• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Can this trend be reversed? SJWs

Adam

On 2/2/2017 at 2:10 PM, Geoff said:

It was that you quickly called them idiots.  Then went on to refer to the other side as an asshole, then an attention whore.  Then gave Cal some cover by floating the idea that the rioters may not have been Cal students. 

The individuals that attacked people and destroyed property ARE idiots and their actions are unacceptable. I'm not giving Cal cover here that is undue, nor does it diminish the idiocy of the aggressors if they are Berkeley students. He is an asshole as far as I am concerned and he's a massive attention whore. The fact that stuff like this plays into his hands 

On 2/2/2017 at 2:10 PM, Geoff said:

You did mention that it was unacceptable.  But I wasn't sure if you were referring to the looting, assaults and rioting as much as that they were potentially feeding into the Milo narrative of them.

Soooooo...

You weren't sure what I was referring to but you were sure enough to make a declarative statement about what was most concerning to me? Neato.

On 2/2/2017 at 7:20 AM, Geoff said:

Throwing rocks at police.  Setting fires.  Attacking people in cars.  Looting and vandalizing local businesses.  Trying to eliminate the free speech of others.  What a progressive, forward thinking place Cal is.  

Wicked is 100% spot on with his response to this. I completely understand your reluctance to consider it as being true, though.

23 hours ago, mtangelsfan said:

I think you are really quick to lay the blame anywhere else than at the University.  I think that argument is similar to the one that Trump supporters use when they argue that the protesters are paid and not really invested in the cause.

I think there should be some kind of consequence for this action.  Although I do not agree with Trump's idea.

I think that given the circumstances, the university was correct to cancel the event. Look, they intended on having him speak. He was already on the premises. The university had denied appeals to have the event cancelled before it even happened, with the concern being for the dude's right to speak. We've all seen the video of what happened. It was clearly not a good situation and the decision to cancel the event in the name of public safety is a proper one, IMO. I am certain that plenty of people in the Cal community were protesting, but I honestly think it's very possible that the people that caused the damage and stormed onto campus like that were not students. Berkeley is a focal point for crap like this. Remember the tree sitters? Not students. Remember Code Pink? Not students. These jackasses the other night? Probably not students but it's sure possible

Furthermore, the President tweeting that he'd withhold funds because of this event? Total bullcrap. He's going to punish some of the hardest working, brightest students around that are doing nothing but busting their ass on the basis of the actions of some jackass protesters beyond the university's control? Classy. I bet if this happened at Harvard, he wouldn't have threatened to pull federal funding (yes, they receive plenty of federal funding). It's because: Berkeley. No tweets from him when protesters shut down the UC Davis event? Why? BECUZ BERKLEEEEEY. It's a populist appeal to everything that many on the right think about Berkeley without actually know jack s about most of the actual work being done there. Why? Because Berkeley.

18 hours ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

I'd like to see these "anarchists" try this shit in Texas.

Sooner or later someone is going to get shot if this continues.

That's already happened. I'm surprised you haven't received a fw:fw:fw:fw: email notification about it yet. Some Milo loving dude put a cap into the abdomen of an anarchy loving dude at the University of Washington. Look it up, man.

15 hours ago, mtangelsfan said:

Typical Cal.  Their biggest concern is that the protest was ruined.  They don't care that dissenting ideas were forced out.

Great post. 10/10. Would read again.

However, if you had actually clicked on the link that was provided, you'd have read this IMMEDIALTEY following what was copied and pasted here:

"UC Berkeley officials and UCPD went to extraordinary lengths to plan for this event, working closely with the Berkeley College Republicans and putting the appropriate resources in place to maintain security. Officials were in contact with other university campuses where Yiannopoulos had been asked to speak, and they paid close attention to lessons learned. Dozens of additional police officers were on duty for Wednesday’s scheduled event, and multiple methods of crowd control were in place. Ultimately, and unfortunately, however, it was impossible to maintain order given the level of threat, disruption and organized violence.

Campus officials added that they regret that the threats and unlawful actions of a few have interfered with the exercise of First Amendment rights on a campus that is proud of its history and legacy as the home of the Free Speech Movement.

In an earlier message to the Berkeley campus community, Chancellor Nicholas Dirks made it clear that while Yiannopoulos’ views, tactics and rhetoric are profoundly contrary to those of the campus, UC Berkeley is bound by the Constitution, the law and the university’s values and  Principles of Community, which include the enabling of free expression across the full spectrum of opinion and perspective."

You made an assumption based on "Typical Cal."

So much for THE PLEDGE, eh?

11 minutes ago, RallyMo said:

I think that given the circumstances, the university was correct to cancel the event. Look, they intended on having him speak. He was already on the premises. The university had denied appeals to have the event cancelled before it even happened, with the concern being for the dude's right to speak. We've all seen the video of what happened. It was clearly not a good situation and the decision to cancel the event in the name of public safety is a proper one, IMO. I am certain that plenty of people in the Cal community were protesting, but I honestly think it's very possible that the people that caused the damage and stormed onto campus like that were not students. Berkeley is a focal point for crap like this. Remember the tree sitters? Not students. Remember Code Pink? Not students. These jackasses the other night? Probably not students but it's sure possible

Furthermore, the President tweeting that he'd withhold funds because of this event? Total bullcrap. He's going to punish some of the hardest working, brightest students around that are doing nothing but busting their ass on the basis of the actions of some jackass protesters beyond the university's control? Classy. I bet if this happened at Harvard, he wouldn't have threatened to pull federal funding (yes, they receive plenty of federal funding). It's because: Berkeley. No tweets from him when protesters shut down the UC Davis event? Why? BECUZ BERKLEEEEEY. It's a populist appeal to everything that many on the right think about Berkeley without actually know jack s about most of the actual work being done there. Why? Because Berkeley.

