• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Earthquake Thread

I did a search and found only one earthquake thread which was about a Pakistan quake in 13' so here goes..

I felt my first shake in many years this afternoon, wasn't sure, but had a good idea it was a quake and sure enough....there have been a series of them near Big Pine, which isn't far from me as the crow flies.

Mammoth getting ready to blow???

It's been talked about for a while now.

http://ktla.com/2016/02/16/magnitude-4-8-earthquake-strikes-in-eastern-sierra/

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/nc72592670#general_region

Edited by Homebrewer

I think the last time I was completely terrified by a quake was the '94 Northridge...I was 9 years old...now they don't scare me at all.

The last time a quake hit that was remotely memorable was about 4 years ago, I was at an apartment across from Cal State Fullerton trying to take a nap between classes, and when I felt it I was like "Enough already, I'm trying to sleep you asshole!" and just stayed where I was on the couch. I like how folks I know not from around here are legitimately scared of them, but really, if you live in the US and California, they've been building homes and engineering freeways the past 20 years to expect them, so they're pretty harmless.

I think if something were to blow, we'd know about it before it even happened. 

I think the last time I was completely terrified by a quake was the '94 Northridge...I was 9 years old...now they don't scare me at all.

The last time a quake hit that was remotely memorable was about 4 years ago, I was at an apartment across from Cal State Fullerton trying to take a nap between classes, and when I felt it I was like "Enough already, I'm trying to sleep you asshole!" and just stayed where I was on the couch. I like how folks I know not from around here are legitimately scared of them, but really, if you live in the US and California, they've been building homes and engineering freeways the past 20 years to expect them, so they're pretty harmless.

I think if something were to blow, we'd know about it before it even happened.

i remember the fullerton one. It was pretty minor...then again my chicks parents place had cracks in their home from it.

Youre a bit younger, if northridge is the last one you remember. The problem is we havent had a real one in forever. Seemed like in the 80s it was every few years. The big bear quake in 91 (?) Wss two on the same morning, and they were bad. It was far enough away though that most of the damage in oc/la wasNt bad. The whittier quake was bad.

We havent had a local 6 in probably 20 years or so. Thats scary..if you keep up on it, the rest of the "ring of fire" has gotten huge ones over the last twn years, but its skipped us..for how long though?

Read an interesting article recently about the Cascadia Subduction Zone:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cascadia_subduction_zone

It was saying while San Andreas Fault gets all the press, this one has the potential to amp the intensity even higher if it acts up:

"In 2009, some geologists predicted a 10% to 14% probability that the Cascadia Subduction Zone will produce an event of magnitude 9.0 or higher in the next 50 years.[20] In 2010, studies suggested that the risk could be as high as 37% for earthquakes of magnitude 8.0 or higher"

There was a pretty good shake on Easter a few years ago. Nothing like Northridge though.

Funny, this thread came up because I was talking with some friends about how we haven't had one In a while and how we have had "earthquake weather" lately.

Edited by Sully151

Went to school and then lived a few years after in Humboldt County. We had some doozies up there. (They still do.) One was big enough to drop a bridge on the 101. The Sylmar, and then the Landers quakes were the strongest ones I felt in So Cal, although it really depends on where you are in relation to the epicenter that makes the "feel".

I remember sitting on a friends boat in Newport when around a 5.0 hit the Newport-Whittier fault, and it was one you could hear and feel as it slipped...watched a sea-wall bend and sway like it was made of rubber. 

A-Ha! A quick LA Times search found this:

April 7 Quake Was Centered at Newport Dunes Lagoon

June 29, 1989

The earthquake that rattled the Newport Beach area April 7 was centered at the mouth of the lagoon at Newport Dunes Aquatic Park, according to revised estimates released Wednesday by Caltech. The lagoon, located on the channel leading from Newport Bay to Upper Newport Bay, is just north of East Coast Highway and is part of a marina and a recreation vehicle park. Caltech also slightly reduced its estimate of the earthquake's magnitude, from 4.6 to 4.5. Jim Compas, assistant dockmaster at the marina, said he was sitting in his office only a few yards from the epicenter when the sharp but brief quake struck at 1:07 p.m. "It kind of threw me, first north, then south," Compas said.

Further reading reminds me that there were a swarm of quakes that month in the LA basin/OC areas..

My wife has lived in SoCal since about 2009,

I asked her recently if she has felt an earthquake and she remembers a tiny one, so that gives us a bit of a timeline of when we last had a memorable one.

I always feel like we're about to have a big one.

so you're unable to make the earth move for her? am i reading that right?

the first earthquake i remember was the 1971 shaker. it was early morning and woke me up. i thought someone was shaking all of my baseball trophies for some weird reason. opened my eyes and realized no one was there. dad came in and said it was an earthquake (i was 11) and needed to get in the door way immediately. i lived in hawthorne and we were relatively unscathed. i remember a VA hospital in san fernando was hit hard and there were concerns about cracks in a dam out that way, though those haven't really materialized.