• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Climate Change

Climate Change  

24 members have voted

1. 1. ?

• Yes
    • No

Doesn't anyone stop to realize how arrogant mankind has become on this issue?  Our understanding of atmospheric sciences is still very primitive, yet somehow humans are smart enough and capable enough to fix the problem. 

We humans are a bunch of idiots.  Even the best of us screw up often and make bad assumptions everyday.  I wouldn't be surprised to learn that certain assumptions regarding climate change are later proven false and what we've been doing to "correct" the problem is actually counterproductive. 

Despite the many examples of idiocy, humans have figured out a lot of impressive shit over the past 100 years. It isn't far fetched to think that the study of climate change is solid. We have people living in space...FÅ«cking SPACE. We have mapped human DNA. We stream Netflix on iphones...etc.

That said I'm not sure we have figured out how to fix the climate change problem. But I do think that substantial effort is necessary to find a solution. The answer might be complex or even stupid simple. Either way, 100 years from now, that generation will be LOL'ing at our idiocy and impressed with our accomplishments.

As long as we don't hit by a meteor.

Despite the many examples of idiocy, humans have figured out a lot of impressive shit over the past 100 years. It isn't far fetched to think that the study of climate change is solid. We have people living in space...FÅ«cking SPACE. We have mapped human DNA. We stream Netflix on iphones...etc.

That said I'm not sure we have figured out how to fix the climate change problem. But I do think that substantial effort is necessary to find a solution. The answer might be complex or even stupid simple. Either way, 100 years from now, that generation will be LOL'ing at our idiocy and impressed with our accomplishments.

As long as we don't hit by a meteor.

We really should be planting a lot more trees. Of course in SoCal these days everyone is being paid by the government to take out their lawns because of the drought... So one crisis at a time I guess.

• 1 month later...

At some point, you have to leave the deniers in the dust until they can provide strong evidence to the contrary. Otherwise, science would never move forward. When there is overwhelming evidence for a theory, which is tested and observed over and over again, and near unanimous consensus is reached within the scientific community, they are accepted as facts. Well substantiated theories are still being tested and observed today and they pass each time with flying colors. This is how science works. You don't treat both sides as equals. Otherwise you end up with kids walking out of the science classroom in parts of the Midwest and deep south thinking that evolution is "just a theory" and that there is a great case to be made for climate change denial.

52 minutes ago, InsideThePark said:

At some point, you have to leave the deniers in the dust until they can provide strong evidence to the contrary. Otherwise, science would never move forward. When there is overwhelming evidence for a theory, which is tested and observed over and over again, and near unanimous consensus is reached within the scientific community, they are accepted as facts. Well substantiated theories are still being tested and observed today and they pass each time with flying colors. This is how science works. You don't treat both sides as equals. Otherwise you end up with kids walking out of the science classroom in parts of the Midwest and deep south thinking that evolution is "just a theory" and that there is a great case to be made for climate change denial.

Funny.  We're nowhere close to understanding the diseases of the human body, yet somehow, the theories on climate change are forever beyond reproach. 

2 hours ago, mp170.6 said:

Funny.  We're nowhere close to understanding the diseases of the human body, yet somehow, the theories on climate change are forever beyond reproach. 

Yeah you pretty much tried to make that lame argument earlier in the thread by saying that we humans are all dumbasses and then make that connection as an argument against climate change. Of course now you bring up diseases lol.  Deniers use these strange philosophical tactics as a means to muddy the waters. I guess this is what happens when the case trying to be made on the subject of science is politically motivated.

Nothing in science is beyond reproach. As mentioned in the last post, well substantiated theories such as climate change, Evolution, 4.5 billion year Earth, gravity, etc. are tested and tested and tested. Each time, overwhelming evidence points to the same conclusion. Until evidence is provided that begins to tip the scale the other way, it is foolish to treat all sides equally.

I don't think anyone is denying that the world has warmed up by a couple degrees over the last century or two. I think it's just that many of us question how much humans have had an impact on climate and also question if some of our enviromental regulations have been an overreaction. 

A guy told me a couple months ago that 2015 was the hottest year ever. I told him I was honored to meet a person over a billion years old. 

1 hour ago, InsideThePark said:

Yeah you pretty much tried to make that lame argument earlier in the thread by saying that we humans are all dumbasses and then make that connection as an argument against climate change. Of course now you bring up diseases lol.  Deniers use these strange philosophical tactics as a means to muddy the waters. I guess this is what happens when the case trying to be made on the subject of science is politically motivated.

Nothing in science is beyond reproach. As mentioned in the last post, well substantiated theories such as climate change, Evolution, 4.5 billion year Earth, gravity, etc. are tested and tested and tested. Each time, overwhelming evidence points to the same conclusion. Until evidence is provided that begins to tip the scale the other way, it is foolish to treat all sides equally.

How exactly have we "tested" the 4.5 billion year Earth idea since no human can vouch for being here at that time?

This is the problem with attitudes such as yours.  The science community -- and especially anybody with Ph.D. attached to their name -- does not handle skepticism well.  It's that "little man"  syndrome where everybody thumbs their nose at what they perceive to be the unwashed masses. 

If you want the idea of climate change to be more readily accepted, you would be well-served not to make condescending jabs at people just because they live in the midwest or the south.  Some humility on your end wouldn't hurt the cause either.

On 5/23/2016 at 10:42 PM, mp170.6 said:

How exactly have we "tested" the 4.5 billion year Earth idea since no human can vouch for being here at that time?

Oh dear lord, you are making the same argument that Young Earthers try to push. "You weren't there!" You might want to look into something called radiometric dating... most notably uranium-lead dating. Actually don't - you'll just deny that too. Because maybe man was riding on dinosaurs.  weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

On 5/23/2016 at 10:42 PM, mp170.6 said:

If you want the idea of climate change to be more readily accepted, you would be well-served not to make condescending jabs at people just because they live in the midwest or the south. 

Reading comprehension, amigo. The point I made is that if science students in those areas are being led to believe that certain positions are equal (based on current evidence), it's actually not their fault. Rather, the fault lies with those on the board of education for not putting together a better curriculum. Politics and religion shouldn't have any influence on how science is taught but unfortunately it's still happening in present times.