• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Brandon Wood Update

None of that is relevant to what they are talking about. The issue people are talking about is he was called up and would play very infrequently, which, if you aren't mentally strong enough, could be very challenging for a young player. He never recovered, it is ultimately his fault for not performing the following year when he was given the opportunity, but when he was called up and didn't have immediate success and then played once a week, it went to his head and he didn't recover.

If that experience truly made him hit under a .100 in independent ball several years later then I'd suggest his mental toughness was pretty weak. Wood looked pretty lost day 1 in the MLB and there weren't even glimpses of anything but him being overmatched. 

Edited by Erstad Grit

None of that is relevant to what they are talking about. The issue people are talking about is he was called up and would play very infrequently, which, if you aren't mentally strong enough, could be very challenging for a young player. He never recovered, it is ultimately his fault for not performing the following year when he was given the opportunity, but when he was called up and didn't have immediate success and then played once a week, it went to his head and he didn't recover.

I thought we agreed you were going to stop trolling me. Geez, I can't have a opinion?

Edited by Troll Daddy

I really really hope it works out for Brandon. It was impossible not to feel so sorry for him over the way things turned out. Prospects bust all the time but he lost the ability to hit practically overnight. He was even overmatched in indy ball, which is crazy when you think about how good a AAA hitter he was in his day. I'm sure a large part of it was mental and the tinkering with his swing certainly seemed not to help. But there were more straight-forward weaknesses he could never fix, like the ability to hit a curveball. Nevertheless, he always seemed to work hard and have a good attitude. I wish him nothing but the best.

I've always held Sosh partially responsible for what happened to Brandon Wood.

He should have been kept in the minors playing everyday until he had a real spot open.

I like Sosh but I believe one of his weaknesses is dealing with young players who don't succeed immediately.

Why that the managers fault and not the GM?

• 5 months later...

Reading that sean rodriguez interview, it stands out to see christian music and trance music in the same sentence.  Also, when he lied about not going on the internet, you should have said "so you dont mind if we go on your phone right now and look up your browser history? If i type in 'por', how will your spellcheck finish that?"

I honestly think wood played a big role in the later vernon wells and pujols splurges by arte. I know he was real high on the kid and imagined having a bonafide slugger (aside from vlad). After he faltered up here and was sent down, arte kept the faith and believed hed be back and mash.

I think arte got sock of waiting for our farm to churn out superstars, and trued to buy them. Aybar and howie were very good for us. Naps was great but obviously, meh... but wood, kotch, mcpherson and mathis...i think after the hype and the end result, moreno got impatient, and here we are.

Great for Brandon Wood !!

thanks for posting this -- I did not see the article.

I think a guy like Brandon Wood and what he's been through -- top prospect, making the show but never really 'living up to his potential'  -- can really relate to the draft picks of today and help these kids through the adjustment from amateur ball to professional baseball.

I am hoping Brandon Wood does well in this new role for him..........

looks like I am way behind the curve on this one -- Wood is already OUT and no one knows why........

oh well, minor league managing take patience and perhaps some just don't have it.....hard to say.

let's forget I even posted anything about this.............

maybe Wood is back coaching high school baseball closer to his hometown or something.......full time teaching job and coaching probably nets him more income.

not sure how much of a MLB pension he qualified for............did he get the equivalent of 4 years MLB roster time?  That used to be the vesting point -- I think the more recent MLBPA agreement may have reduced or eliminated the vesting time requirement - not sure.

23 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

I honestly think wood played a big role in the later vernon wells and pujols splurges by arte. I know he was real high on the kid and imagined having a bonafide slugger (aside from vlad). After he faltered up here and was sent down, arte kept the faith and believed hed be back and mash.

Just further evidence proving Arte has absolutely no business making decisions by judging baseball players and their ability to play the game, all on his own.

20 hours ago, calscuf said:

I remember I bought a team card set of the Cedar Rapids Kernels years ago and it had Mathis and Kotchman and Johan (Ervin) Santana and McPherson and I framed it and was like, this shit is gonna be worth a ton someday.

it can still be worth some good money 

what is the frame like? 

On 9/3/2016 at 2:21 AM, calscuf said:

I remember I bought a team card set of the Cedar Rapids Kernels years ago and it had Mathis and Kotchman and Johan (Ervin) Santana and McPherson and I framed it and was like, this shit is gonna be worth a ton someday.

Just cross out Ervin and it should up the value.