• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Can this trend be reversed? SJWs

Adam

14 minutes ago, mtangelsfan said:

Not sure that this qualifies as typical SJW shenanigans:

"Arambula was arrested on suspicion of "willful cruelty to a child," a misdemeanor. He said he spanked his daughter on the buttocks. But the police chief said other evidence led to Arambula's arrest.

"The injury in this case is not on the buttocks," Fresno Police Chief Jerry Dyer said.

Police plan to send the case to the district attorney next week."

31 minutes ago, the dude abides said:

Not sure that this qualifies as typical SJW shenanigans:

"Arambula was arrested on suspicion of "willful cruelty to a child," a misdemeanor. He said he spanked his daughter on the buttocks. But the police chief said other evidence led to Arambula's arrest.

"The injury in this case is not on the buttocks," Fresno Police Chief Jerry Dyer said.

Police plan to send the case to the district attorney next week."

I guess we will see.  If we get to the point where giving a kid a spanking on the ass is abuse...............................

11 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

Depends on the kids I guess. I’ve never laid a hand on any of my girls and would never let anyone else do it either and they’re all perfect angels

You have girls that all respond the same to how you run your house. Lucky you. What would your position be if one was an insufferable bitch and you used the same tactics? 

My wife has been a teacher for a long time. She has to use a variety of teaching tools to reach all of the kids, not just those that read a book and understand. The same goes with parenting, not all kids respond the same to the same directives given the same way. 

38 minutes ago, Blarg said:

You have girls that all respond the same to how you run your house. Lucky you. What would your position be if one was an insufferable bitch and you used the same tactics? 

My wife has been a teacher for a long time. She has to use a variety of teaching tools to reach all of the kids, not just those that read a book and understand. The same goes with parenting, not all kids respond the same to the same directives given the same way. 

Maybe I should have lead my post by saying it depends on the kids

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/moral-landscapes/201309/research-spanking-it-s-bad-all-kids

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/what-science-says-and-doesn-t-about-spanking/

Still, a number of individual studies have found associations between spanking and negative outcomes, even after controlling for preexisting child behavior. So Gershoff says that in spite of the lingering controversy, the safest approach parents can take is not to spank their kids. “Studies continue to find that spanking predicts negative behavior changes—there are no studies showing that kids improve,” she says. And although Ferguson is not convinced that spanking is categorically bad, he is “certainly not an advocate of spanking.” Furthermore, there is a worrying body of research suggesting that parents who spank will later use harsher forms of punishment. “If spanking is not working, and spanking is all the parents are doing, then they’re going to escalate,” Gershoff says.

I'm not a parent (yet), so my opinion isn't really worth anything. And I don't judge anyone who spanks their kids (unless they do it out of anger). Just based on my research, it doesn't seem like the most effective form of punishment, and it may even have some long-term harmful effects.

11 minutes ago, Taylor said:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/moral-landscapes/201309/research-spanking-it-s-bad-all-kids

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/what-science-says-and-doesn-t-about-spanking/

I'm not a parent (yet), so my opinion isn't really worth anything. And I don't judge anyone who spanks their kids (unless they do it out of anger). Just based on my research, it doesn't seem like the most effective form of punishment, and it may even have some long-term harmful effects.

I just don't see how these studies could even come close to making some kind of conclusion.

2 hours ago, mtangelsfan said:

I just don't see how these studies could even come close to making some kind of conclusion.

Spanking isn't the only method out there for punishing your children, and there seems to be some evidence pointing toward it being harmful to kids. I'd rather avoid it and find other punishments that don't have this kind of baggage attached.

But again, I haven't dealt with being a parent and the frustration of your kid making the same poor decision over and over again. So my opinions may change when I become a dad.

I give a simple swat on the butt with my two boys (third one is only a year and a half old). Hard enough to hopefully get the message across but not anything where it would be excessive. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

I do find it hypocritical of myself when I spank them for hitting each other though. 

"Don't hit each other!" *swat*

I think there are occasions when something stronger than a timeout (where in the world was that option when I was growing up?!?) is necessary. I spanked my daughter once and it helped quite a bit. Also, the threat of a spanking was effective as well. 

Ive had quite a few kids pass through my classes that would have benefitted greatly from something stronger than a timeout in their earlier years.

its not effective or necessary for every kid or every situation, but it certainly should be an available option.