• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Angels Waive Taylor Featherston - Sign LHP Christian Friedrich

Chuck

I went to our 40-man roster to see if there were people who I would have DFAd instead of Featherston but once I got there I found I didn't remember who about 10 of them were. So at this point who f'ing knows. The difference between keeping one terrible player over another on a team that won't make the playoffs anyway isn't much of a concern.

Friedrich was 5 and 2 as a starter when he broke in., including a 9 inning 1 run 10 strikeout performance in San Fran. A stress fracture in his lower back set him way back after that. He made several starts until the Rockies figured out what was wrong with him. The lower back injury is a full year injury....this kid lost over 30 pounds in that time. Last season was the first time that he was able to train for a full off season! Considering that, he did pretty good. He might have the best breaking stuff in baseball, now that he is pitching in normal air, we will see what happens. He had good numbers away from Coors! I would like to see the Angels bring him along as a starter again. This could be a very nice pickup, only time will tell. I think two years removed from a significant injury will really help Friedrich regain his old form! The Halos may have gotten a gem here. 

Friedrich was 5 and 2 as a starter when he broke in., including a 9 inning 1 run 10 strikeout performance in San Fran. A stress fracture in his lower back set him way back after that. He made several starts until the Rockies figured out what was wrong with him. The lower back injury is a full year injury....this kid lost over 30 pounds in that time. Last season was the first time that he was able to train for a full off season! Considering that, he did pretty good. He might have the best breaking stuff in baseball, now that he is pitching in normal air, we will see what happens. He had good numbers away from Coors! I would like to see the Angels bring him along as a starter again. This could be a very nice pickup, only time will tell. I think two years removed from a significant injury will really help Friedrich regain his old form! The Halos may have gotten a gem here. 

I hope so.  We have a bunch of "two years removed" guys now.  That's definitely Epplers MO.  Some of them should stick.

thanks for the info.  Are you a friend or family member?  Either way, welcome to AW.  

If he's prone to stress injury in his low back, my guess is that they will keep him coming out of the pen.  He even mentioned in a previous article that is was the stopping and starting between innings that would get to him.  I wonder if he can crank the velo up a bit coming out of the pen.  Turn into an Andrew Miller type.  

I like taking a shot on those former Colorado guys.  Hope it works out.  

thanks for the info.  Are you a friend or family member?  Either way, welcome to AW.  

If he's prone to stress injury in his low back, my guess is that they will keep him coming out of the pen.  He even mentioned in a previous article that is was the stopping and starting between innings that would get to him.  I wonder if he can crank the velo up a bit coming out of the pen.  Turn into an Andrew Miller type.  

He can hit 95 mph...as starter was 91-94, curve is 75 to 77, slider is 84-87. Here is the video below vs San Fran. He is not this size anymore. He is presently 15 lbs lighter than when he broke in. I believe the stress fracture in his back was caused by a comebacker vs Ariz, pitched a shutout that day. This guy is a class act, will not turn a kid down for an autograph, loved being with Rockies and fan fest attendees always had nice things to say about him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEBbcX1oevM

Ha Ha.....Not a family member, but have followed him for years. I know all about him. Put it this way.....what ever team he is on, I am a fan! My father played pro ball with the Halos old head of scouting, Nick Kamzic and Nick helped get me a division 1 baseball scholarship back in 1979.  My father was Christian's pitching coach as well as George Kontos of the Giants.  I hope this works for Christian, there is so much ability there!

ah -- could see this coming -- why did we waste a 2015 roster spot (ALL SEASON LONG) for this Rule 5 guy?

I think I asked that question at least 50 times in posts last year.

So now I assume Featherston goes to the Rockies as a non-roster guy,

Well,  at least I'd rather have a LHP than Featherston.

I think we lost several games last year because we did not have the flexibility of actually using that roster spot for a player we could use rather than Featherston.

Oh well, at least we didn't sign a certain pitcher (BLANTON, really ??) like the LA Dogs have done...........

Ha Ha.....Not a family member, but have followed him for years. I know all about him. Put it this way.....what ever team he is on, I am a fan! My father played pro ball with the Halos old head of scouting, Nick Kamzic and Nick helped get me a division 1 baseball scholarship back in 1979.  My father was Christian's pitching coach as well as George Kontos of the Giants.  I hope this works for Christian, there is so much ability there!

I've had the chance to watch Christian a couple times in the minors a few years back. Some guys you see and just know are going to be major leaguers, special ones at that. Off the top of my head, Richards, Shelby Miller, Sonny Gray, Tyler Skaggs, James Tallion. Christian very much fit in with that group. It's disheartening to see the injuries and ineffectiveness in Colorado. I'm excited the Angels were able to bring someone in of his upside. He definitely has the chance to reestablish himself this year with the Angels. If he's successful, a move back to the rotation could be in order, similar to how C.J. Wilson developed with the Rangers a few years back. Good LHSP with upside, injury forced him to the pen. Succeeded in that role, made the transition back to starter after a couple successful years abd the rest is history.

I think we lost several games last year because we did not have the flexibility of actually using that roster spot for a player we could use rather than Featherston.

Im no Featherston fan, but flexibility was the only reason he was there. They had no utility infielder to back up Aybar and/or the other IF positions when needed (replacing Johny Mac). They just grabed a glove first guy that cost minimum thats now replaceable with the recent additions.

He was not the problem last year. That was a result of lack of developed SS prospects.

If he stays then good. If not, oh well. Developing guy that got a shot and filled a hole that meant nobody else was forced up too early. He gets too much hate on here.