• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Figgins retires, signs one day contract with Angels

Jobu

Because Figgins was a guy who drew walks often, Seattle was always stupid in not letting him be their leadoff hitter, a guy who always hits his way on base like Ichiro is more suited for hitting 2nd where 1 hit moves figgins from 1st to 3rd. Seattle was also stupid in trying to build an offense around 2 leadoff hitters.

Because Figgins was a guy who drew walks often, Seattle was always stupid in not letting him be their leadoff hitter, a guy who always hits his way on base like Ichiro is more suited for hitting 2nd where 1 hit moves figgins from 1st to 3rd. Seattle was also stupid in trying to build an offense around 2 leadoff hitters.

Are you insinuating Seattle is stupid?

He joins the long list of guys who signed huge free agent deals for a new club, struggled, it got into their heads and they could never become the players they once were. That list towers over the almost empty list of guys who signed huge free agent deals for a new club and maintained their excellent performance for the duration of the contract.

Also the fact Seattle paid him 3rd base money then put him at second.

The entire time we had him at third people were saying,  "we can't have a light hitting third baseman, we need to move him to the outfield and get a 3B with power."  Sad thing is all these years later we still haven't replaced his production at third.

Count me in. Figgins was my favorite player on the Angels while he was here.

I seem to remember a stretch where he hit nearly .400 for something like two months. He was en fuego. Anyone else remember that? No, it wasn't spring training.

Pretty sure he holds the record for most hits in the month of june by an Angel.

Most one-sided trade ever in favor of the Halos?   (Bartee for Figgins in early 2000s)

The Ryan acquisition was close, because Jim Fregosi by 1972 was not nearly the player that he was in Anaheim in his prime.  

Thank you Figgy for bringing your strengths to the franchise, wish we had someone who could unnerve pitchers on the bases like you did.

Trout did early on, but now is just another speedy guy who doesn't steal a lot. 

Edited by Angel Oracle

Most one-sided trade ever in favor of the Halos?   (Bartee for Figgins in early 2000s)

The Ryan acquisition was close, because Jim Fregosi by 1972 was not nearly the player that he was in Anaheim in his prime.  

Thank you Figgy for bringing your strengths to the franchise, wish we had someone who could unnerve pitchers on the bases like you did.

Trout did early on, but now is just another speedy guy who doesn't steal a lot. 

id say without a doubt!

Maybe my memory isn't what it used to be, but I don't recall Figgins being anything spectacular. Seemed like a nice dude and had a couple decent seasons for us, but it's not like he's HOF worthy!

I don't think anyone in this thread has claimed he's even close to HOF worthy. He was a solid player who had a really great 2009 season. I'd imagine his 2009 season is among the best single seasons since 2000 other than by Vlad and Trout. His other seasons were fine, putting up respectable numbers and defense that wouldn't kill the team at up to 7 positions. That versatility has value that isn't easily quantifiable. When he got to focus on playing just 3B not only was his defense not bad, it actually became a strength. People on here are just posting their fond memories and thoughts about a unique player in Angels history.