• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Nava/Gentry predictions for 2016?

Angel Oracle

Sosh will put Gia 2nd or maybe Gentry vs. LHers

Nava 2nd vs. RHers.  

If there is one thing I feel good about in terms of our LF platoon, it's Nava's obp.  I could see the combo of him and Gentry at .250/.340/.370 

Something that nets us 1.5 to 2.0 WAR.  

I think our opening day lineup is 

Escobar

Nava

Trout

Calhoun

Choi

Simmons

Perez

Gia

that's is um.....not too good.  

Wow....that makes me cry a little.

Personally, I think Gentry is garbage and I have serious doubts he even makes the team.

He's good as a 4th OF. Think about their main jobs...

1. Late inning defensive replacement - Gentry plays a good defensive OF at all 3 spots.

2. Pinch running - Gentry is quick and talented base thief.

3. Get a bunt down - Gentry is an excellent bunter.

4. Make contact - When all they need a pinch hitter to do is slap at the ball, Gebtry is your man.

Gentry is perfect as a 4th OF.

My projection? They will stink and people will say "if only we got a proper LF, then we would be so good". But given it will be one of many gaping holes on a pretty crappy team, it won't be the difference between us making the playoffs or not.

that's pretty much what the consensus opinion is on the angels. this thread is more about what type of production specifically from LF people think the platoon will generate. i think most are being exceptionally generous. most don't realize what "avg" major league production is. a slash line of 280/340/790 with 80-85 rbi is way over average. i'd be shocked if that happened and, as i said already, if it did then the platoon was an unmitigated success. the only area where that might be below avg production would be homeruns.

i think it's much more likely to be 250/315/?, than anything else. i'd consider that expected and if it tanks, then we're back in the joyce zone again and moreno should just sell the team because he's, at that point, just a well intentioned disaster as an owner.

that's pretty much what the consensus opinion is on the angels. this thread is more about what type of production specifically from LF people think the platoon will generate. i think most are being exceptionally generous. most don't realize what "avg" major league production is. a slash line of 280/340/790 with 80-85 rbi is way over average. i'd be shocked if that happened and, as i said already, if it did then the platoon was an unmitigated success. the only area where that might be below avg production would be homeruns.

i think it's much more likely to be 250/315/?, than anything else. i'd consider that expected and if it tanks, then we're back in the joyce zone again and moreno should just sell the team because he's, at that point, just a well intentioned disaster as an owner.

fangraphs projects the following:

Nava:  241 / 321 / 347 / 668 / 0.2WAR

Gentry: 240 / 296 / 314 / 609 / 0.2 WAR

Far below anything in this thread 

what am i, chopped liver?

aRQ337A_700b.jpg

Nava- .245/.315/.370, 0.8 WAR

Gentry- .230/.295/.340, 0.4 WAR

My guess is Eppler makes a move at the deadline for a LFer if the Angels are in it. I believe this platoon is meant for a stopgap of sorts for Eppler to evaluate the team and then make a move in July.

I agree with you, except I don't think the Angels will be buyers at the deadline. They'll be in that weird spot that makes it difficult to gauge. Just above .500, but also 4-5 games out.

That's why I think they'll stay internal and go with either Choi or Hinshaw later in the year.