• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Cespedes signs with the Mets

Oz27

Doc summarized perfectly why Moreno needs to sell the team. He isn't in it for the long haul (no long term plan), and 13 years is enough.

Take your profit Arte Moreno, and run.

you might want to rephrase that as I didn't mention anything about whether Moreno needs to sell.  

I think we need to be careful what we wish for in that regard.  

Whatever happened to the 2000s Arte, I'll gladly take him back. Seemingly didn't meddle in player decisions.

This Arte (since 2010) is nothing like that one.

One post-season in 6 years, with extra slots available, is on the fast track towards becoming like pre-2002.

Edited by Angel Oracle

It's the same Arte. Spending on FAs...he bought everyone in '04. They had disastrous signings too...Colon, Guillen, Garroid, Finley. The difference is too many good years, lost draft picks and poor drafting. Now, they are maxed out on salary and he decided not to dip into well so people are freaking out which is dangerously near Yankees/Red Sox fan territory. Team is still good and they could still win

Now that Cespedes signed with the Mets we should see if we could somehow work a deal to get Alejandro De Anza for 2016. Short term solution. He hits pretty good in Anaheim and with RISP. Good postseason performer also. Send Wilson, Nava and some cash.

I'm pretty sure you can't trade a player you signed as a free agent before they even play a game with you.

Whatever happened to the 2000s Arte, I'll gladly take him back. Seemingly didn't meddle in player decisions.

One post-season in 6 years, with extra slots available, is on the fast track towards becoming like pre-2002.

He had a GM that forced the team to build from within and invested in Latin America.   I think there was a level of trust and a belief that he knew what he was doing.  He also stood his ground -- remember Arte's love of Tejada??    Eppler better find his nuts or it's strike three post Stoneman.

Edited by Inside Pitch

What happened, IMO, was the big television contract. Moreno felt the need to sign major names to increase visibility and market presence. Albert Pujols was one of the biggest (if not the biggest) name in the game at the time, and in order to compete with the Dodgers he felt the need to bring in well known names. As others have mentioned, obvious warning signs were ignored in the name of perceived image.