• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Do you agree with this article?

beatlesrule

http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2016/2/11/10966968/mike-trout-trade-angels-lol-no

I have a hard time believing that they would never trade Trout.  If he got tired of ownership and losing, he would want out.  If that's the case, why wouldn't you trade him?  I am not stating that I want them to but I think it's silly to think they wouldn't under certain circumstances.

The thing about this is, he really can't be traded because whichever GM that traded him will have effectively ended his career as a GM. He'll always be known as the guy that traded Mike Trout. He'd be a front office pariah.

Not to mention a trade like that would bring along with it a Ruthian curse to the Angels.

Having said that, we have a precursor. A-Rod was a 9 win player and Texas traded him for Soriano (a 4 win player), Joaquin Arias (utility infielder) and 67 million in salary relief. Not exactly the mega-package you're looking for. Same with Miguel Cabrera's trade. Underwhelming.

So no matter what the package is, it isn't enough. Not only does no team have the necessary prospect value to equate acquiring potentially the greatest player ever, but the Angels couldn't possibly recoup the amount Trout brings in from merchandising and just plain putting butts in the seats.

For better or worse, Trout is not tradable.

That's what I'm getting at. If Arte continues with this new way of thinking, Trout might want to not play for an owner like him anymore. Do you just let his contract run out and lose him for nothing? I would really hate to waste a once in a generation player but this off-season sure hasn't bode well for the future.

I can envision Trout throwing ultimatums to the Angels, he has the juice to do it. Kobe wanted his roster upgraded or he was out / post shaq / pre gasol years

Not that you'll discuss this but I'll ask anyway, what in Trout's history makes you think he would ever give the Angels ultimatums? What makes you think Trout has a similar personality to Kobe? I think you might be projecting a little bit.

Yes, I agree that they shouldn't trade him.

But I'm concerned with Eppler at the helm as I really have no clue what his direction of the team is.

If you're Arte, you'd NEVER trade Trout if you're eventually planning on selling the team. 

Imagine how badly Eppler will get bent over by the other GM if he were to ever negotiate a Trout trade. Add in Arte's meddling and Sosh's old school instincts and it'll make the MCab trade look like a winner. 

Yes, I agree that they shouldn't trade him.

But I'm concerned with Eppler at the helm as I really have no clue what his direction of the team is.

If you're Arte, you'd NEVER trade Trout if you're eventually planning on selling the team.

. + infinity

Keeping a payroll reasonable is admittedly very important.

So is keeping a player that will make the team attractive to prospective owners.

Don't even think about it for 3 years. Then see how things are going in December 2018.

Edited by Angel Oracle

There is no need to trade him. He is so young that he will still be good when the team is ready to compete again (assuming a rebuild). But you gotta lock him up before Harper hits free agency. I'd say rip up his old deal and offer him 12/360.

It would only add $6 million AAV towards the threshold for 2016, and would only take your own star player to his age 35/36 season.

.....Don't even think about it for 3 years. Then see how things are going in December 2018.

^^^This^^^.....no reason to worry about this right now.....Trout could get hurt badly, we could get lucky with a FA signing (if we ever do that again) or a trade....let's play ball for a couple of years before we worry about it....

It would only add $6 million AAV towards the threshold for 2016, and would only take your own star player to his age 35/36 season.

As absurd as it sounds, even something in the realm of 13-14 years and $400 mil could be okay for the team.

To put the numbers in context, Zack Greinke is getting $34 mil per through his age 37 season. Paying Trout (a far more valuable player) the same annual salary, through the same aged season, puts you at 14/476. At 12/360+, the Angels would be getting a bargain.

As absurd as it sounds, even something in the realm of 13-14 years and $400 mil could be okay for the team.

To put the numbers in context, Zack Greinke is getting $34 mil per through his age 37 season. Paying Trout (a far more valuable player) the same annual salary, through the same aged season, puts you at 14/476. At 12/360+, the Angels would be getting a bargain.

While it may be a bargain it is still a huge risk. Is it a risk they should consider, probably, but a risk none the less. I doubt they let Trout ever get to free agency as long as he is healthy.

Could it be possible we balked from spending big money this year because Arte is already kicking around offering Trout another extension in the near future? That doesn't seem likely but when you look at Moreno's involvement with major FAs and that insane extension he gave Scioscia, it's not impossible. I'm talking something Artecrazy - 10 yrs/$375, 15/$400. May be another reason why he's tried to keep below the luxury tax line, he knows he may be adding heavily to it soon. Would be a good PR/fan morale move too.

Except that a redone contract would not add that much to the team payrolls or team AAVs for 2016-2020, maybe $6-$9 million/season extra tops?

I would wait though until after 2017/2018.

His current contract has an AAV of 24 (6yr/144)

A 10/375 (reasonable) would be an AAV of 37.5 - so, add 13.5m to luxury tax.