• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Freese Signs With Pirates 1 Year 3 Million

SigBaby

I don't know. But what I do know is I wouldn't of traded Gott for Escobar.

The Escobar-Gott trade was actually a good one for us. Outside of a few elite relievers (Wade Davis, Street, Kimbrel) relievers fluctuate a huge amount and have a lot less value than a solid everyday player. Look at a familiar face in Mark Lowe- gives up the walk off bomb to Freese in the World Series, pitches horribly for the Angels for about a month, then churns out a fantastic season last year.

It's debatable, sure. We don't know because he hasn't played there yet. But Escobar did play shortstop, which is a tougher position than 2nd. We also do know Escobar probably can't be any worse than Giavotella at 2nd, because Giavotella was the worst in the league.

We have a year of proof that Escobar can't play third. Personally, I would rather put Escobar at second and see what he could do.

We also know Cowart can play a respectable defensive third base.

If it was up to me I would put Cowart at third and Escobar at 2nd.

Cowart is not getting any chance at all in spring training. he is getting 1 AB once a week. 2 AB if he's lucky.

the only thing that surprises me about this signing is Freese going back to the National League.

Freese IMO is a defensive liability and is probably better off in the AL where he can be used as a DH/3B in some sort of platoon.

I didn't think Freese (defensive liability, slow afoot, not very versatile) would command much on the open market and he didn't - so he signs a deal mid-ST that is fairly minimal for an established MLB ballplayer........but that's all anyone would pay for him. I don't think another year of Freese with the Halos at about one-fifth of his prior annual salary would have played well for anyone.........

Having said that, and not having been much of a fan of Freese (I don't dis-like him -- actually I wish him well with the Pirates) because I wasn't impressed with his ballplaying skills......poor defense, bad base-runner and SLOW.

Good luck to him with the Pirates......it will be interesting to see how many ABs he gets in 2016 if he stays on the Priates roster all season - I'm thinking 150-200.

If you sign Freese, even at $3 mil, you've committed to the Him at 3rd and Escobar at 2nd with Pennington as the late inning defensive caddy. Doing that and blocking Cowart and Kubitza and making Gia a non-factor paints you into another 30 something unathletic box packed full of RH bats that are nothing special. If this is truly the lost season so many assume it is it makes no sense to bring Freese back and not give anyone a chance to prove himself for 2017 and beyond.

If you sign Freese, even at $3 mil, you've committed to the Him at 3rd and Escobar at 2nd with Pennington as the late inning defensive caddy. Doing that and blocking Cowart and Kubitza and making Gia a non-factor paints you into another 30 something unathletic box packed full of RH bats that are nothing special. If this is truly the lost season so many assume it is it makes no sense to bring Freese back and not give anyone a chance to prove himself for 2017 and beyond.

1 yr 3 million is nothing. cowart and kubitza are better off spending more time in Salt Lake.

We've committed to Escobar at 3rd so what's the difference?

There won't be room on the 25 man roster for either Cowart or Kubitza to start the season regardless of Freese. There is a platoon at both C and LF. Pennington is the utility infielder capable of 2B, 3B and SS. There's only one spot left for a position player and my guess is that goes to Choi.

Yunel Escobar 3b-2b
2 years/$13M (2015-16), plus 2017 club option

• 2 years/$13M (2015-16), plus 2017 club option
    • signed extension with Tampa Bay 4/5/14
    • 15:$5M, 16:$7M, 17:$7M club option ($1M buyout)
    • acquired by Oakland in trade from Tampa Bay 1/10/15
    • acquired by Washington in trade from Oakland 1/14/15
    • acquired by LA Angels in trade from Washington 12/10/15 (Nationals pay Angels about $1.5M in the deal)

Trevor Gott rhp
1 year (2015)

• 1 year (2015)
    • contract selected by LA Angels 6/13/15
    • acquired by Washington in trade from LA Angels 12/10/15
  • acquired by LA Angels in trade from San Diego 7/19/14
  • drafted by San Diego 2013 (6-178) (Kentucky)
  • $0.2M signing bonus ($0.2429M slot)
  • ML service: 0.114

We've committed to Escobar at 3rd so what's the difference?

The difference is that he's more in line with what the team was lacking last year, he's more of a tradeworthy commodity if things fall apart and now they have at least some cash to plug whatever emerges as the biggest hole.

the only thing that surprises me about this signing is Freese going back to the National League.

Freese IMO is a defensive liability and is probably better off in the AL where he can be used as a DH/3B in some sort of platoon.

I always assumed he would go back to the NL where his bat will look better than it is and he stands a chance of rebuilding some value.