• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Montana Pro's

AngelsMT, others

Im visiting a customer in Belgrade next Thurs, and not flying out until Sunday.  Theres a customer in Billings I COULD visit, but only if Billings > Belgrade.

I have to work 4 hrs a day Weds, Thurs, Fri on a computer, flying Sunday AM at like 8 or something.

Where to go?  too broad a question?

alcohol is a must

Belgrade is actually part of a larger city of Bozeman. I was born there but only went back twice. It is just east of the Rockies entering the Plains. Kind of a dull place, even being a college city. Not much trouble to get into, not much fun either unless they did some work on it the last 5 years.

Billings is the largest city in Montana. More of a transport hub and you can find some pretty hard ass company there, people that have been elbow deep in dirt and grease their whole life. Research is your friend to stay out of the wrong areas. The right areas are pretty upscale with food fares and such.

Again, haven't been back there in 5 or more years, I'm more of a West side guy and like the Rockies over the Plains.

Mtangelsfan frequents Billings and would be a good resource.

When you say up to their elbows in grease, whats the major industry in that region blarg? And when you say rough areas, are these like high crime areas, or places where the locals dont like outsiders bars type places?

Asking out of curiosity. I have bever been anywhwre clise to the area and stuff like that interests me

When you say up to their elbows in grease, whats the major industry in that region blarg? And when you say rough areas, are these like high crime areas, or places where the locals dont like outsiders bars type places?

Asking out of curiosity. I have bever been anywhwre clise to the area and stuff like that interests me

Hard life blue collar workers in a transportation hub. Think of a major rail complex added with trucking and every grease monkey fighting for hours mixed in with cowboys moving livestock. Yee-haw. It's become gentrified in some areas and in others they are still driving late 70's pickup, not because they are cool but because that was the last new truck they bought. 

That's why I say, research so you don't end up at the pure locals bar. They are bigger hard asses than any biker bar without all the faux Nazi gear and tats.

My dad tells a story of working the Wheat harvest back in the 50's where you starting in Montana and worked across and down to Kansas. Along the way their group would hit a bar or two in the towns or cities they worked through. Oft times they were despised for taking jobs away from locals but the fact was you had to start at the trail head and work your way to the end and the only new hires was when someone dropped out.

They hit this one horse town and stopped into the bar where the locals gave them the look that maybe they may just take one of those harvest jobs should one of the crew happened to not be able to wake up for his shift. My dad was working with his high school friend and they felt the bar get really small around them and some harsh talk going on about how Montanans were not really cowboys and such.

My dad was a golden glove boxer in high school and his friend was a big kid around 6'2" (big at that time) and he turns on his his stool and says "I hear you guys talking and I'm telling you I can whip any man in this bar and if I can't, Bob, he can." After a pause he says, "I can't so have at 'em Bob." and gave his friend a shove. This group wasn't buying the brag so a bar fight like out of a western starts and there are fists flying everywhere, Bob and Dad are the fight of their life and what they really proved that night is once there was an opening they could outrun anyone in that shit for nothing bar.

Can you run fast? If not I would say be careful about taking in to much local color in Billings.

A former boss bought a house in Victor to retire in. He said that the first time that they hit town, people were staring at him because he was the darkest person in the cafe. He is Italian.

Not sure if you are interested but Bozeman has a pretty cool dinosaur museum.

Missoula is a big college town so drinking is their specialty. You'll want to hang in old Town which is where you would enter on the 90 from Bozeman. Definitely hit the Double Front Chicken (slow but damn good fried chicken) on Alder St to fortify you on the way to the Montgomery Distillery, then Kettle House brewery, Draught Works then Imagination Brewery.

That's whole upper Missoula area off the 93 is covered with restaurants and bars and if you get bored then pull out a fishing pole and do the Bitterroot or Missouri.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had some good times in Montana. Wakeboarding on Flathead Lake, white water rafting in Glacier National Park (where they filmed The River Wild) and of course drinking. I remember picking up the tab for my group at a bar out there. When she told me the total I thought she was only talking about my drinks. Then when she told me it was for everyone's drinks I had serious thoughts of moving to Montana.