• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

MLB is stupid sometimes

Glen

So yesterday there were three regular season games and one spring training game. Today is "opening day" and it's on a Monday, the worst day of the week. Four of the teams that played regular games yesterday don't play today.

****ing stupid.

Make it opening weekend instead of opening day. Highlight regional rivalries and/or have a two-day World Series rematch. It's not rocket science.

You are not wrong. Opening day should be on Monday, we should hold onto the tradition that the Reds start at home and are the first game of the season.

Glen this isn't as bad as last year or the year before when real games were played in Japan a full week or ten days before the season started. Then the teams that played those real games went back and played some more practice games before they played more real games again.

Saturday and Sunday are probably the most attended regular games of the season.

So outside of the playoffs, why would you put your most watched/attended games on a day in which people are going to attend anyways?  I would think that marketing would dictate that filling up a regular half attended day of games versus a sold out stadium filled with people at a premium price is better than filling a regular season almost sold out game with a premium price sold out game. 

I'll give you a reason they don't start on Friday -- No one wants a home weekend series at the start of the season.  April games are low attendance and most of the teams still have a serious threat of bad weather.  If you have the opening weekend games in Southern states, those teams all get penalized in annual attendance because they always would have more April home games than the Northern teams. By starting on Monday it gives the opening weekend a better chance of playable weather.

I'll give you a reason they don't start on Friday -- No one wants a home weekend series at the start of the season. April games are low attendance and most of the teams still have a serious threat of bad weather. If you have the opening weekend games in Southern states, those teams all get penalized in annual attendance because they always would have more April home games than the Northern teams. By starting on Monday it gives the opening weekend a better chance of playable weather.

Two whole days. I was arguing for Saturday.

Again, it's no event. Everyone knows when football starts. Only baseball fans know when baseball starts.

Edited by Glen

stupid they had one exhibition scheduled....totally agree.

This exhibition game was Arte's attempt to fleece Angels fans for more money.  I received a few emails from the Angels season tickets rep stating that since the Angels vs Cubs exhibition game was scheduled after the end of the 2015 season, season ticket holders would not be receiving tickets to this game...but can/could purchase these tickets separately. 

I wonder why the Mens BB final game always seems to go up against opening day, but each sport figures there isn't much overlap between the fans of each sport.

I turned on the SNB figuring it was the "first" game of the season of the whole league to only watch the end of the Rays/Jays game and find out the SNB was actually the 3rd "real" game of the season. How jacked up is that?

Those weekend exhibitions against the Dodgers and, this year, the Cubs, are freebies for Arte.

Players don't get paid an extra dollar.  They get paid for 162.

Arte isn't giving those dates up.  Those dates are like crack for owners like Arte. 

The schedule is beyond stupid.

Saturday and Sunday are probably the most attended regular games of the season.

So outside of the playoffs, why would you put your most watched/attended games on a day in which people are going to attend anyways?  I would think that marketing would dictate that filling up a regular half attended day of games versus a sold out stadium filled with people at a premium price is better than filling a regular season almost sold out game with a premium price sold out game.

My head hurts.

And I believe opening day sells our regardless.

in '02, the angels and indians opened on sunday night while everyone else opened on monday. i liked that approach and wish they would do it like that every year.

i'd also be okay if they made sunday the opening day for everyone.

and the exhibition game on sunday was just stupid. no reason to do that again.