• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Jessica Mendoza

Chuck

Why can't everyone be like Vin Scully? Because if you do it wrong, you end up being Hawk Harrelson, which is the most unwelcome noise to ever grace a microphone.

I'd rather listen to Harrelson than Scully. At least Hawk will keep me awake for more than half of an inning.

And he won't butcher names or refuse to refer to us as "Los Angeles "

and he's not orange

Edited by Lou

I personally don't see the infatuation with her.

She never played professional baseball in her life (don't give me that softball crap, completely different game). Isn't one of the main pitches in softball a "rise ball"? How many major league pitchers throw a rise ball?

Why is some woman who never played major league baseball breaking down and critiquing major league players swings? And why are we so PC that we praise this? Just like now, I call her out for being mediocre and never play the game of baseball, I'm sure ill be labeled a sexist even though I'm not. I just don't think she deserves to be up there.

Because she has a rack and speaks eloquently means she is good at what she does or deserving? Nah.

No. I just think your position is stupid. Most scouts were never professional baseball players. Most front office types weren't either. People are perfectly capable of learning the mechanics, biomechanics, and physics of baseball without playing. They can break down a swing without having made MLB. It's their job to do so. They can evaluate throwing motions, speed, and routes taken too. If scouts can do it there is absolutely no reason Jessica Mendoza can't do it.

And if you want to talk strategy I think the best analysis comes from people who weren't former players. Former players fall back on the "playing the game the right way" and "this is how we did things" so therefore it is the correct strategy. A lot of what is considered good strategy right now has come from people who never played the game at an advanced level let alone MLB. If someone wants to hear the argument from tradition over and over listen to any of the 25 or so color analysts who make it all the time. If not, I'm sure you can make it for yourself. Just say anytime someone strikes out with a man on base "They should have bunted" and anytime someone hits a HR just say "That can kill a rally, we'll see how the team responds".

Also just making MLB hardly makes people qualified to be a color analyst. There are plenty of analysts who were terrible MLB players. Why should a guy who was terrible at his job be the guy who explains the job to me? Imagine they took a really horrible employee in your office training the new employees. Telling them what is expected of them, what their objectives are, and how to act in the office.

But absolutely disqualifying anyone who hasn't played the game is stupid. It's also really convenient excuse to be sexist because no woman has played MLB baseball in our lifetimes an there likely won't be. "If ever there were to be a woman qualified for this job I'd totally support her. It's just impossible that a woman could ever be qualified based on my standards".

Edited by eaterfan

Lawrence, I remember watching games on ESPN classic from the 70's and it is an entirely different game. The pitchers would catch the ball on the mound, look at the catcher and pitch the ball. The game would be like watching todays game, but at about 20% fast forward. Today's game is much slower, so when you say 2 hours of baseball, that only gets you to the 7th inning.

Not to mention each hitter's walk-up music, every reliever's walk-in music, etc.

A woman's worth isn't based solely on her looks, dipshit.

Sure, but if I hafta look at her when I'm trying to watch a ballgame, it's gonna have some influence...

Remember who you're talking to. He'd say no to boning an attractive woman to put her in her place

I would and I have. I mean, it's not as cut and dry as you make it sound. There's a lot of women who men think are hot that I don't find particularly attractive. But if you wanna know how to REALLY piss off a woman who never gets told no...LOL

Why is some woman who never played major league baseball breaking down and critiquing major league players swings?

Why is some poster on AngelsWin, who never done color commentary for ESPN, think you have to be an ex-MLB player to understand the nuances of the game?

This has vibes of someone who's never played baseball before. Kinda like Ms. Mendoza.

Give me a break. Just a hunch she's competed in softball at a much higher level than most if not all on here have competed in baseball. She would be able to add value to a broadcast. Not to mention there are a ton of coaches that never played in the majors. Tony LaRussa anyone?