• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Orioles have made offer to Cespedes

Angelsjunky

For me, 100 rbi, .800 ops one is very probable.  Over would be a bonus.  *edit and a plus defender in LF.

And yes, for a #4 hitter, I consider RBI to be a very important stat.

Its not that RBI isn't an important stat, its that it is largely dependent upon circumstance - that is, how many people get on base in front of you. In other words, it isn't a very good indicator of how good a player is, but what opportunities he had and, secondarily, how well he took advantage of those opportunities.

The fact that the offer went public and is not close to what Cepedes is asking makes me wonder if this is as much about putting pressure on Davis as it is about Cepedes. I just don't think he'll settle for that amount. Maybe teams will start offering more and we'll see some action. Maybe 6/120 or 5/110 would get his interest, doubt he'll take less than that just yet.

Normally I would say to stay away from Cespedes.  But the next couple of years might be our only window to actually do something.  Pujols is going to break down, and we have no offensive talent in the system ready to contribute at the MLB level.  For the next 2 seasons, Cespedes will probably post .285 BA, .790 OPS, 25-30 home runs, then will probably break down to a .240 hitter with a .730 OPS.  We have no other options and this team would really benefit from having a legitimate bat behind Trout.  

Why would the Angeks be stupid for not investing near Hamilton money on a guy that has no stable resume? I think the opposite applies here.

5 years/$100 million in 2016 for a just turned 30 guy with mostly consistent numbers and solid defense/great arm is different from 5 years/$125 million in 2013 for a declining 32 year-old with inconsistent offense and declining defense.

That said, would not be totally bummed if the Halos traded for a decent LF being paid a lot less than $20 million in 2016 and much more talented than Nava or Gentry.

Edited by Angel Oracle

Yoenis Cespedes is ready to take his hacks both on the links and at the Royals’ pitching staff.

Cespedes, who was removed from the Mets’ Game 4 NLCS clincher last Wednesday in Chicago due to a sore left shoulder that required a cortisone shot, declared he will be “110 percent” for Game 1 of the World Series on Tuesday night at Kauffman Stadium.

The Cuban slugger also said he has no plans to ditch his routine of playing a round of golf on game days, which he did on the morning of Game 4 in Chicago.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/mets-cespedes-playing-golf-world-series-article-1.2412468

Normally I would say to stay away from Cespedes.  But the next couple of years might be our only window to actually do something.  Pujols is going to break down, and we have no offensive talent in the system ready to contribute at the MLB level.  For the next 2 seasons, Cespedes will probably post .285 BA, .790 OPS, 25-30 home runs, then will probably break down to a .240 hitter with a .730 OPS.  We have no other options and this team would really benefit from having a legitimate bat behind Trout.  

Going to? Dude's lower body has been toast since year 2 of his 10 year deal.

Why would the Angeks be stupid for not investing near Hamilton money on a guy that has no stable resume? I think the opposite applies here.

On fangraphs steamer sees Cespedes as a 3 win player, while the fan projections are pushing closer to 4. To me this implies a pretty significant gap between how good fans think he is and how good we should expect him to be. I think 5/$100 is an acceptable offer. Not an overpay but on the high side of break even. Ultimately that deal would be better than nothing.