• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Chris Davis signs with Orioles: 7 yrs, $161M

Yeah I'm pretty skeptical of Davis. He has only 2 seasons out of 8 that he's posted over 2 WAR. And they weren't consecutive. Something seems off, but the orioles are the one team that i would say might have enough information to make that decision.

Screw that. The O's are banking on him being a 3 war player the next 6 years! 

As much as I have been hard on the org this offseason for not spending, deals like this are never a good idea.

I just don't get it.  Davis hits a ton of home runs and drives in runs, but what else does he do?  Average in the field, nothing special on the bases, low batting average and he strikes out a ton.  I just don't get giving him this type of money.

Edited by VariousCrap

The issue all offseason long has been that the players know the owners are flush with tons of cash. The owners on the other hand, do not want to establish significantly higher salaries than the ones given out the last few years. The Price / Greinkie / and now Davis deals are all examples of the kind of money teams really have, and what they can really afford.

The one thing though that makes sense in this... he is EXACTLY what they needed.  a LH power bat.  They made sure they filled that need even if they overpayed.  They clearly feel they have a shot at the post next season and made the move.  I applaud that much even if the deal makes little sense on its own merit

So, the Orioles are officially stacked. Overpay or not, they have Hyun-soo Kim, Machado, Davis, Adam Jones, Trumbo, and Wieters. Schoop isn't too shabby either. 

I can see them making the playoffs at the very least, but their SP rotation is kind of horrifying. .

So, the Orioles are officially stacked. Overpay or not, they have Hyun-soo Kim, Machado, Davis, Adam Jones, Trumbo, and Wieters. Schoop isn't too shabby either. 

I can see them making the playoffs at the very least, but their SP rotation is kind of horrifying. .

I see no marked improvement in that team. Last year the finished 12 games out of 1st place. Toronto and NY will still be better and Boston has improved. Also, Jones' OPS has gone down 3 consecutive years. In fact, last year it was lower than Pujols' - who most everyone here rips apart for his lack of production.

I see no marked improvement in that team. Last year the finished 12 games out of 1st place. Toronto and NY will still be better and Boston has improved. Also, Jones' OPS has gone down 3 consecutive years. In fact, last year it was lower than Pujols' - who most everyone here rips apart for his lack of production.

Agree with your overall point but...

Jones career OPS .781. Last year .782

Pujols career OPS .977. Last year .787

Edited by Poozy

you forgot about the fact that Ubaldo Jimenez is their best SP returning from last year.   Maybe they go get Gallardo, but he's not as good as Chen.  They've got a couple of young starters who will have to step up for them to have any shot, but I think they finish around where they did last year.  Maybe a touch better.  I didn't realize how bad Hardy was for them last year.  an OPS+ of 53 in over 400 plate appearances.  yeesh.  

you forgot about the fact that Ubaldo Jimenez is their best SP returning from last year.   Maybe they go get Gallardo, but he's not as good as Chen.  They've got a couple of young starters who will have to step up for them to have any shot, but I think they finish around where they did last year.  Maybe a touch better.  I didn't realize how bad Hardy was for them last year.  an OPS+ of 53 in over 400 plate appearances.  yeesh.

I agree. Yeesh.

I was looking up their SP numbers then got detoured. As things stand now, i don't see the O's making the playoff with that staff.

I think if Pujols played a good CF we would be more tolerant of his OPS.