons will be great.  Perez will be great.  But Escobar is gonna be an issue.  

Right now, Escobar is a concern. He was a butcher last year. He looked every bit of that during spring and tonight. I don't see how he ever become a plus defender. His hands aren't that great for a former SS. He really seems like a fish out of water playing 3b. Gia and Cron looked fine. Simmons will be great. Perez will be great. But Escobar is gonna be an issue.

Agree about Escobar but that botched ground ball by Cron was bad. He's a big concern too. Giavotella has to be a worry too given how bad he was last year.

I might be wrong, but from it looks like Pujols might not have so many leg problems if he lost some weight. I think 30 pounds would make a tremendous difference.

We really need his glove at 1st. I don't trust Cron for anything. I also see him choking in the playoffs if we do make it.

Edited by CaliAngel

Cub pitchers threw more strikes last night, and I think that might help explain why Angel defenders had more trouble fielding.

For example Arrieta threw 64 strikes and 25 balls.

Richards threw 58 strikes and 39 balls.

Cub relievers threw a higher percentage of strikes than Angel relievers.

Good point!

The shifts are whatever. The numbers say they work more than not...sometimes you will get burned, that's baseball I guess.

The more concerning fact is that we have a 3rd baseman who has never played the position well and is 33 years old. A 1st baseman who can't move and has stone hands. And a 2nd baseman who has looked better so far but was extremely marginal. Those are things that make winning baseball games extremely difficult. The pitching staff is not built to have liabilities at two corner infield positions