• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official 2017 Major League Baseball Thread

NrM

The Nationals have 7 stolen bases tonight off of Miguel Montero meaning Montero is now 1 for 32 (3 percent) this season throwing out would be base stealers. He's on pace for the lowest caught stealing percentage (min 25 attempts) for a Cubs catcher since at least 1969. In the last 30 years only one catcher on any team has been worse over a full season: Hank Conger was 1 for 43 in 2015.

7 minutes ago, Richard said:

The Nationals have 7 stolen bases tonight off of Miguel Montero meaning Montero is now 1 for 32 (3 percent) this season throwing out would be base stealers. He's on pace for the lowest caught stealing percentage (min 25 attempts) for a Cubs catcher since at least 1969. In the last 30 years only one catcher on any team has been worse over a full season: Hank Conger was 1 for 43 in 2015.

Those steals were mostly on Arrieta, many of them were no throw steals.

This morning I see Miggy talking to the media blaming Arrieta for all of the steals ( and it is mostly the pitcher's fault). About an hour later this pops up.

BASEBALL
Montero designated for assignment by Cubs after he blast Arrieta – Chicago Sun-Times

Cubs catcher Miguel Montero has been designated for assignment Wednesday after he blamed pitcher Jake Arrieta for the team’s loss against the Washington Nationals.

The Cubs are calling catcher Victor Caratini up from Iowa to replace Montero.

9 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Man, it has unraveled for Arrieta after being as good as any pitcher in MLB in 2015.

His 2015, especially the 2nd half, was the stuff of legend. Historical.

He basically pitched and extra 3 months more than others over the last 2+seasons, and those innings were high stress innings (Smoltz says he felt like every inning he pitched in the post season was equal to 3 regular innings) And his workout regimen has been criticized for being heavy on weights and strength and not on running (legs and endurance)

And he's been unable to command his fastball at all this season, which is probably the major reason.  Lester can't hold runners, so he doesn't allow runners.

21 minutes ago, Homebrewer said:

This morning I see Miggy talking to the media blaming Arrieta for all of the steals ( and it is mostly the pitcher's fault). About an hour later this pops up.

BASEBALL
Montero designated for assignment by Cubs after he blast Arrieta – Chicago Sun-Times

Cubs catcher Miguel Montero has been designated for assignment Wednesday after he blamed pitcher Jake Arrieta for the team’s loss against the Washington Nationals.

The Cubs are calling catcher Victor Caratini up from Iowa to replace Montero.

This could be an opportunity for us to buy. Montero is hitting well from the left side and would compliment Maldonado offensively. He's also a good pitch framer.

7 minutes ago, ettin said:

This could be an opportunity for us to buy. Montero is hitting well from the left side and would compliment Maldonado offensively. He's also a good pitch framer.

Had the same thought ettin...Miggy is pretty clutch also, really good hitter off the bench in big situations.

5 minutes ago, ettin said:

Personally, I don't think the need for a second catcher is enough to spend the resources, especially since Graterol has been a good back-up, but Montero would be a good fit. I wonder if a larger trade could be orchestrated, perhaps with a reliever going to Chitown.

Cubs could use some relief help I think, maybe pitching or outfield depth. Wonder if Revere, Chavez, Petit, Street, etc would be of any interest. 

2 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Personally, I don't think the need for a second catcher is enough to spend the resources, especially since Graterol has been a good back-up, but Montero would be a good fit. I wonder if a larger trade could be orchestrated, perhaps with a reliever going to Chitown. 

Sure and that was my point insofar as if the price comes down enough to make it worthwhile. As far as relievers Chicago has a pretty strong bullpen so there isn't much of a need as far as I see (at least from the Bud Norris article) although Chicago could move one of their younger guys back down for a veteran. We could also send Carlos Perez perhaps. Would love to pick up Zagunis for LF.

20 minutes ago, ettin said:

Sure and that was my point insofar as if the price comes down enough to make it worthwhile. As far as relievers Chicago has a pretty strong bullpen so there isn't much of a need as far as I see (at least from the Bud Norris article) although Chicago could move one of their younger guys back down for a veteran. We could also send Carlos Perez perhaps. Would love to pick up Zagunis for LF.

Perez for Montero seems like a potential fit. Angels would be giving up a lot of control for a pending FA, so if there was room to sneak back someone like Zagunis or Candelario by throwing in an arm it'd have my interest. Little bit of parallel to Bandy for Maldonado.

Cubs definitely need pitching help, in my opinion.