• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Kenta Maeda to Doyyers

bloodbrother

Christopher meola ‏@DfineNrmLC

@mlbtraderumors @MLBONFOX Kenta Maedas deal is for 8yrs 24 Million, + 10-12 million a yr in incentives. 3 million AAV. Creative deal for LA.

This is the type of deal that I've been talking about for years. This is the only type of deal I would offer FA's in the future. It can benefit either side. If the player performs at a high level they can make a ton of money. If they suck the team has a reduced liability. I like this deal a lot.

This is the type of deal that I've been talking about for years. This is the only type of deal I would offer FA's in the future. It can benefit either side. If the player performs at a high level they can make a ton of money. If they suck the team has a reduced liability. I like this deal a lot.

So then it doesn't help both sides. Is it fair, sure, but that's not how it goes. The demand is always there for top free agents. If that's the only offer you'd offer free agency you'd never sign a MLB free agency that wasn't coming off of injury.

So then it doesn't help both sides. Is it fair, sure, but that's not how it goes. The demand is always there for top free agents. If that's the only offer you'd offer free agency you'd never sign a MLB free agency that wasn't coming off of injury.

I'm just a fan of players earning their money each and every game for every season the team is on the hook for. It's crazy to guarantee contracts 5-6-7 to 10 years @ $150M -$250M because of what a guy did yesterday.

So you don't like Major League Baseball after the 70's?

What's wrong with incentive based contracts? Players would start with a guaranteed base contract and work their way up from there. Players like Harper and Trout could make up to $100M per year based on their superior performances and awards while guys like Willits would make about $500k. You play well you get paid well.

Nothing's wrong with them except some other team will guarantee the money. Oh and if Trout or Harper make $100 million then because of your adversity to the luxury tax neither will ever win a WS because the rest of the team will get paid nothing. Heaven forbid you have two very great players then your payroll will be $275 million. Imagine if Stanton and Fernandez have incredible seasons each get $100 million and they still miss the playoffs because the Mets have four $100 million starting pitchers.

Barring injuries, Maeda has the stuff to compete in the MLB IMO. When he's on the field, he's probably gonna surprise a lot of people around the League. He's more than just a 4th man in the rotation. If anything this is more a knock on Japanese baseball and its style of play. Their premier players are/seem worn out by the time they get their opportunity in the show. I'm sure the Angels signing process wouldn't have been much different, especially after all of our sure fire signings. I can't say if they would have gotten so creative with their contract or not but to also write him off seems naive. 

The ulnar ligament issue is a huge concern admittedly, especially after seeing that Maeda has pitched at least close to 200 innings for 8 straight seasons in Japan.  

That is a big risk to take, granted he wouldn't be the first to excel in his mid 30s after TJ surgery, as the originator himself won 20 games at age 34 after undergoing it 3 years earlier.

Edited by Angel Oracle

Its a concern for all pitchers but your right. He was a work horse over there no doubt and my point still holds true though. By the time their big stars get their chance over here, they are burnt out. The Dodgers came out ahead in this deal regardless IMO. His base salary is of no concern, especially to a team like the Dodgers. This is gonna end up being a success for them, as long as his arm isn't just hanging on by the ligament.

Edited by DailyHalo