• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Red Sox sign Murphy

Oz27

Minor league deal with an invite to spring training. Seemed inevitable somebody would pick him up in such a way. Not the end of the world, I guess, but I think he could have been pretty useful for us given he was that cheap.

That is a team friendly deal, but there is no way to know that Murphy was willing to sign with the Angels for the same deal.

Murphy wasn't very good.  Yet Joyce sucked so bad it made him seem serviceable.  

He had 1329 pa over the last 3 years for a whopping -0.5 WAR. He's a poor defender and the best he was likely to do was to give us a .320 obp vs. RHers with below average defense and no power.  Nava and Gentry both have more upside because of their obp capabilities and their generally solid defense.  Gentry brings speed.  Nava brings what could be the best obp on the team outside of Trout.  

That's not saying much is some ways, but I think we are going to be pleasantly surprised with the current platoon.  

Murphy wasn't very good.  Yet Joyce sucked so bad it made him seem serviceable.  

He had 1329 pa over the last 3 years for a whopping -0.5 WAR. He's a poor defender and the best he was likely to do was to give us a .320 obp vs. RHers with below average defense and no power.  Nava and Gentry both have more upside because of their obp capabilities and their generally solid defense.  Gentry brings speed.  Nava brings what could be the best obp on the team outside of Trout.  

That's not saying much is some ways, but I think we are going to be pleasantly surprised with the current platoon.  

True Doc,

I liked how the Org traded for him to be a part of a platoon. But, then Sven is sending him up to hit vs lefties and he came through as a pinch hitter a few times and even had a walk-off vs the A's...For what we currently have on the roster as a possible left handed bat off the bench/4-5th OF though and for the price (if he agreed to it of course) I might have brought him back. 

Edited by SlappyUtilityGuy