• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Special attention is helping Angels catcher Carlos Perez develop in his second season

Redondo

Special attention is helping Angels catcher Carlos Perez develop in his second season

Steve Soliz peppers the Angels catchers with fastballs from the pitching machine each morning. They start at 60 feet 6 inches. After every three each player secures, they take two steps up, until they are within 45 feet of the machine. It is, more or less, a pitch-framing drill. The intention is...

I think he'll have an up and down year, maybe even a brief demotion around the ASB to give him a refresher and a chance for Bandy to get a couple weeks, but ultimately develop into a great defensive catcher with a decent bat and be our guy for the next few seasons. 

Great trade by Dipoto. Astros are currently looking for catcher depth now.

Edited by totdprods

One of those things you never realize unless you work with these guys on a daily basis. I knew Perez was quiet, but I didn't know he came with the need for special defensive attention. Watching him last year, I thought he was a very good defender back there, he even rated decent in pitch framing. I guess there are subtle nuances we never really see.

Edited by ScottyA_MWAH

I think people are going to be very pleasantly surprised by Perez performance this year.  He was raw and green last year with very little experience and was very good defensively.  He's got a solid approach at the plate per his minor league numbers.  Not the complete free swinger people think he is.  I don't see any regression in him at all.  In fact, I think he's gonna be a 2-3 WAR player 

Take the over on this guy.  I'm telling you.  

I think people are going to be very pleasantly surprised by Perez performance this year.  He was raw and green last year with very little experience and was very good defensively.  He's got a solid approach at the plate per his minor league numbers.  Not the complete free swinger people think he is.  I don't see any regression in him at all.  In fact, I think he's gonna be a 2-3 WAR player 

Good input. I'm looking for him to have a solid year also.

Nice seeing at least one of our young players hopefully taking that next step.

Agree completely, been saying the same thing.

He's got "The Look" and unlike some of the other projects we've had behind the plate, the guy can hit.

Perez and Bandy are going to be a real nice young combo.

I thought Carlos Perez played well last year when given a chance and will prove to be a good acquisition for the Halos.

it's an upgrade at the catcher position this year for us.

Meanwhile, look over at KC where they have Salvadore Perez who is quickly becoming the best defensive catcher in the game (as Yadier ages) and then they have Butera (former Dodgers' back up) and Tony Cruz as back ups........pretty sold behind the plate.......who-ever is odd man out to be the back up there could probably help some other mlb team.

didn't realize (or rather forgot) that Butera played for a short time with us last year and then went to KC.

can't hit much, but pretty solid defensively.

Tony Cruz may be the better choice for KC --- he spent the first four/ five years of his career being back up to Yadier Molina so he might as well back up Yadier's heir apparent to the 'best catcher in baseball' title........and please don't mention Buster Posey to me like all my SF Giants pals do. Buster is a great ballplayer but he's a hitter and needs to be moved to 1B for at least half of his games -- he's too good of a hitter to have him catching 162 games.

Save/extend Buster's career, move him to 1B for at least 81 games a year if not more.