• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Kenta Maeda to Doyyers

bloodbrother

Financial parameters remain unclear, but there is some chatter about how the deal may be framed. Meola says (Twitter links) that the contract could reach eight years in duration — though it’s not clear what portion would be guaranteed — and will contain significant incentives. And Joel Sherman of the New York Post tweets that the “complicated” contract is for “at least” five years, adding that performance-driven considerations feature prominently.

I'll believe it when it becomes OFFICIAL! Barring injuries, the Angels are going to regret not signing him!

First off if the Angels offered the same contract as the Dodgers he would still be a Dodger, they would have to overpay. Also scouts think he's a #3 and Keith Law said a #4, time will tell but I doubt highly the Angels will regret it , even if he's good.

here are the details:

セフレになってくれませんか? [/size]#恋愛

Just so you know, this clown is like the Ken Rosenthal of Japan, which was obvious in the first line of his tweet. But then again, I'm sure that everyone here already knew that.

Christopher meola ‏@DfineNrmLC

@mlbtraderumors @MLBONFOX Kenta Maedas deal is for 8yrs 24 Million, + 10-12 million a yr in incentives. 3 million AAV. Creative deal for LA.

+ the $20 million posting.  Even if he hits all his incentives, it's 8/$56 million total.  That's a really nice deal, with lots of upside.

Christopher meola ‏@DfineNrmLC

@mlbtraderumors @MLBONFOX Kenta Maedas deal is for 8yrs 24 Million, + 10-12 million a yr in incentives. 3 million AAV. Creative deal for LA.

wait.  WTF?  10-12 in incentives per year?  

gonna be very interesting to see the details on this one.  on the surface it would seem to be tied to the number of games started and if he's marginally successful, then it's gonna be close to 100mil total with the posting fee.  Also, my guess is that he would be able to opt into arbitration at some point.  

Were the dodgers the only team that made a max post for him? 

Looking at it more, it would be $20 + $24 + $80-96.  So max of 8/$124-$140, min of 8/$44.  With only $3 million counted against the cap initially. 

If he hits his marks, you would have to think he's successful.  So $15-18 million if he's successful.  And a bit over $5 if he's unsuccessful. 

I'd still take that.  It's actually a great way to get around the guaranteed contract.  A really great way to get around it.

Edited by gotbeer

Looking at it more, it would be $20 + $24 + $80-96.  So max of 8/$124-$140, min of 8/$44.  With only $3 million counted against the cap initially. 

If he hits his marks, you would have to think he's successful.  So $15-18 million if he's successful.  And a bit over $5 if he's unsuccessful. 

I'd still take that.  It's actually a great way to get around the guaranteed contract.  A really great way to get around it.

those incentives will count against the cap should they hit which means they cost the dogs up to 50% more but I agree.  It seems like a well constructed deal and frankly, the kind of deal I would like to see more teams do going forward.  With the opt outs getting popular, the teams need to protect themselves a bit more.  I am fine with the opt outs as long as the back end money isn't a total wet blanket.  

As an example, giving Cespedes a 7yr deal with an 2yr opt out and 60-70mil guaranteed on the back end with incentives that could push it to 140 or 150 seems smarter.  

The only thing is, as the CBA is currently constructed, the incentive based deals seem more geared to work for pitchers than position players.  # of starts correlates to performance to some degree whereas # of games played for a position player may or may not.  

Regardless, this is especially smart for a somewhat unproven commodity.