• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

How did we miss this one? LOL

Tank

What I read says you don't have to pass an exit exam. It's been a while but I don't remember taking one of those.

This.  We basically revert back to the "way it was when I was in public school". Everyone that finished "earned" a diploma.  Really though, the high school diploma is useless to employers.  It would seem the ones who might care are providing jobs to the ones who might struggle to earn one anyway. 

Should actually read something besides Breitbart and Alan West

Senate Bill 725 by Loni Hancock, D­-Oakland, was quickly passed by the Assembly last Thursday and by the Senate on Monday as urgency legislation to solve a dilemma that arose when about 5,000 students were denied the opportunity to retake the test in July. The state Department of Education cancelled the exam because its contract with the testing company was expiring and education officials wanted to avoid spending millions of dollars to renew the contract for a test that some believed was outdated, since it was not aligned with the new Common Core standards.

Gov. Jerry Brown did not issue a statement about why he signed the bill. But his office issued a statement that said he did not want students’ future plans to be jeopardized.

“Students who’ve been accepted into college should not be prevented from starting class this fall because of a test cancellation they could not control,” said Deputy Press Secretary Deborah Hoffman. “The governor signed this bill to ensure these students begin their college careers.”

Jack O’Connell, who authored the legislation that required the exit exam before he served as state Superintendent of Public Instruction from 2003-11, said in anEdSource commentary that this specific test, put into place in 2006, “was always meant to be temporary.”

“We were transitioning to new state academic standards, and we knew those standards would change again in the future,” he said. “I’ve always believed that our assessment and accountability systems need to be coherent and avoid duplicative and unnecessary testing, and the current version of the high school exit exam is neither aligned to our standards nor essential to the development of our new accountability system.”

http://edsource.org/2015/governor-signs-bill-exempting-seniors-from-exit-exam/85533

A high school diploma to me is/was not about having the piece of paper to show employers. I don't think anyone has ever asked me to see it. In fact I don't think anyones even asked for my University Degree. A high school diploma is in many ways like a degree, it means you can stick to something long enough, and work hard enough, to show up when you need to and get the work done that is necessary over a certain course of time. It's kinda like a job prep internship to prepare you for the next chapter of your life.

I totally agree high school is a meaningless waste of time for a certain percent of intelligent youngsters who could better spend their time in a university or getting hands on experience in a field of their interest. If they can test out, more power to them. But just handing out degrees? What the f**k is going on? Why is this state, this country, continuing to cater to the lower echelon of society, breeding know-nothing numskulls, instead of telling them to wake the f**k up, and start getting their life together, and that things aren't going to be easy for them by fuc*ing it all off and getting it handed to them? Why is this the society people want to breed? They aren't just going to be automatically taken care of because they're alive.

This doesn't help anybody. If you can't read and write at an 8th grade level or do basic algebra by the time you're 16, I'm not really sure what you can do besides serve popcorn at the movie theater or push buttons at the Sears. Even then your job is short lived because before long if wages keep increasing, companies are going to be having computers and machines to take those jobs, because they don't have to pay them $15 an hour.

Have fun on the streets begging for money! Those folks sure look like they're having a blast in the cold texting while cruising on 2 wheeled non-hovering-boards!