• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Angels-Kendrick

Second Base

So you are in favor of flushing the first two rounds of the draft.

For me it's not preferable, but it's the only way I'm comfortable at all with signing him. He's not worth losing a first round pick. If they want to sign him it has to be because they are already losing their first round pick from signing Upton.

If they can get Freese on a short deal (1-2 yrs), then I am for signing him and Upton. That would be my pie in the sky preference. Freese+Escobar>>>>>gia+Escobar. Freese isn't the greatest, but he's solid. He was better on defense last year and looked in better shape. He also improved offensively. Enough to make him worth over 2 WAR by both bWAR and fWAR in only 120 games. I think if they give him another year or 2 that he improves offensively. He's had to adjust to AL pitching and being on a new team. Having the continuity should help him and the rest of the team.

I'm with the Upton crowd, but Eppler's really made some head-scratchers so far, so I couldn't pretend to know what his actual plan, if there is one.

Eppler's current plan is damage control. He has to work around some serious contracts. Arte has a stadium to fix, a new lease agreement to consider or he needs to move or sell.

It's not like they don't have anything to do. Do they not have a 25 man roster?

So you are in favor of flushing the first two rounds of the draft.

No, not what I said. I meant that Howie only makes sense if the Angels go after Upton. Then it isn't "Howie or a 1st round pick," its "Howie or a 2nd round pick" which isn't as painful.

At this point I'd prefer to sign Cespedes and move Escobar to 2nd base and give Cowbitza a shot. Then we'd have:

2B Escobar

RF Calhoun

CF Trout

LF Cespedes

1B Pujols

DH Cron

C Soto

3B Cowbitza

SS Simmons

What do you mean isn't as painful? You are talking about not getting a selection until the third round. That is flushing your draft. And for what, Howie Kendrick?

It's nuts.

Again, you misunderstand.I am not saying get Howie and flush the first two rounds. I'm saying that if the Angels get Upton--who is worth the loss of a first round draft pick, imo--then it isn't as painful to lose a second round pick for Howie.

But again, at this point my preference would be to go after Cespedes because I'd rather have Cespedes + 1st round pick than Upton without the pick.

I'm with the Upton crowd, but Eppler's really made some head-scratchers so far, so I couldn't pretend to know what his actual plan, if there is one.

I'm beginning to believe that there isn't. Some moves say that they are trying to win now, others say that they are building for the future, while still others say that they are just filling uniforms.

I'm beginning to believe that there isn't. Some moves say that they are trying to win now, others say that they are building for the future, while still others say that they are just filling uniforms.

I think there was, at the beginning of the offseason.  Don't go crazy with the spending, but we'd like you to build a deeper team, and fill the holes of the roster Jerry left behind.  Once Arte got wind of the numbers being exchanged, that plan changed to plug the holes with the best players for the least amount of money.  This caused Eppler to go out and sign players that he thought had bounceback potential like Nava and Gentry.

If I had to guess, right now the current plan is try to get a final number of Upton, Cespedes and Kendrick (and whoever else to Arte).  If it falls in a range that comfortable, proceed, if not, stick with what we have.  

One thing I feel that's true about Arte, is that he REALLY cares what people think.  Lowering beer prices, changing the name to LA, bringing in Albert and Josh.  He wants name recognition and he wants to be thought of in a positive sense.  Right now, the baseball world hates him and blames him for his callousness with Hamilton, which is crap, and Angels fans hate him for pulling the plug and refusing to spend the necessary money to fix the mess he put himself in. 

I think Arte's going to end up spending, just for the sake of not drawing the ire of the fans and more importantly, the media. 

Scotty I read a lot of your stuff here but don't ever think that Arte is worried about what the fans think. He's not going to sign anyone that puts him past the luxury tax. He's already paying the Hamiltax.

I really don't have a ton to back up my claim that Arte cares about how he's viewed. It's just how I perceive his moves, like the beer prices, name changes and signing players less based on their future production and more on their splash value. To me, these are moves that reflect an owner that is concerned about how the public views him.

Arte Moreno has seen the team value grow by almost a billion dollars on top of making a sweet profit from year to year. This is pro sports, you do what you have to do to compete. We can afford to eat the luxury tax for 1-2 years.

I like the use of the word "we" in your last sentence

I'm not going to mention names.  But someone should have said yes when offered a one year $15.5 million offer.  By the looks of things, that person and Fowler will have plenty of time to spend on the golf course close to home.  And the way it's going, Upton and Cespedes might make it a foursome. 

The way I understood the yacht statement was a concern staying under the tax over the long term, so we're out on Upton and Cespedes. I think Arte might back down on the tax for 2016 if he's sure the 2017 budget will be under the tax. I'm thinking if Kendrick signs somewhere before Freeze does, then Arte will ok a Freeze deal. If Howie doesn't sign, we bring him back when he becomes available. If Freeze signs then Howie signs we trade for a LF in spring training (although I'm guessing that happens regardless).

Edited by Revad