• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Can this trend be reversed? SJWs

Adam

*sigh*

if you keep raising the hourly pay, prices will continue to increase, too. The other people who’ll get squeezed in this is the middle class because their won’t increase at the same rate.

minimum wage is for entry level jobs. If you’re 47 and still getting minimum wage, you’re doing it wrong.

10 hours ago, Tank said:

minimum wage is for entry level jobs. If you’re 47 and still getting minimum wage, you’re doing it wrong.

There it is. I didn't think the most Republican thing I'd ever read on this forum would be posted by Tank, but there you go.

I love you man. But not everyone went to college or grew up with a solid understanding of economics or even how to make a living. Hell I'm 32 and I still make less than 30k a year. I can barely even support myself. Imagine if I were black and had kids to take care of.

I'm not saying I support the "across the board" minimum wage increase, but the idea behind it is fine. Hell, in most 1st world countries, the minimum wage is significantly higher than the US. Hell, in NH, it's Facking $7.25 an hour! Imagine starting off with that and working your way up to $10 an hour only to find out you still can't support yourself. In the town I live in, most places pay between $10-$12 an hour, which just isn't good enough. Yet rent increases.

There's a problem in the country and it needs to be fixed. At least the people looking at raising minimum wage have their heart in the right place.

11 hours ago, Tank said:

*sigh*

if you keep raising the hourly pay, prices will continue to increase, too. The other people who’ll get squeezed in this is the middle class because their won’t increase at the same rate.

I agree with this, in principle. But it's not like there's an infinite amount of well-paying jobs out there.

There aren't but there are better jobs out there with the chance for advancement that employers have trouble filling because of a lack of qualified candidates or because they can't find people who will put the work in.  I've got quite a few friends who have nothing beyond a high school diploma that support families in SoCal because they put the time in.  Many of these people are in blue collar positions and I know it was back breaking work early on with long hours but they've climbed their way up and now supervise people who do more of the grunt work.  Promotions at some of these companies are seniority based so by sticking around and being willing to work in another office or location you can move up and make more money.  If you're an able bodied adult making minimum wage I think that requires some self reflection because there are opportunities out there but as the saying goes nothing in life worth having comes easy.  If you can't do a job for whatever reason that's one thing but if you won't even try to better your situation then that's on you.  

1 hour ago, tdawg87 said:

I can barely even support myself. Imagine if I were black and had kids to take care of.

Then that would be some unfortunate, poor life choices. It's not the responsibility of government and society to bail you out for it. You can always learn a skill that pays more, it's never too late.

Go learn a trade,  get an apprenticeship as an electrician or something. They're in high demand and pay well.

22 minutes ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

Then that would be some unfortunate, poor life choices. It's not the responsibility of government and society to bail you out for it. You can always learn a skill that pays more, it's never too late.

Go learn a trade,  get an apprenticeship as an electrician or something. They're in high demand and pay well.

So a "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" approach. Hmm, reminds me of a certain congressperson.

1 hour ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

Then that would be some unfortunate, poor life choices.

This is a convenient position to have, because it means needy and impoverished people are only there because they made bad decisions.

White/black thinking is much more convenient than nuanced thinking.

30 minutes ago, Taylor said:

This is a convenient position to have, because it means needy and impoverished people are only there because they made bad decisions.

White/black thinking is much more convenient than nuanced thinking.

I'm not arguing that it can be more difficult depending on your situation. But there are opportunities for everyone, period. You just have to put in the work.

1 hour ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

I'm not arguing that it can be more difficult depending on your situation. But there are opportunities for everyone, period. You just have to put in the work.

This is where the idea of (gasp) privilege comes in.

Some people have way more opportunities than others. I grew up as a white male in an upper middle class household. My parents are still married and were/are very supportive of their kids' aspirations. I had the ability to become whatever I wanted to be. That doesn't mean I didn't have to work hard, but I do recognize that someone who grew up in a poor urban area without a father will have to work much, much harder than I did to get to my same position.

1 minute ago, Taylor said:

Some people have way more opportunities than others. I grew up as a white male in an upper middle class household. My parents are still married and were/are very supportive of their kids' aspirations. I had the ability to become whatever I wanted to be. That doesn't mean I didn't have to work hard, but I do recognize that someone who grew up in a poor urban area without a father will have to work much, much harder than I did to get to my same position.

I too recognize that life isn't always fair. It doesn't mean the government is the answer. There are plenty of opportunities for even the poorest of the poor to make it in this country. The smart ones realize that welfare and government handouts oppress people more than help them.

3 hours ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

You know what isnt in demand, middle to older aged workers.  
Its really easy to say theres plenty of thus and so but who the hell wasnt to hire a 50 year old for anything critical at this point.  
In my field people would literally rather hire an idiot fresh out of school they can mold over someone with the experience who expects more over being just happy to find a job. 
General statements never capture the truth of it. 

7 minutes ago, Taylor said:

You have to deal the hand your dealt and no amount of government involvement is going to change the situation some people are born into.  With the odds stacked against them plenty of people have made something out of nothing while others use it as an excuse as to why they are where they are in life.  There's no denying plenty of of people were dealt a bad hand but at a point that's no longer a viable excuse.  We've seen time and time again that you can't just throw money at a problem and expect to fix it especially when it comes to things that kids or young adults aren't getting at home.  

6 minutes ago, Schildog said:

If it's said on AW, it must be true. All those economists labeling poverty a cycle, what a bunch of jackasses.

Poverty being a cycle (which it is) has nothing to do with what @Lhalo said.

ANY Poor person can make it in America IF they have the right attitude.