I feel like you are avoiding my point.  The protest itself was meant to shut down dissent.

2 minutes ago, RallyMo said:

Great post. 10/10. Would read again.

However, if you had actually clicked on the link that was provided, you'd have read this IMMEDIALTEY following what was copied and pasted here:

"UC Berkeley officials and UCPD went to extraordinary lengths to plan for this event, working closely with the Berkeley College Republicans and putting the appropriate resources in place to maintain security. Officials were in contact with other university campuses where Yiannopoulos had been asked to speak, and they paid close attention to lessons learned. Dozens of additional police officers were on duty for Wednesday’s scheduled event, and multiple methods of crowd control were in place. Ultimately, and unfortunately, however, it was impossible to maintain order given the level of threat, disruption and organized violence.

Campus officials added that they regret that the threats and unlawful actions of a few have interfered with the exercise of First Amendment rights on a campus that is proud of its history and legacy as the home of the Free Speech Movement.

In an earlier message to the Berkeley campus community, Chancellor Nicholas Dirks made it clear that while Yiannopoulos’ views, tactics and rhetoric are profoundly contrary to those of the campus, UC Berkeley is bound by the Constitution, the law and the university’s values and  Principles of Community, which include the enabling of free expression across the full spectrum of opinion and perspective."

You made an assumption based on "Typical Cal."

So much for THE PLEDGE, eh?

Please.  I am discussing a current topic.

1 minute ago, mtangelsfan said:

See the post from wicked I was responding to.

Oh, the one where you came to the conclusion that they just didn't give a crap about him not being able to speak?

I don't think that they express a greater level of regret for any single aspect of what happened. That's all part of the same deal.

Here's the actual message from the chancellor, which is COMPLETELY freaking reasonable:

http://news.berkeley.edu/2017/02/02/campus-condemns-violence-defends-free-speech/

UC Berkeley Chancellor Nicholas Dirks sent out this message today in response to the events of last night:

UC Berkeley condemns in the strongest possible terms the actions of individuals who invaded the campus, infiltrated a crowd of peaceful students and used violent tactics to close down the event. We deeply regret that the violence unleashed by this group undermined the First Amendment rights of the speaker as well as those who came to lawfully assemble and protest his presence.

The university went to extraordinary lengths to facilitate planning and preparation for this event, working in close concert with the Berkeley College Republicans. Dozens of police officers were brought in from UC campuses across the state. Numerous crowd-control measures were put in place. But, we could not plan for the unprecedented. Last night the Berkeley campus was invaded by more than 100 armed individuals clad all in black who utilized paramilitary tactics to engage in violent, destructive behavior designed to shut the event down. At that point the University of California Police Department concluded that the speaker had to be evacuated from campus for his own safety, thereby bringing the event to an end.

For the campus police, the primary objective is always the safety and well-being of our students and the public. That is what informs their strategies and tactics. In that context we are relieved that, as of now, there have been no reports of serious injuries.

We are proud of our history and legacy as the home of the Free Speech Movement. While we have made clear our belief that the inflaming rhetoric and provocations of Mr. Yiannopoulos were in marked opposition to the basic values of the university, we respected his right to come to campus and speak once he was invited to do so by a legitimate student group. The violence last night was an attack on the fundamental values of the university, which stands for and helps to maintain and nurture open inquiry and an inclusive civil society, the bedrock of a genuinely democratic nation. We are now, and will remain in the future, completely committed to free speech as essential to our educational mission and a vital component of our identity at UC Berkeley.

@RallyMo

Are you aware of the Mayor of Berkeley's tweets?

This was a little before he was supposed to speak:

He's backpedaling faster than a cartoon character now, and rumors are swirling that 1 - He told the police to stand down amid the protests/riots, and 2 - is under FBI investigation for incitement.

1 hour ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

@RallyMo

Are you aware of the Mayor of Berkeley's tweets?

This was a little before he was supposed to speak:

He's backpedaling faster than a cartoon character now, and rumors are swirling that 1 - He told the police to stand down amid the protests/riots, and 2 - is under FBI investigation for incitement.

What you allow you encourage 

4 hours ago, Lawrence said:

Numerous crowd-control measures were put in place. But, we could not plan for the unprecedented.

Unprecedented? These anarchist assholes pull this crap every chance they get. The U.C. police can eat a fat one. Enjoy the lawsuits

What I don't get is, they have violence, and make 0 arrests.

Meanwhile in NYU, they have violence and make 11 arrests. 

Makes UC police look either complacent or incompetent.

9 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

What I don't get is, they have violence, and make 0 arrests.

Meanwhile in NYU, they have violence and make 11 arrests. 

Makes UC police look either complacent or incompetent.

I would not be surprised if they were told to stand down