• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

NL to Possibly Get DH As Soon As '17

mulwin444

They could still keep both styles of play if they allow the home field Mgr to make the call before each game. It can be used strategically that way. AZ with Greinke on the mound would love to put him in their lineup and force the visitors to a disadvantage by having to shelve their DH for a pitcher. This could work.

I hate the idea of adding the DH to the NL. If they are going to unify the rules at least be creative about it and try to keep some semblance of the tradition and spirit of the game intact.

I am partial to the idea of a single player substitution rule, which I believe was first proposed by Tom Tango. The idea is to allow teams to return one of the two players back into the game following a substitution. Currently, if you pinch hit for a pitcher you have to burn two players, the pitcher and the pinch hitter (who is replaced by the new pitcher). A single player substitution rule would allow the team to only have to eliminate one of those two players from reentry to the game. 

So when a pitcher comes up to bat, the manager could send in a pinch hitter, then at the end of the inning decide whether or not to return the pitcher to the mound and remove the pinch hitter from the game, or to take the pitcher out of the game and return the pinch hitter back to the bench.

In this world it would be the DH that is eliminated, but the result would be far less pitcher plate appearances, and generally only at the most strategic of times. For example, a team could allow the pitcher to bat in his first PA in the 3rd inning, then when his spot comes up again in the 5th or 6th inning the manager could opt to replace him with a more traditional DH who would then bat in place of the relief pitchers for the rest of the game. Alternatively if the manager wants to keep his pitcher in he could send up a second tier pinch hitter and then remove him from the game following the PA, allowing the pitcher to return to the mound.

I like this alternative because it still keeps the tradition of pitcher hitting, makes the rules uniform for both leagues as well as for every position (substitutions could also be used for other hitters, or for defensive replacements), and actually adds an additional layer of strategy to the game, rather than removing it.

I'm not sure it really works out any better for the players.

I think it would.  A full time DH makes a lot more than a bench player. 

Just thinking about this some more.  If this is implemented next season.  This is a huge plus for Trumbo, who is a FA after this season. 

I think it would.  A full time DH makes a lot more than a bench player. 

Just thinking about this some more.  If this is implemented next season.  This is a huge plus for Trumbo, who is a FA after this season. 

It will help some players, but at the expense of others. It's hard for me to think that NL teams have a wad of cash just waiting around to spend on a DH when it gets implemented.

i like it mainly because 99% of pitchers today don't even make an effort anymore so whats the point, though i'm very sure they aren't doing it for any game related reasons.   

From the onwers perspective its all about protecting the investments in these pitchers. 

Form the MLBPA its all about making more money for the players that can fill this role.

For me, its about watching good baseball and there are like 2 guys in the league today as far as pitchers go that give even 1 F%&$ about batting so im fine with it at this point as opposed to the endless run of bad bunts and flailing swings 

Victor Rojas Retweeted Richard Justice

Rule should’ve been changed years ago. No reason to have same game played under different set of rules.

Victor Rojas added,

Richard Justice @richardjustice
DH debate picks up, but rule far from changing http://atmlb.com/1PHEJBV  via @mlb

1 retweet10 likes

Retweet

More

I've heard it could possibly go up to 28, with only 25 active for each game. So in other words you could make your last three starting pitchers inactive each night.

I heard this rumor also.  Kind of like how the NHL does it.  It would also make sense also for a guy that is a little banged up. 

I was hoping that they would get rid of the DH position all together.

I consider myself a traditionalist, except I hate watching pitchers try to hit, and I kind like the Wild Card part of the playoffs. I think I like the WC because it makes more games meaningful the last couple of weeks of the season. Lastly, I would love for them to shorten the season, not necessarily cut games, but cut weeks off the schedule. If they do expand the roster then double header Sundays would be cool. Then all teams have Monday off.