• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Man Thread

I thought it was a good idea to replace a broken landscape light out in the front yard. When I tried to attach the new light to the low voltage electrical I realized the line was severed on both ends. Then I checked the other lights and they are all disconnected and broken. In fact there isn't even a transformer to make any of the goddamn lights work. I want to murder the previous owner.

Why you hired a guy that didn't do his job? Yes. He was supposed to check all wiring for continuity. Sounds like he mailed it in. I'm betting the realtor recommended him.

Ya but the realtor is a close friend and she wouldn't screw me over. The inspector found some other electrical problems and a framing issue that we had fixed by the previous owner so maybe he just missed outdoor lighting part.

Edited by Lawrence

So your guys mail it in to get another sub prime home sold to unqualified buyers. Holmes on Homes would definitely be disappointed in a stern Canadian way.

Why or how did you ever pick up that they were mine or I had anything to do with inspections to assume that "your guys mail it in"?

Unreal.

Why or how did you ever pick up that they were mine or I had anything to do with inspections to assume that "your guys mail it in"?

Unreal.

HAHAHA I actually laughed out loud after reading this.

Lawrence, are you a new homeowner? Is this your first? I'll tell you that IMO, it doesn't matter how goddamn good your inspector is, doesn't matter how hard you look, when you move into a home from a previous owner (even sometimes if you're the FIRST owner of the house) you're almost always going to miss something, and some things just aren't going to be right. Be happy if there's no mold damage, termite damage, and the home has quality electrical, plumbing, HVAC and insulation. That's pretty much all you can ask for. If you got those things down, you're doing pretty good.

Low voltage outdoor lighting is pretty simple stuff, not a big deal AT ALL as far as I'm concerned. "Yah, I think we're gonna pass on the house, that low voltage outdoor lighting looks preeeeeetty sheisty...." said no one ever.

I'd prolly wanna tear all that old shit out and start from scratch anyway if it was me.

Ya it's my first house and I have an eye for finding any small thing that's wrong. I'm really anal and my wife thinks I'm going batshit with all the little nuances I find and want to fix. I should probably listen to her and relax. Like you suggested, if there's no mold or termites or anything major I should take it easy.

I thought it was a good idea to replace a broken landscape light out in the front yard. When I tried to attach the new light to the low voltage electrical I realized the line was severed on both ends. Then I checked the other lights and they are all disconnected and broken. In fact there isn't even a transformer to make any of the goddamn lights work. I want to murder the previous owner.

Ma Bad!......... BTW, those are Solar powered lights.....

Unreal.

Yanking your chain, Brandon. The Canadian TV building inspector should have been a clue.

No, don't relax. This is your house and you can be as nitpicky as you want. All those things he listed are absolute minimum. Good enough is for pansies.

No, DO relax.

Lawrence, your wife might be right with you going batshit about all the nuances. Lucky you, she's happy with what she has. I inspect about 4+ houses a day, in various neighborhoods around SoCal (from Santa Clarita to San Diego). A house is rarely perfect. Even the fancy million dollar ones. It may look all good from the street, when you visit or walk in, but folks that live there for 6+ months-40 years in any house notice weird things that bug them. Being as nitpicky as you want to be all at once will drive you friggin' bonkers. You can eventually get to fixing them. Low voltage exterior lighting is a perfect example.

Let me be clear, what I mentioned are not absolute minimums at all. They are the absolute maximum. I am in the home improvement business (plumbing, electrical, roofing, stucco siding, HVAC, windows) and those areas can and will be HUGE nightmares that can amount to 10, if not 20, maybe 30 thousand dollars worth of work if they're screwed up or done improperly. I have seen it, I have heard it from homeowners firsthand while they're pulling their hair out, and that's the type of stuff that makes you regret buying a property immediately.

It sounds like the major foundation items of the house are OK, so chill pill. Along the way fix the stuff that's bugging you, and get to it when you can. But from what it sounds like you bought a good house, and eventually once you get to the smaller things, it will become an ideal house.

When you own a home you want it to be right. You don't want loose unaccounted for wiring, you want everything to work properly.

Men fix shit, women sit around waiting for it to be fixed.

Be a man, don't listen to Cali, go to the Home Depot and buy some fix this shit and a tool you never thought you needed but damn it is beefy and could cause some damage. Then get a sixer of domestic beer, some ice and a cooler and get to work.

Then go back to the Home Depot because you forgot to get the right fix it shit or you broke some shit but who gives a shit you will fix this because that's what men do.

Then Sunday night when you finish about 2am roust your wife out of bed to show her the new walkway lights. She is going to look at you with that look, that you're a man.

And then not talk to you for a week.

But the lights work.

Edited by notti

Eric, I love that post. Home Depot can go **** itself, mainly because I blame them when I buy the wrong fix it shit. How can they not tell me the right stuff to buy when I give them very shitty non technical terms for what I am trying to accomplish? And when they talk back to me for verification using technical terms, I don't want them to think I have no idea what they are talking about so I say, "yea, the flux capacitor" and I end up not fixing the lights and coming back.

The internet is much better than HD for finding exact parts.  Then you can go buy them from HD.  Just have to keep searching until you are certain.  HD will let you return the wrong thing though.

When it comes to a house, I say fix everything and anything you can if you have the ability.  It makes for a better living experience and I find the process cathartic.

The wife can keep it clean.

Edited by nate