• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Vlad Talks HOF Cap Decision

ABC

I was curious to compare Vlad's stats with Montreal vs. the Angels so using baseball reference (nerd bored on lunch break) I came up with the following:

Per game averages:

Runs - Angels

Hits - Angels but almost identical at 1.22 vs. 1.21 per game

2B's - .229 with Angels .225 with Montreal

3B's - Montreal

HR's - Montreal

RBI's - Angels

SB - Montreal

BB - Montreal

Simple average using final number for each season (excluding his first season where he played 9 games) with both teams:

BA - Montreal

OBP - Montreal

SLG - Montreal

OPS - Montreal 

OPS + - Montreal

Runs and RBI's are more a function of the lineups he played with.  Some of it's closer than I thought and from a totals perspective Montreal wins but that's skewed by the fact he played more games there.  Anyways I don't think the fact that the Angels don't have someone in the HOF and Montreal does should mean anything as far as what cap he would go in with.  The HOF isn't a "every team gets someone in" as that's like the overly PC "everyone gets a trophy" mantra too many people were raised on.

Well Vlad good news, you don't get to pick.

I had looked it up after you posted this and found the first 2 links I looked at backed up what you are saying, but then I read an mlb article today saying Griffey and Piazza chose what cap they are wearing. Did this recently change or is it a misconception that they don't get to pick?

In 2001, the Hall of Fame decided to change the policy on cap logo selection, as a result of rumors that some teams were offering compensation, such as number retirement, money, or organizational jobs, in exchange for the cap designation. (For example, though Wade Boggs denied the claims, some media reports had said that his contract with the Tampa Bay Devil Raysrequired him to request depiction in the Hall of Fame as a Devil Ray.)[27] The Hall decided that it would no longer defer to the inductee, though the player's wishes would be considered, when deciding on the logo to appear on the plaque. Newly elected members affected by the change include the following:

• Gary Carter: Inducted in 2003, Carter was the first player to be affected by the new policy. Carter won his only championship with the 1986 New York Mets, and wanted his induction plaque to depict him wearing a Mets cap, though he had spent twelve years (1974–84, 1992) with the Montreal Expos and five (1985–89) with the Mets. The Hall of Fame decided that Carter's impact on the Montreal franchise warranted depicting him with an Expos cap.[28]
  • Wade Boggs: Boggs's only championship was as a member of the 1996 New York Yankees, for whom he played from 1993–97, but his best career numbers were posted during his eleven years (1982–92) wearing the Boston Red Sox uniform. Boggs would eventually be depicted wearing a Boston cap for his 2005 induction.
  • Andre Dawson: Dawson's cap depicts him as a member of the Expos, his team for eleven years, despite his expressed preference to be shown as a member of the Chicago Cubs. While Dawson played only six years with the Cubs, five of his eight All-Star appearances were as a Cub, and his only MVP award came in his first year with the team in 1987.[29][30]
  • Tony La Russa: La Russa managed three teams in a 33-year career in that role—the Chicago White Sox, Oakland Athletics, and St. Louis Cardinals. His greatest successes were with the A's (three pennants and a World Series title in 10 years) and Cardinals (three pennants and two World Series in 16 years). Nonetheless, La Russa felt that his induction to the Hall was due to his tenures with all three teams, and stated that not including a logo meant that "fans of all [three] clubs can celebrate this honor with me."[31] La Russa's biography on the Hall's website lists his primary team as the Cardinals.
  • Greg Maddux: Although Maddux had his greatest success while with the Atlanta Braves for 11 seasons, he had two stints with the Chicago Cubs for a total of 10 seasons, including the first seven of his MLB career. Maddux believed that both fanbases were equally important in his career, and so the cap on his plaque does not feature any logo.[31] His biography on the Hall's website lists his primary team as the Braves.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Baseball_Hall_of_Fame_and_Museum

Should have never had team logos on these in the first place. It's celebrating the player and their career. Should have just had them with a blank cap and list the teams they played on. Fans of those teams who had fond memories of that player can celebrate them and consider them part of their franchise as a HOFer

Well bb the Hall pre-dates free agency. Most great players back then really spent most of their careers with one team. When I think of the all time greats of yesteryear it's very easy to identify the team the player was associated with. That probably stayed true until the 70's.