• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Signing Upton/Cespedes

Signing Upton/Cespedes  

51 members have voted

1. 1. How much does the amount of money/years matter?

• Offer a high AAV as long as we stay short with the length
    • Offer more years and less AAV ( stay below the threshold in future years)
    • 1 year deal is the way to go
    • Try to sign them... But there's a limit to everything
    • Sign them no matter what. Pshhhh, Arte is a billionaire plus we can't waste Trouts talent
    • Both will be bad signings. Stick with the platoon or trade for an OF

Looking at various threads, a lot of people seem to think that this is a horrible off season if we don't sign a big OF. Personally, I'd be very dissapointed like the most of you. I was just wondering where everyone here draws the line. If Cespedes indeed wanted more than Davis then he is completely delusional. I would rather pass than give a 6+ year to Cespedes (Upton I could swallow). The money concerns me less than the years but I wouldn't like to offer ridiculous AAV and hinder our options for the future in an attempt to stay under the luxury threshold. How does everyone here feel about spending on them? Personally, I think there is always a limit and if the final contracts end up being through the roof and we miss out on them I will be glad Arte learned his lessons from the past.

I basically agree with Scotty's numbers. One thing to keep in mind is that Upton or Kendrick would involve a lost draft pick, so it doesn't make sense to offer a one or two year deal. I really don't see Upton settling for less than six years, maybe five a month from now. I imagine Howie is kicking himself for not accepting the qualifying offer. Right now I could see him getting no more than 2/$25M or 3/$30M, and perhaps not even that. 

It seems that Cespedes wants 6/$132M. He probably won't get that, although I do think he'll get 5/$110M. I personally would rather see the Angels offer him 5/$100M, but be willing to bring it up to 5/$110M.

As for trades, I'd love to see Wilson, Santiago or Shoemaker moved for an outfield prospect, even someone that could play this year. But they'd probably have to sweeten the deal, unless they're willing to take on another salary like Carlos Gonzalez. But Cargo has Vernon Wells II written all over him.

With Cespedes, I'd draw the limit at 5/100. With Upton, I'd draw that limit at 7 years and 150 million. For Kendrick, I'd set the limit at 3/30.

And as far as potential trade chips, the farm is barren, and I wouldn't trade Tropeano, Skaggs or Heaney, pretty much at all.

I basically agree with Scotty's numbers. One thing to keep in mind is that Upton or Kendrick would involve a lost draft pick, so it doesn't make sense to offer a one or two year deal. I really don't see Upton settling for less than six years, maybe five a month from now. I imagine Howie is kicking himself for not accepting the qualifying offer. Right now I could see him getting no more than 2/$25M or 3/$30M, and perhaps not even that. 

It seems that Cespedes wants 6/$132M. He probably won't get that, although I do think he'll get 5/$110M. I personally would rather see the Angels offer him 5/$100M, but be willing to bring it up to 5/$110M.

As for trades, I'd love to see Wilson, Santiago or Shoemaker moved for an outfield prospect, even someone that could play this year. But they'd probably have to sweeten the deal, unless they're willing to take on another salary like Carlos Gonzalez. But Cargo has Vernon Wells II written all over him.

Agree, those numbers are pretty accurate to what I would like to limit expenses to as well. As far as trades, I'd avoid trading from that bunch (Skaggs, Heaney, Tropeano). From those, none are untradable but perhaps Skaggs is the least I'd like to let go of because of his diminished value due to injury and the high upside he has for us. Heaney I'd like to keep, but wouldn't deem as untradable. Tropeano is interesting because I can part with him for the right piece. The problem is that we are bidding on our SP depth to replace Weaver/Wilson next season meaning that we don't have the luxury to sell of in this area. Having a young 4/5 starter at league minimum for a few years definitely helps. 

AJ hit it on the head with Santiago, Wilson, Shoemaker in terms of what we should be looking into giving up. I'd prefer to send Santiago + Berosian for a decent,young, cost-controlled 2B/3B and sign one of the two OFer's. Of course, if we are unable to sign them due to high price tags, we have to look at the opportunity to trade for an outfielder. I don't really like this alternative though. 

Sign Upton or Cespedes (it's a wash to me at this point), if Arte is really that determined to keep costs at a minimum, trade Hector or CJ for some prospects/cheap, young players to fill out the roster (another bullpen arm would be nice). Upton or Cespedes in left, another nice arm in the pen, and a prospect or two in Salt Lake to make the team even deeper. 

Arte should just listen to the fans. Sign both Upton and Cespedes. Let's get that payroll up to about $200M and if we still don't win.....oh well, it's your money so tough shit Arte!

Payroll over $200 million and he would still make a profit. He might also start selling out games again. I'm not for signing both. I'm for filling the holes before opening day.

Rumors starting to heat up in regards to Cespedes.  Up to ten teams in contact.  Heyman tweeted that there is no chance he needs to take a short deal.  

I guess there will always be suitors for the top end guys.  Thinking we could get a deal here was probably a pipe dream.  

I wonder if we are waiting for these guys to find their landing spots so we can make a trade for a then extra OFer.  Like a Michael Saunders from Toronto or a Rusney Castillo from Boston.  

Rumors starting to heat up in regards to Cespedes. Up to ten teams in contact. Heyman tweeted that there is no chance he needs to take a short deal.

Agent is feeding that to Heyman in an attempt to salvage his market.. Edited by DMVol

What about a deal with Oakland that starts with Reddick for Santiago?

Doesn't really fit Beane's MO. I mean yeah, he likes his pitching, and is willing to roll the the dice on starter/relievers on the chance their stuff translates to the top/middle of the rotation. But he uses such talent to accumulate enough pitching and talent in general to rebuild and compete.

But being an all encompassing GM like Beane is, I think he'd look into what he can get here for his talent. Reddick's value isn't at its peak right now. He can trade Reddick at the deadline and get a higher value, or he can wait until next year's weak free agent class and reap the first round pick he'll bring back. Whereas with Santiago, his value is at its peak right now given his price and the "all-star" tag next to his name. He's just as likely to record a 4 ERA as a 3 ERA, and he would be reaching free agency a year later, in a particularly strong free agent class, which may make it less likely that Santiago will be in high demand.

So right now, Beane has an almost assured opportunity to recoup some strong prospects here. In Santiago, while on the surface it's a trade that makes a ton of sense, upon further investigation, it becomes increasingly more likely that Hector will provide future diminishing value.

Looking at various threads, a lot of people seem to think that this is a horrible off season if we don't sign a big OF. Personally, I'd be very dissapointed like the most of you. I was just wondering where everyone here draws the line. If Cespedes indeed wanted more than Davis then he is completely delusional. I would rather pass than give a 6+ year to Cespedes (Upton I could swallow). The money concerns me less than the years but I wouldn't like to offer ridiculous AAV and hinder our options for the future in an attempt to stay under the luxury threshold. How does everyone here feel about spending on them? Personally, I think there is always a limit and if the final contracts end up being through the roof and we miss out on them I will be glad Arte learned his lessons from the past.

Don't we have to decide if we made an offer first? Combine the threads?