• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

"As a pitcher, I'd be pretty upset," Trout said.

ABC

There's also a big difference between celebrating in October versus staring down a pitcher when you hit a home run in the 7th inning of a game in the middle of a season.

Exactly what Douche Carlos Guillen did against Weave in 2011.

Too bad it wasn't Guillen who had the next pitch sail over his head.

It certainly isn't the guy that needs to "get over himself". You like guys who flip bats I like guys that are classy and don't feel the need to show someone up. It is no different than the guy on a football field that gets all crazy after he sacks the QB when his team is down by 3 TDs in the fourth quarter. If you hit a home run in a big moment go ahead and celebrate, but your celebration should be about what you did and it shouldn't be directed at the opposing pitcher. I like how the Angels celebrate after a walk off hit, because it is about the accomplishment and not about the opposing team. So you side with guys like Harper and Big Papi, I choose not too.

When I was in 5th grade ('96) I was on a team with the best pitcher in our whole Little League. His dad was one of our coaches. One game the kid struck out the side and smiled on his way back to the dug out. He gets in the dug out and his dad gets in his face and yells at him for 3 minutes about showing up the other team and that he shouldn't be smiling on the field. He benched him the rest of the game. That's a guy who really respected playing the game the right way.

to me, this whole thought process goes along with the rewarding of bullshit.  

yah!!! my kid got 4th place!!  throw a party and buy the kid an xbox.  

whoopty do basil!

Please explain. To me it seems like you are implying celebrating a HR is celebrating failure. It seems to me being offended by someone flipping a bat would be sheltering the pitcher from the consequences of failure. 

Please explain. To me it seems like you are implying celebrating a HR is celebrating failure. It seems to me being offended by someone flipping a bat would be sheltering the pitcher from the consequences of failure. 

not celebrating failure but celebrating something worth mild acknowledgement.  

there are about 5000 hrs hit each season.  you just hit a solo shot in the 8th inning to give your team a 7 run lead.   

"OH YEAH!  HOW YOU LIKE ME NOW!" bat flip stare at the pitcher stare at the opposing dugout 

I'm far from offended btw.  I get this mild visceral embarrassment for the person making a spectacle of something not worthy of that response.  

And the pitcher clearly knows the consequence of how they failed.  If they need some guy showboating to motivate them then I don't know what to say.  

When I was in 5th grade ('96) I was on a team with the best pitcher in our whole Little League. His dad was one of our coaches. One game the kid struck out the side and smiled on his way back to the dug out. He gets in the dug out and his dad gets in his face and yells at him for 3 minutes about showing up the other team and that he shouldn't be smiling on the field. He benched him the rest of the game. That's a guy who really respected playing the game the right way.

That dad is a dick.

It certainly isn't the guy that needs to "get over himself". You like guys who flip bats I like guys that are classy and don't feel the need to show someone up. It is no different than the guy on a football field that gets all crazy after he sacks the QB when his team is down by 3 TDs in the fourth quarter. If you hit a home run in a big moment go ahead and celebrate, but your celebration should be about what you did and it shouldn't be directed at the opposing pitcher. I like how the Angels celebrate after a walk off hit, because it is about the accomplishment and not about the opposing team. So you side with guys like Harper and Big Papi, I choose not too.

You're making assumptions and statements that are contradictory to my previous posts.

#calmdowndude

Although I don't have a working flipometer, it seems pretty much the same to me every time. And I don't think it's the bat flip alone that irks anyone. It's when it's combined with the stare downs and gum flapping that belongs on a WWE thread and not a MLB thread. Or at a circus maybe. Just after you empty your seltzer bottle or your confetti bucket.

Calhoun doesn't flip the bat when he swings and misses.

Anyhow, are staredowns a problem in the MLB?

If a staredown causes a disruption in the game then it gets excessive but looking into an opponents eyes can give you a mental advantage. Again, everyone is different. In other sports, players talk mad shit to each other, bump one another and more. I laugh at golf when players get pissy at a noise. 

Players don't have to show emotion in sports if they prefer not to. But why do so many fans and players get so offended when it's done?

Let's leave golf and golfing out of the sports forum. Once again I don't think anyone is all that bothered by a display of emotion. I just think directing your outburst toward the other team or celebrating your individual achievements while the outcome of the game is still in question is pretty amateurish.