• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Mike Scioscia/Analytics

Stradling

I still say that something happened shortly after Simmons was acquired. That added close to $9 million a season through his contract while only subtracting $9 million for 1 season from Aybar's contract.

After that, nada, zilch, zip!

immediately after the simmons trade we had no more tradeable assets.  That's what happened.  

Actually, I think they were gathering info etc etc.  Laid some foundation at the winter meetings but they were waiting to get the prelim season ticket sales numbers back.  Once those came back favorable, it's pretty much been crickets ever since.  

the offseason lacked an punch but the team is better than last year contingent on a few things, but those things are important in determining whether this team is going to be a contender or a dud.  

I am sure Eppler and his crew recognize the extremes of what this pitching staff could provide and maybe they want to get a longer look at it.  Will Richards bounce back?  Will Heaney become a true #2?  Can Skaggs develop into the #2/3 he's supposed to?  Who are Tropeano and Shoemaker going to be the next few years.  Will Morin and Bedrosian and perhaps a couple others become legit threats out of the pen?  All of the good and bad possibilities for those questions is probably about a coin flip.  

Is the team we have worth sinking another 20-30mil into?  I am not sure anyone knows the answer to that question at this point.  Personally, I would have preferred they take their shot by adding someone like Heyward who is young enough to have value on the open market even if the team doesn't perform as we hope.  The other route would have been to make some short term additions like Denard Span and bringing back Freese so if the pitching develops as we hope then you have enough in other areas to complement the team so you don't miss out on a playoff run.  

My worst case scenario isn't last place because at least at that point you know you've gotta make some more drastic moves.  It's doing what we did to get to 86 or 87 wins and just missing out again.  If we get to that level, my guess is that it will be the bullpen that is holding us back again.  I really hope that is not the case because I don't think I can stomach watching Salas etal turn 1 run deficits into blowouts.