• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Signing Upton/Cespedes

Signing Upton/Cespedes  

51 members have voted

1. 1. How much does the amount of money/years matter?

• Offer a high AAV as long as we stay short with the length
    • Offer more years and less AAV ( stay below the threshold in future years)
    • 1 year deal is the way to go
    • Try to sign them... But there's a limit to everything
    • Sign them no matter what. Pshhhh, Arte is a billionaire plus we can't waste Trouts talent
    • Both will be bad signings. Stick with the platoon or trade for an OF

Lastly, that 2006 team Claude, wasn't all that good on paper. They got on base at a very good clip. But wow that rotation was not good. Vlad was like Trout, and everyone else was ok.

Huh? The rotation wasn't bad. Weaver ® was damn good, albeit in only 19 starts, and Lackey and Escobar were solid. The 4 and 5 options weren't great sure, but Santana was serviceable. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_Los_Angeles_Angels_of_Anaheim_season#Roster

$50 spent is not a net profit to Arte.

I will say this.....I'm pretty sure that Arte has plans that involve his family's future and wealth management. I'm sure that Arte has some advisors that understand todays baseball financial market. He's well informed about the risk of signing another big money player. This is not his first rodeo and this time he may be listening to his family and advisors instead of the fans. After Pujols and Hamilton I agree with his new direction.

Whatever that direction is.

$50 spent is not a net profit to Arte.

I will say this.....I'm pretty sure that Arte has plans that involve his family's future and wealth management. I'm sure that Arte has some advisors that understand todays baseball financial market. He's well informed about the risk of signing another big money player. This is not his first rodeo and this time he may be listening to his family and advisors instead of the fans. After Pujols and Hamilton I agree with his new direction.

why?  in two years he's gonna burn payroll on Strasburg.  I agree with your first couple of sentences.  But this isn't a new direction.  He's not gonna endorse signing anyone because he's maxed out on payroll.  The team hasn't been able to find a LFer because we are out of prospects.  

The plan is and always has been the same.  It will start up again when we've got some money freed up.  likely 2018.  By that time we will likely have a couple of guys in the minors worth trading.  Wash.  Rinse.  Repeat.  

why? in two years he's gonna burn payroll on Strasburg. I agree with your first couple of sentences. But this isn't a new direction. He's not gonna endorse signing anyone because he's maxed out on payroll. The team hasn't been able to find a LFer because we are out of prospects.

The plan is and always has been the same. It will start up again when we've got some money freed up. likely 2018. By that time we will likely have a couple of guys in the minors worth trading. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

Doc I've felt all along that Arte is preparing to sell the team. His Anaheim real estate deal is dead and Tustin was never really interested. He's on the hook for all of the city owned stadium renovations at an out of pocket expense of $150M if he stays. The NFL is back and I think that Arte is going to cash out. Arte for the first time ever mentioned that he is willing to listen to offers. Let's see what happens.

At this point I want the guy to get involved and go out and sign Cespedes. Sure it might backfire, but what is there to lose, just his money. It isn't like he would be blocking a minor leaguer at this point. Do any of us (besides Scotty, haha) have any faith that anyone currently in the system will be a good everyday left fielder in the next three years? Arte, please get your balls back. Thanks.

Cespedes also has shown (except for a bad 2015 WS) that he can rise to the occasion in a big game setting. 

Before people rail on Cespedes' ALLEGED attitude, they should consider why he was traded twice within the season.

The A'th seemingly always trade star players.

The Tigers were imploding, through no particular fault of Cespedes.

I'm prepared though to move on without Cespedes.   But a LF ABSOLUTELY has to be acquired, even if it's Revere.

Revere still >>>>>> Nava/Gentry.

The direction is have no farm and don't spend money despite holes? Go ahead and like that direction.

I'm not so much bothered by the new austerity so much as the new austerity on top of trading your solid long time SS and two best prospects for a defensive whiz SS....that direction appears to be to find the nearest ditch and park the franchise there...kind of nonsensical to act like you're going for it now by trading your two best prospects and then spending like you're the Rays....

Edited by DMVol

I'm not so much bothered by the new austerity so much as the new austerity on top of trading your solid long time SS and two best prospects for a defensive whiz SS....that direction appears to be to find the nearest ditch and park the franchise there...kind of nonsensical to act like you're going for it now by trading your two best prospects and then spending like you're the Rays....

I don't believe for a second that the plan Eppler had starting the off season is still the plan that exists now.  My opinion is that Arte pulled the plug on the original plan by curtailing spending when he saw the expenditures going out to this year's free agent class.

Edited by tomsred

While I am frustrated with the direction as well Vladdy, what you said isn't true. Just because he would sign that kind of deal with the Mets doesn't mean he would sign one with the Angels. He has already been offered 5 years from the Nats and is contemplating the contract you are thinking of from the Mets. So maybe he liked playing with the Mets, or maybe he just wants to be the only free agent next year. I would love to have him on a 3 year deal with a 1 year opt out.