• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Angels, Nationals in mix for Gerardo Parra

Chuck

SB Nation's Chris Cotillo reports that the Nationals and Angels are "still in the mix" for Gerardo Parra.

The Nats have been connected to Parra previously, but this is the first we've heard of the Angels' interest. The Rockies have also reportedly been aggressive in their pursuit of the outfielder. Parra is on the next tier of free agent outfielders after Justin Upton and Yoenis Cespedes and makes for a nice alternative if a team doesn't want to buck up for a premiere bat. He hit .291/.328/.452 with 14 homers and 14 steals last season for the Brewers and Orioles.

As I said in the Hot Stove thread, I think Parra would be a fine add and compares well with Fowler. 

Neither player is a significant impact individually, but either profile well to the club's needs; top of the order bat, can hit left-handed, and bring at least decent speed and defense. Parra won't cost a pick either. 

It'll come down to price. Parra actually fits the defense first mold like Simmons. Not sure where in the order he would fit, since IMO he fits the mold of an Escobar and Simmons.

But with other teams linked to him. Mongo just pawn, in game of life.

We should be hopping off the defense train by now. With Escobar at 3rd, Cron at 1st, JG at 2nd, our defense will be trash.

this would be a weak ass signing. 

i don't know what they're trying to achieve, but it's working. my wife and i didn't go to a single game last year, we just kept up on it daily, and it's looking like more of the same. good strategy arte!

i'm trying to give them a chance, maybe the scioscia/eppler led regime could get results even if i don't like how it's handled, but i'm just not feelin' it. 

there's something not right in the angels organization.

It'll come down to price.  Parra actually fits the defense first mold like Simmons.  Not sure where in the order he would fit, since IMO he fits the mold of an Escobar and Simmons. 

But with other teams linked to him.  Mongo just pawn, in game of life.

He's hit first and second enough that I'd put him and Escobar at the top. Let Calhoun slide down to become a MOTO bat. 

Escobar + Parra in front of Trout, Pujols, Calhoun, and Cron is not bad.

Parra is about as average as you can get. I'd rather have Fowler or Jackson, or Span for that matter.

Parra is better defensively, has a strong arm and has a good blend of speed/power. I'd much rather have Parra and keep our 1st rounder over Fowler, who I'm not opposed to.

Pass on Austin Jackson. 

We should be hopping off the defense train by now. With Escobar at 3rd, Cron at 1st, JG at 2nd, our defense will be trash.

Another nugget of wisdom 

EDIT: And I'm tired of "in the mix" and "still talking to". 

Get a damn deal done already. 

Edited by laagamer

Parra is better defensively, has a strong arm and has a good blend of speed/power. I'd much rather have Parra and keep our 1st rounder over Fowler, who I'm not opposed to.

Pass on Austin Jackson. 

I don't want Fowler because of the draft pick, but he's better than Parra. Parra's defense was horrible last year, although maybe it is an anomaly. He had a good year with the bat last year but still owns a lifetime .277/.326/.404...pretty mediocre.

I don't want Fowler because of the draft pick, but he's better than Parra. Parra's defense was horrible last year, although maybe it is an anomaly. He had a good year with the bat last year but still owns a lifetime .277/.326/.404...pretty mediocre.

Parra's D was nothing special in 2014, either.  It's looking more like his freakish 4.0 defensive WAR year in 2013 was the real outlier.  On whole, maybe he's a little above average on D, but seems to be trending in the wrong direction. Half of his career WAR is from that 2013 year alone.

Is he really any better than a David Murphy?

Parra doesn't make any sense whatsoever.  Why go over the tax or have to dump salary to add a guy with a career ops+ of 97 that wouldn't really put us in a much better situation to win.  He's a marginal upgrade, but you'd still have to platoon him.  

Parra is the LF add at the end when you are one the edge and need that little push.  Kind of like Freese would be if we added one of the top remaining OFers.  Or if you added Davis and then traded Cron and Santiago for a legit 2bman.  

He's not a difference maker for us at this point unless there are still plans to make additional moves.  

Parra doesn't make any sense whatsoever.  Why go over the tax or have to dump salary to add a guy with a career ops+ of 97 that wouldn't really put us in a much better situation to win.  He's a marginal upgrade, but you'd still have to platoon him.  

Parra is the LF add at the end when you are one the edge and need that little push.  Kind of like Freese would be if we added one of the top remaining OFers.  Or if you added Davis and then traded Cron and Santiago for a legit 2bman.  

He's not a difference maker for us at this point unless there are still plans to make additional moves.  

Completely agree.  That's my point.  If that's the type of move you're going to make, just sign David Murphy or someone like that.  Cheaper, and probably close to as effective.

Completely agree.  That's my point.  If that's the type of move you're going to make, just sign David Murphy or someone like that.  Cheaper, and probably close to as effective.

Agreed on both counts. To me, it's Upton, Cespedes, or forget it. 

Meh.  According to dWAR, DRS, UZR, etc.  Parra has been a solid defender most of his career, but nothing elite outside of 2013 where he got most of his WAR value from his defense and hitting twice as many doubles as he ever has in any other year.  The past two seasons he rates as a below average defender and a below average player.  He had a 3 year stretch where he was a solid player (2-3 WAR) for two years with that one above average year mixed in.  The problem with having one stand out year based on defense is that its usually tied to some spectacular plays that were made.  Some players always make those plays.  Sometimes players just have one season they go all out and put their body on the line play after play.  That might have been one of those seasons he will never come close to repeating. (As an aside I feel the same way about Kole, which is why I wouldn't have minded him moving to LF if Heyward was signed.  He laid himself out over and over and over again and I'm not sure how sustainable that is.  A player can only do that so many times. Hes a good defender either way, just not sure he will consistently be the defender we saw last year.)

Anyways,  I just don't see the value in Parra.  He has declined from David Freese level value.  Meaning that his upside isn't very enticing.  Gentry is actually a similar player with similar upside, but a better track record and more speed.  He has been a better defender than Parra throughout his career.