• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Montana Pro's

Believe it or not a Grizzly does hunt and is damn good at it. My grandfather had a friend that was a very experienced hunter that went out for deer but found bear tracks. He decided to follow them and didn't realize until it was too late that a Grizzly had backtracked on him. He turns to find this 7' Griz on his hindquarters and with one swing of his paw removed the top of his skull. He laid in the dirt unconscious for a couple hours then got up and stumbled back to his truck, then drove to the hospital and told the doctor and nurses his encounter before he died. 

Like in the movie The Revenant, you can't put enough room between you and a Grizzly if their cubs are around. When I was about 7 I went fishing with my dad, brothers and grandfather in Montana where we saw a brown bear and cubs across the river. We gave them all the time they needed to leave the area before anyone got out their fishing gear. My grandfather strapped up his pistol but he knew it wouldn't stop any bear that was intent on a mauling someone but a loud sound might convince a brown to leave without a fight. 

What I remember most of that trip was catching a fish with my bare hands. I was straggling behind the group, I didn't have a pole, and saw this trout in a small pool off from the main river. I stood in the inlet so it couldn't get out and kept at it until I finally grabbed it with my bare hands. I didn't even fall in like Redford in Jerimiah Johnson.

It took me a while to catch up with the group, taking time stopping to dip the trout in the water so it wouldn't die. I show my grandfather and he gets a big grin and puts it in his kreel with fish big enough to eat mine but to Granpa it was the catch of the day. My Dad suddenly realized he left a 7 year old wandering in the woods alone and after that I had to stick by his side the rest of the way. 

Some of my favorite memories were fishing with my grandfather. taking late afternoon trips where you eat dinner in the woods and fish until sundown that can be 10 o'clock at night. Then the drive home in the back of the pickup underneath wool blankets because we were soaked to our knees from wading in the river. Hot chocolate was always ready when we got in and cleaned out our catch, no one found a bed before midnight. Good times.

Edited by notti

I'm getting tired of having to send inappropriate Christmas cards every year, but fine. But you would be the last one. So nobody else go get eaten by a bear just cause you think you're gonna get a card.

it would almost make up for the missing jaw, half a bose and one eye gone to have someone help me open the envelope on december 16 that says "bear-ry christmas"

Cool story blarg. Sounds like a cool childhood. I never got to don anything like that but as i get older its becoming more and more appealing. Im googling yellowstone and where to see wildlife, camping, etc. Cooking fresh caught fish out there sounds pretty amazing.

Figured this would be a good thread for this question, anyone familiar with yellowstone (as in have been there)? Im reading up on making a trip there, not sure if its more montana or wyoming though.

Lamar vally, hayden valley? Im reading thats the best spot to see wolves and bears. Anyone have any experience?

it's worth noting that there's a small private area in the park known as Jellystone. It seems quaint, but because of the bears, it's a terrible place to have a picnic. There's also a ranger there, but he's pretty inept.

Don't try to hire an independent contractor there unless he's registered with the Secretary of State. 

More like don't hire an independent contractor there if your scheduled finish time isn't whenever. My Dad, when he first moved back to Montana forgot the pacing there is really less rushed than he was used to. He ordered fence rails in April, figuring he would get them set by May. When August rolled around he was fuming mad and the fence post guy couldn't understand the rush. he ended up getting them in just before the first snowfall in November. At least it wasn't hot out.

Believe it or not a Grizzly does hunt and is damn good at it. My grandfather had a friend that was a very experienced hunter that went out for deer but found bear tracks. He decided to follow them and didn't realize until it was too late that a Grizzly had backtracked on him. He turns to find this 7' Griz on his hindquarters and with one swing of his paw removed the top of his skull. He laid in the dirt unconscious for a couple hours then got up and stumbled back to his truck, then drove to the hospital and told the doctor and nurses his encounter before he died. 

Like in the movie The Revenant, you can't put enough room between you and a Grizzly if their cubs are around. When I was about 7 I went fishing with my dad, brothers and grandfather in Montana where we saw a brown bear and cubs across the river. We gave them all the time they needed to leave the area before anyone got out their fishing gear. My grandfather strapped up his pistol but he knew it wouldn't stop any bear that was intent on a mauling someone but a loud sound might convince a brown to leave without a fight. 

What I remember most of that trip was catching a fish with my bare hands. I was straggling behind the group, I didn't have a pole, and saw this trout in a small pool off from the main river. I stood in the inlet so it couldn't get out and kept at it until I finally grabbed it with my bare hands. I didn't even fall in like Redford in Jerimiah Johnson.

It took me a while to catch up with the group, taking time stopping to dip the trout in the water so it wouldn't die. I show my grandfather and he gets a big grin and puts it in his kreel with fish big enough to eat mine but to Granpa it was the catch of the day. My Dad suddenly realized he left a 7 year old wandering in the woods alone and after that I had to stick by his side the rest of the way. 

Some of my favorite memories were fishing with my grandfather. taking late afternoon trips where you eat dinner in the woods and fish until sundown that can be 10 o'clock at night. Then the drive home in the back of the pickup underneath wool blankets because we were soaked to our knees from wading in the river. Hot chocolate was always ready when we got in and cleaned out our catch, no one found a bed before midnight. Good times.

When I was stationed in Alaska one of the old civilians who worked on the base shot a black tail and a brown bear almost literally ran over the top of him to get that deer as soon as it fell. He said he had no idea there was a 7 foot brown bear anywhere near.

For those who might care it was explained to me this way....within 200 miles of the coast they are coastal brown bears, inland are grizzlies, and on Kodiak island they are Kodiaks. the Kodiaks are largest followed by browns then grizzlies.

I really enjoyed my time in Montana, except Taco Johns

It was a couple hours from Bozeman to Livingston  (cool little places with lots of bars, good restaurants)

it was a couple more hours to the entrance to yellowstone, which had this boiling river thing - hot water mixed into the cold river for a little party

lots of other nature to see within 5 hours from start to finish

plane tickets from LAX in a few weeks seemed RT $220, cheaper than the BS Tulsa -> Houston ticket I just bought

girls were white, not fat yet somehow not really hot - strange, maybe they have poor makeup skills or just didnt care as mucht

the people overall were super friendly, it was a pleasure to be around them

Id definetly go back

I think Nother nailed it, the girls are country stock and not your Playboy chick straddling a hay bail hot. They are not as high strung as city girls, not as grossly made up as Southern girls with the big hair and make up obsession. For the most part pretty but not many head turners.

I think it's fair to say that if these gals lived in the city, and did all the city things like gym, style etc - they would be the same

Difference was these girls were more down to earth

Sad part is when you say you are from LA, they seem envious. Shame - LA sucks.....