• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Eppler: "had converstations with LF FAs 24 hours ago"

ABC

MLB Hot Stove this morning showed that of the major free agent signings in the 12/13 offseason, 7 out of 8 were busts and most of those players were traded. The only considered successful signing was Greinke because he opted out.

Exactly and people continue to expect Arte to write checks for mega millions to players whom rarely perform to the level of the contract. I'm glad that Arte finally got it but the franchise will be in flux until Eppler reverses the damage.

I think the concern going over the lux tax this year is ... the second time offense is 30%. This could hamstring us in 2017.

Uhh, they will clear off $31 million (Wilson and Weaver) after 2016. Adding one of the LFers and a solid reliever within the next month will not add anymore than say $23-$25 million AAV. If the LT goes over by $10 million in 2017, that's only $3 million tax, big whoop. And then Hackilton's $25 million AAV (or whatever remaining of it) is finally cleared after 2017. No tax by then

Edited by Angel Oracle

Exactly and people continue to expect Arte to write checks for mega millions to players whom rarely perform to the level of the contract. I'm glad that Arte finally got it but the franchise will be in flux until Eppler reverses the damage.

Trading away our two best pitching prospects wasn't my idea of beginning to reverse the damage...but we'll see....

Trading away our two best pitching prospects wasn't my idea of beginning to reverse the damage...but we'll see....

For now that's a wash at least and probably will be for at least the next two years.  Worst case is that Simmons isn't the defensive stud we expect and his bat stays the same.  Best case is that he continues to be the defensive wizard he has been and his bat comes around a bit giving him even more value.  Newcomb and Ellis still have to develop and who knows if that's gonna happen in 2016 or much later.  

Even if Newcomb and Ellis turn into studs, you can always trade Simmons for a couple of other stud prospects as he's not even in his prime yet.  

It's not like trading for some bloated contract or for a one or two year rental on a player in their 30's.  

In other words, it's likely he'll be worth some other team's newcomb and ellis for at least the next 3-4 years.  

still think that the longer those guys go unsigned, the better shot we have at landing one.  Eppler, Arte and the rest of the FO read this market spot on.  

Also, it might be stupid of me but Im really hoping for big things out of Simmons.  Why would any Angel fan hope for anything different ?

Edited by UndertheHalo

The Angels traded from a position of strength ... not sure why some of you still don't get it.

i think everybody gets it.....we just disagree about the wisdom of the trade....we'll see how it shakes out....

For now that's a wash at least and probably will be for at least the next two years.  Worst case is that Simmons isn't the defensive stud we expect and his bat stays the same.  Best case is that he continues to be the defensive wizard he has been and his bat comes around a bit giving him even more value.  Newcomb and Ellis still have to develop and who knows if that's gonna happen in 2016 or much later.  

Even if Newcomb and Ellis turn into studs, you can always trade Simmons for a couple of other stud prospects as he's not even in his prime yet.  

It's not like trading for some bloated contract or for a one or two year rental on a player in their 30's.  

In other words, it's likely he'll be worth some other team's newcomb and ellis for at least the next 3-4 years.  

Major league players are depreciable assets. They maintain value for a time, but they are almost always trending down. The market for Simmons could be better next year, but his relative value will almost certainly be less because he will have one less year left on his contract and he will be one year older. 

Major league players are depreciable assets. They maintain value for a time, but they are almost always trending down. The market for Simmons could be better next year, but his relative value will almost certainly be less because he will have one less year left on his contract and he will be one year older. 

They are not always depreciating assets.  Their value is multi-factorial.  Sometimes they are on the left side of the value bell curve.  

He'll have one less year of control, but he's entering his prime seasons which means his bat has a good chance of improving.  

Take Brandon Crawford as an example.  Pretty pedestrian with the bat at age 25, and 26 and then at age 28 he breaks out.  

SS in general is very much like C that way.  Guys get brought up because of their defense because it's typically a defensive minded position.  As long as the bat is serviceable, they hang.  Then the offense creeps up and peaks at 27-30.  

Aybar, Rollins, Ian Desmond etc.  All with appropriate peaks at the plate.  

The risk is more in the guys you sent in the other direction being worth more than anticipated.  But I think the odds are very good we could recoup the initial cost of simmons or very close to it.  

This doesn't make me like the trade, because I don't, but there is value there that actually has as good of a chance to actually go up as it does down.