• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Piazza and Griffey elected to HOF

nate

Well, Piazza was right. Even though he was the worst long-term starting defensive catcher I've ever watched. His unwillingness to improve his teams by getting extra at-bats, and improving the defense at the caching position, during the prime of his career cost him a chance at a ring. However, by moving to first base which is a less physically demanding and less defensively important position, he got into the Hall.

1. Finally, a heartfelt thank you to all the fans on Twitter/in person who continue to show love & support. My family and I are touched. (3/3)

289 retweets605 likes

Retweet

More

Next, I also want to thank everyone who advocated for me, especially @jonahkeri & @theaceofspaeder . I really appreciate it. (2/3)

212 retweets478 likes

Retweet

More

I would like to thank @officialBBWAA writers for once again considering my @baseballhall candidacy, the ultimate honor in the sport. (1/3)

316 retweets740 likes

Retweet

More

it can't be just the suggestion of steroids that keeps a player out. bonds, mcgwire, clemens, sosa; we all know did steroids. there is a preponderance of evidence. bonds threw it in your face and told you to sit and spin while he did it, those are the two big factors that will keep him out forever.

bagwell, piazza, sheffield, even david ortiz; as far as i'm aware there is only the suggestion that they may have taken them. 

We already know about Ortiz. He had a positive test in 2003

Really not on board with you on Mussina. He really was not that great of a pitcher. Durable as hell, logged lots of innings but really led the league in nothing his entire career. I mean nothing, no stand out performances where he was unhittable, no jaw dropping seasons, just kind of an average guy for lots of years then his last five years pretty mediocre.

You would be getting into the Chuck Finley category of pitcher quality if you're voting for Mussina.

24th best WAR by a SP -- ahead of guys like Glavine...    Career ERA+ of 123 -- again ahead of Glavine 118, and Finley 115..      Pitching in the same league at the same time as Pedro and Clemens tends to impact the leaderboards -- that being said -- his grey ink score of 250 is well above that of the average HOFer's 185.   His HOF monitor score of 121 is above the likely HOFers 100 and his HOF Standard score of 54 is again, above the HOF averages.   Chuck Finley doesn't come close to those numbers...

He's being underrated.  He wasn't an average guy -- he was a consistently well above average pitcher who was overshadowed by two of the greatest pitchers of all time.  But check at some of the advanced metrics and he was a top 10 all time pitcher when looking at the things he could control.    

So he was Don Sutton without the longevity.

Don sutton ERA+  108....   They aren't remotely the same guy..

Edited by Inside Pitch

Looks like 3 writers are still pissed that Griffey Sr didn't sign their baseballs in the 80's and are now getting their revenge by not voting in Griffey's son. That's the only explanation why Jr would not be voted on a ballot.

it still baffles me that players like ruth, gehrig, bench, mays, aaron, walter johnson, musial, and dimaggio didn't get 100% either.

Also, this was in today's LA times.  Might have been posted elsewhere, but whatever.

Say it ain't so -- Mike Piazza wants to go into the Hall not as a Dodger but a Met

Hell yeah! So glad to hear this!!!

...It was Summer of 1998. I was 12 at the time, and suddenly heard on the radio that the Doyers traded Mike Piazza for some bulls**t Charles Johnson catcher that was supposed to be better defensively, but couldn't hit worth crap (partly why I had such an issue with Jeff Mathis his entire Angel tenure). It didn't matter where Piazza was going, I was speechless when I heard they traded him away. "Are they out of their effing minds?" was all I could think. This was back when blockbuster trades of the best teams players at the deadline weren't so common (or didn't seem so common back then) as they are today.

At the time I was somewhat of an Angel/Doyer fan (just to support SoCal baseball, plus I LOVED listening to Vin Scully) and used to go with my parents to both stadiums. Admittedly I visited Angel stadium much more because I was an OC kid, it was so close, and the traffic to get to Dodger stadium sucked. I still remember going to Angel ballgames with just me and my mom when I was 6 years old when the stadium was still enclosed! She would take just me and her and bring peanuts and buy me a hot dog it was awesome!

At that very moment in the Summer of 1998, after hearing of the trade, I swore off the Doyers FOREVER! I decided it was a calling to became an Angel fan through and through, and once I put my Doyer cap in the trash, I knew I would never look back.

I've never regretted it since, and I never will. GO HALOS! And most of all, Congratulations Mike Piazza! One tappy papi!

it still baffles me that players like ruth, gehrig, bench, mays, aaron, walter johnson, musial, and dimaggio didn't get 100% either.

One theory that I heard today is that the limit of ten entries on each ballot has something to do with it. If a writer believes that more than ten candidates are worthy, he pulls his votes from the players who need them the least.

Ty Cobb lived awhile back flop lol

So?  doesn't change the fact that this is about baseball achievement, not personality.  The writers opinion of the person is completely moot.  It makes zero difference if the man was the biggest douche on the planet.. this isnt Hall of Nice Guys.

These writers are a bunch of hypocritical jerks.  Oh, i know, ill punish the asshole by being one.. great logic. 

Edited by floplag