• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

A tribute to our dog Gemma

560997_10200271724819366_480381376_n.jpg

We lost a member of our family today as our beautiful  white lab named Gemma succumbed to a short battle with liver disease.  She was 9 years old.  

She was our first born coming into our lives prior to our two children.  I felt compelled to let people know what a true joy she was.  An old soul that was friends with everyone she met.  I have never met a dog so sweet, gentle and loving.  She was a 60lb lap dog who with one lick could make you feel better in an instant.   

When the wife and kids would be getting ready for bed, she would lay next to me in the office while I worked, or watched the game, or jacked around on AW with you all.  Sometimes I'd fart and blame on her.  Sometimes she'd fart and I'd get blamed.  She would lay there until I went up to bed and then she'd follow me up.  

She rarely if ever made a sound.  No barking or snarling.  She was energetic but not spastic.  She didn't chew the furniture or knock people over.  Just extreme tail wagging that shook her entire back side followed by a couple of licks.  

We used to walk her off leash and she'd just cruise along next to us.  We would leave our plates with food on our coffee table as we ate and watched tv and she never touched them.  She wanted nothing from us but to be in the same room.  

She shed like nothing I have ever seen but had the softest coat.  Sunday afternoon floor naps with her as my pillow were the best.  

Making the choice to end her suffering and watching her pass was probably one of the toughest things I have ever experienced.  

My condolences to anyone that has been through that or the loss of a pet in any way.  

But the main thing I wanted to say was thank you.  Thank you so much for being part of our lives.  Even though we feel like we got short changed we couldn't have asked for a more amazing and selfless companion.  We will always love you and we will never forget you.  

Labs are the best. Sorry for your loss doc

thanks ALB.  

couple of things I forgot to mention.  First, she was an English lab.  They are amazing with kids as they are a little less high strung than their american counterparts.  Most English labs have a similar temperament.  

Second, when you have your pets do their yearly checkup, make sure you request blood work that extends beyond just the heartworm test.  She had a 'normal' checkup about a week before she decompensated.  You have to ask them to do it as they generally won't offer it, but it's worth the little bit of extra money.  Gemma ended up having copper liver disease that is treatable if detected early, but by the time we were able to diagnose her, she was already too sick for us to do anything.   

I have a 12 year old black lab named Champ. He's getting old and gray. He's deaf now but he still doing pretty well. I've never loved a dog like I've loved Champ. We recently adopted a black lab mix puppy. She's almost five months and she will be very big. She's been pretty great and is now potty trained which took longer than expected. She's an indoor pup.

Doc I am sorry about your loss.

Nine is awful young. RIP

btw, guys, "Dog RIP" threads are the male equivalent of the women getting together and drinking wine (or online) and affirming the ever-loving shit out of each other for the wonderfulness of being moms, or their bad male choices.

But I don't care. Dogs are the best.

Thats all about the wine, but you're right. We should have booze.

Doc, your white lab looks a lot like my Anatolian Shepherd, Max.. He's getting up there in years too at 12 years old.

I agree, Labs are the best. Max has the demeanor of a lab, though because he's a shepherd he's awful protective of the family.

10600542_10205092148079824_8591038292746