• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Car Sound System Pros

So we're wanting to upgrade the sound system in our 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe. We don't need anything too fancy or expensive, just a better quality of sound than the current OEM speaker system we have now.

Some people online are saying this could cost $1,000 or more. We definitely don't want to spend anything close to that. Could it be as simple as buying $50 speakers on Amazon and installing them myself?

Never done anything like this before, so any advice would be much appreciated.

The problem with just getting new speakers is if the current stereo unit in the car doesn't have the power to get good sound out of them it won't matter.

If you can put a new head unit in without major modifications that is probably what you need to do to go with the new speakers.  I really like Klipsch speakers.  Just figure out what you want in your price range.

For the head unit it is usually better to have someone else install it but they are not very hard to install as long as the mounting is the same.  You have to buy a separate wire harness to go with it that if I remember right only costs like 30-40 dollars that makes the wiring pretty straightforward.

So that does 20 watts per channel.  Keep that in mind when you get speakers, they will usually list a max RMS, going higher is fine but if the only difference is cost is a higher RMS tolerance then go cheaper.

I don't know what size speaker you need so these are just examples but something like this would probably be sufficient.  There is no real reason to go crazy on speakers since your head unit is not very powerful or high end.

http://www.amazon.com/JVC-CS-J620-2-Way-Coaxial-Speakers/dp/B00LMGE9JY/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1457993410&sr=8-8&keywords=car+speakers

These would probably have a cleaner sound http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-TS-A6965R-Car-Speaker-Pair/dp/B00A0LXRL8/ref=pd_sim_422_3?ie=UTF8&dpID=51%2Bb-ipo2wL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=021JYHPT5FCEBTZPJP0V

Edited by nate

I've installed about 5 sound systems in the various cars I've owned. Head units, speakers, subs, amps.

Best bet IMO is to check out Crutchfield. They will make sure the speaker fits in your car (doors or below the rear window), they provide easy install harnesses, and they provide warranties. Even if you're not a customer, you can just go on customer service, and ask them questions live. They've always been friendly and have been able to walk me through any problems I've had.

Seeing as how you already bought a head unit, which to me is a sorta crappy one (sorry), it means you're not looking for the kind of sound/experience I typically go for. I don't buy anything but touch-screen head units anymore, just because the technology has caught up, and they're SO much easier to navigate.Head unit ($200) and speakers ($150) can really make a world of difference in sound.

I've dealt with Pioneer, passed on them, and my Kenwood head unit has been working out great. I use Kicker 3 way speakers and a 12" Kicker sub. They are cheaper, but really sound good. even better than Sony, Pioneer, or other expensive brands.

Finding Kicker speakers for around $50 a pair to replace your current speakers are probably the solution. I think Crutchfield will be able to not only provide you the speakers, but the wiring harnesses custom designed for your car to make this a quick install. Will probably have to pull off the interior door panels though. I would google "Hyundai Santa Fe door speaker installation" to make sure you know where all the door panel clips and screws are so you can do it without screwing anything up.

I think for $150 you could get 4 new Kicker speakers, with the easy connect wiring harnesses, and really make the sound system much better. Let Crutchfield know which head unit you bought, and they'll let you know which speakers would be appropriate for purchase.

You should fix the power windows first.

Ha, good memory. The problem fixed itself after a couple days. I think once the snow/water had dried off, it went back to normal.

Thanks, Nate and CaliAngel. This is all really helpful information.

Big fan of Crutchfield as well.  When I purchased a head unit and speakers from them 5-6 years back, they sent me not only the harness for the install but an installation guide with pictures of each major step along the way.  I had never done anything like that before and it made it much simpler.