• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

What about Carl Crawford?

wopphil

At this point, why bother? Crawford isn't the difference between us making the playoffs or not. May as well ensure we stay below the tax, not add any extra money and hope that by next offseason we have a competent enough administration to give us a chance of not wasting the prime years of the best player on the planet.

At this point, why bother? Crawford isn't the difference between us making the playoffs or not. May as well ensure we stay below the tax, not add any extra money and hope that by next offseason we have a competent enough administration to give us a chance of not wasting the prime years of the best player on the planet.

If we can acquire a good LF, his value will be felt in several facets.

1. Offensive improvement. This is the most obvious one.

2. Lineup realignment. If you can put someone capable in front of Trout, you can move Calhoun to the middle of the order where he so clearly belongs.

3. Defensive improvement. We have a large contingent of young pitchers in Richards, Heaney, Skaggs and Tropeano, if we can construct a stud OF (we're already 2/3 of the way there), it would go a VERY long way in supporting those kids and helping them all reach their full potential.

I honestly believe that right now, this ball club is Dexter Fowler away from being a playoff team, that's how much we need a LF that can field and hit. The rest of our inadequecies can be minimized (Cowart or Kubitza at 3B, any decent defender at 2B, getting Choi some AB's at 1B or DH), but LF has to be upgraded in a big way. To me, it's the difference between winning 83-84 games and winning 89-90.

If we can acquire a good LF, his value will be felt in several facets.

1. Offensive improvement. This is the most obvious one.

2. Lineup realignment. If you can put someone capable in front of Trout, you can move Calhoun to the middle of the order where he so clearly belongs.

3. Defensive improvement. We have a large contingent of young pitchers in Richards, Heaney, Skaggs and Tropeano, if we can construct a stud OF (we're already 2/3 of the way there), it would go a VERY long way in supporting those kids and helping them all reach their full potential.

I honestly believe that right now, this ball club is Dexter Fowler away from being a playoff team, that's how much we need a LF that can field and hit. The rest of our inadequecies can be minimized (Cowart or Kubitza at 3B, any decent defender at 2B, getting Choi some AB's at 1B or DH), but LF has to be upgraded in a big way. To me, it's the difference between winning 83-84 games and winning 89-90.

So i tend to agree with the narrative that a solid to good LFer would improve this team more than the number of wins that player is worth individually.   I am not sure Fowler is that guy.  I would not give up a pick and pay 12mil per season to find out.  He's a poor defender to boot.  

I don't see Crawford making sense either.  If the Dogs were going to pay the bulk of his salary they would expect a solid prospect in return and I don't think it's worth it to give up anything for him.  

Eppler is a Nava believer.  Let's see if he right.  He's come this far.  

As an aside, I would actually be pretty pissed if, at this point, the halos went out and traded for some second rate guy with a high salary and gave up something in return or burned their pick and went over the cap for Fowler.  Maybe it would help the team some, but it would certainly mean that this FO is a dumpster fire.  

Right now, our problems can be blamed on Arte.  If they've been sitting on their hands trying to wait out Fowler then I have no words.